Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes this fight any different to De La Hoya vs Pacquiao?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    When you're fighting a shell of a fighter, it doesn't matter how many divisions you jumped.

Pacquiao was heavier than Oscar on fight night...
    I disagree.

What Pac did surprised almost everyone. He doesnt get enough credit for his win over Oscar. (by non-pac-tards) The fact he was able to put in great non-stop, lightening fast, power punching performances at super-feather, lightweight, and then welterweight in the space of a few months.
    His movement, timing and accuracy were sublime against Oscar.
    If he had stayed in front of Oscar, it could have maybe been a slightly different fight. Whenever Oscar tried pinning him to the ropes he slipped away, gave him angels, and countered perfectly.

Yes, Oscar was drained, old and ****, but Pac fought a great fight. Something very few, if any fighters could have achieved.

Comment

Dawson is in his prime and coming off the biggest win of his career. De La Hoya was shot and couldn't pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
        I disagree.

What Pac did surprised almost everyone. He doesnt get enough credit for his win over Oscar. (by non-pac-tards) The fact he was able to put in great non-stop, lightening fast, power punching performances at super-feather, lightweight, and then welterweight in the space of a few months.
        His movement, timing and accuracy were sublime against Oscar.
        If he had stayed in front of Oscar, it could have maybe been a slightly different fight. Whenever Oscar tried pinning him to the ropes he slipped away, gave him angels, and countered perfectly.

Yes, Oscar was drained, old and ****, but Pac fought a great fight. Something very few, if any fighters could have achieved.
        It was just the right fighter, at the right time, under the right circumstances. People say pernell was way past his prime against oscar even though he won that fight to me, he would have easily beat pac in place of oscar that night.

Comment

pac went up 2 weight divisions to beat a weightdrained fighter

ward stayed in his comfort zone to beat a weightdrained fighter

thats the only but big difference

Comment

Originally posted by ROYistheGOAT View Post
            It was just the right fighter, at the right time, under the right circumstances. People say pernell was way past his prime against oscar even though he won that fight to me, he would have easily beat pac in place of oscar that night.
            Again, that sounds like an excuse not to give Pac any credit. Sweet Pea is an ATG. And Pacs game that night was perfect. Pac also then took on nearly all the big names at WW.

Pac has major flaws, and could be easily outboxed by a very good technician, but credit where credit is due.

In the same way, Ward had a great win last night, because he put in a great performance, and adjusted so quickly.

Comment

Again, that sounds like an excuse not to give Pac any credit. Sweet Pea is an ATG. And Pacs game that night was perfect. Pac also then took on nearly all the big names at WW.

Pac has major flaws, and could be easily outboxed by a very good technician, but credit where credit is due.

In the same way, Ward had a great win last night, because he put in a great performance, and adjusted so quickly.
              Sweet pea is an atg yet some people would rate pac ahead of him for some ******ed reason. Knowing pea would embarrass the kid something ridiculous. I mean let's be real for a second, pac made bradley look as slick as zahir raheem, and raheem wasn't close to pea level. I give pac credit. The thing is, i was a fan of pac way back. It doesn't matter that i don't remember his opponents, but i was a fan of the guy before he knocked out jorge julio. Before the tyson-holyfield fight, i was telling everyone at the fight party to watch his fight because the guy is exciting and ends fights quickly. But there comes a time and point where you have to take a stand. Pacquiao wouldn't have beat the pernell that oscar got a gift against, he wouldn't have beat the pernell that jcc got a clear gift against. Pernell would have embarrassed pac for 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ROYistheGOAT View Post
                Sweet pea is an atg yet some people would rate pac ahead of him for some ******ed reason. Knowing pea would embarrass the kid something ridiculous. I mean let's be real for a second, pac made bradley look as slick as zahir raheem, and raheem wasn't close to pea level. I give pac credit. The thing is, i was a fan of pac way back. It doesn't matter that i don't remember his opponents, but i was a fan of the guy before he knocked out jorge julio. Before the tyson-holyfield fight, i was telling everyone at the fight party to watch his fight because the guy is exciting and ends fights quickly. But there comes a time and point where you have to take a stand. Pacquiao wouldn't have beat the pernell that oscar got a gift against, he wouldn't have beat the pernell that jcc got a clear gift against. Pernell would have embarrassed pac for 12 rounds.
                Thats fantasy matchup stuff. Kinda irrelevant imo.
                His performance against Oscar was a great one. Flattering, but still great.

Comment

Thats fantasy matchup stuff. Kinda irrelevant imo.
                  His performance against Oscar was a great one. Flattering, but still great.
                  The thing is, pernell vs pac fantasy matchup is viable, even though it would be at an unnecessary catchweight at 144 would would backfire against pac. Pernell is probably the second best after roy p4p in the last thirty years, maybe more. Pernell embarrassed chavez, how that fight was a draw ill never understand. I stopped watching it after 9 rounds, had pernell up 8-1, was no reason to continue.

Comment

Something insteresting for those using the the "Pac came up 2 divisions" line. He came in at 145lbs on the night against Marquez in their second fight (after a 129lbs weigh-in). What did he enter the ring at against DLH again? The division was circumstantial but Pac was operating physically where he had been for a while (see his other in-ring weights against Morales and Diaz). On fight night, Ward and Pac were in their confort zones and their opponents weren't, well actually Dawson was but making weight affected him. DLH had a rehydration clause against him.

Both performances were something to talk about, but after Pac/DLH, the cat was well and truly out of the bag when looking at fights like this. Hype couldn't work again.

Comment

Its simple math

A bigger man loosing 7 pounds will loose less % of his body mass compared to a smaller man loosing 7 pounds.

Dawson did not look anymore drained then Ward, Ward was just soo blistering good that Dawson gave up.

Its the worst kind of beating you can get

Comment

Working...
                      X