Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GB trying to sabotage network deals before they start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GB trying to sabotage network deals before they start?

This thing about putting the undercard to a terrible Khan fight on CBS strikes me as nothing but sabotage. It's been pretty obvious for a while now that GB isn't really too gone on getting boxing back onto a major network, and it's probably fair to say they'll do what they can to keep the sport on HBO and Showtime which are the two highest payers. If boxers start getting drafted by other networks, the promoters start losing out on cash big time.

This would apply to GB especially since they essentially own Showtime at this stage and they're trying to build a franchise on it. Using Oscar logic I don't see why they would even want boxing to appear on another network. They'd only be creating new rivals. So long story short, GB will give CBS these undercard fights, probably some of the cheapest and stingiest ones they could throw their way, then when it fails to get good ratings, Oscar can cross his arms and pretend they tried.#

At least Duva has set up the best fight she could with her stable of boxers. I don't expect much from it either but compared to what GB is doing Adamek-Cunningham looks like Mayweather vs Pac. I'm still thinking TR and GB will find some way to interfere with that. I'm telling you, those guy don't want boxing to do well on other networks. If it does well they're only going to lose out on money from the cable networks.

All said and done GB are setting up a show they expect to bomb, and when it fails they'll cross their arms and say "oh well we tried." Low ratings here will guarantee CBS don't come looking for show number 2 and GB know this. The demand for boxing to return to network TV will also die down some as boxing fans, being the gullible plebs they're known to be, will be too ashamed when nobody tunes in to see Amir Khan's undercard fight.
    Last edited by croz; 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM.

very interesting thread. I never thought about this this way...

but one thing, isn't CBS owned by Showtime or they other way around?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

We get it, you love Top Rank.

Comment

Bob, is that you?

Comment

boxing fans are idiots. What you gonna do next call me a Mayweather or pacman nuthugger? That always makes things go away.
          Last edited by croz; 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
            very interesting thread. I never thought about this this way...

but one thing, isn't CBS owned by Showtime or they other way around?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            Something like that but they have their own interests independent of each other

Comment

They'll probably try and use CBS to feed into Showtime subscriptions. They want to be the top premium cable channel that overtakes HBO.

Comment

Cbs owns Showtime... Didn't even bother reading the rest of your book after that first stupid sentence

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                  boxing fans are idiots. What you gonna do next call me a Mayweather or pacman nuthugger? That always makes things go away.
                  Hey Bob, is JMM vs Pac 4 "just business" too?

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Zyzz View Post
                    Cbs owns Showtime... Didn't even bother reading the rest of your book after that first stupid sentence
                    This has nothing to do with CBS owning Showtime. They operate independent of each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X