Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the mexican fighting spirit and style come from their Aztec warrior blood?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico is big place... the Azteca civilization existed in southern/central Mexico.

Guys like Julio Cesar Chavez, Erik Morales, and Andy Ruiz are from northern Mexico (Sonora/Sinaloa/Baja California/California-USA). It's possible that their ancestors came from the Azteca region, but also possible their ancestry is Raramuri/Tarahumara (and indigenous people world re-known for their extreme stamina) or some other northern people who are not Azteca.

Last edited by USMCer; 06-07-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Great question! Having been born here,(grew up in the U.S. but been living in Mexico for the past 13 years) I personally think it might have to do something with that along with the Spaniards. The Spanish came and conquered Mexico and took over and began to spread their population here. That is why there are many white-skinned Mexicans, and light-skinned like Canelo, Juan Manuel Marquez, Cesar Chavez etc. I think a lot has to do with the Spanish genes along with the Aztec and native roots here before the Spanish conquered.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        No. No truth at all. Just romantic BS. Fighting spirit is an individual thing and no country or race has a monopoly on it. The Aztecs were just one large tribe of dozens of tribes of Indians living in Mexico when the Spanish came to Mexico. Who says their warriors had more fighting spirit than any of the other tribes????? The Spanish conquered them all. The vast majority of Mexican boxers probably have very little or no Aztec blood and we have no idea which ones do. Boxing is a big deal in Mexico so that might help make Mexican boxers fight extra hard but the Aztecs have nothing to do with that. As I said fighting spirit is an individual thing. Most Mexicans carry some Spanish blood so maybe the Spanish conquerors of Mexico contribute to their fighting spirit if you think it works that way and I don't. After all those guys were some bad MFers and they conquered the Aztecs and all the other tribes and they were always outnumbered.
        That is incorrect, center/northern Mexico was particularly tough:

"At the end of the 1500’s the Spanish used their last resort which was to pay the Chichimeca tributes in exchange for peace. "In trade for peace, Villamanrique offered food, clothing, lands, agricultural implements and red haired women/children from sea side villages. Those women were traded more specifically in exchange for seized gold/silver. Evident in the influence of dark brownish-reddish hair especially in infants within the population of the southern Guachihil territories between La Montesa and Milagros, Zacatecas. 'This policy of 'purchase for peace worked and by the end of the Sixteenth Century, the Chichimeca War had ended" (Schmal)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichi...ichimeca%20War

Although I agree that this "aztec warrior" slogan is BS, there were hundreds of ethnic groups in Mexico, the term was manufactured by TV station wankers that have no respect for the other mexican ethnics and history
        Last edited by Phantomas; 06-10-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

It comes from growing up generally poorer than most of the other countries. It's why you don't see a lot of fighters who were well off or rich (outside of generational fighters) at the top of the game. Same reason employees from foreign war torn countries have a good work ethic....what seems like harder work to you is just an easier day compared to their previous life. Y'all read too much into this ****...

Comment

Cultural. A lot of Mexicans raise their boys to be men in the traditional alpha man mold. They take pride in winning and aren't into all these 9th place trophies we hand out in America. Back when I was training fighters and sparring with them, the Mexican fighters were the most resilient. They would not stop coming at you until you put them down, they really made you work for it, no quit in them.

Comment

Working...
            X