No announcement yet.

15 years ago today: Oscar stops Vargas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 years ago today: Oscar stops Vargas

De La Hoya trying to shoulder roll and almost getting knocked through the ropes

I remember this fight, Vargas talked soo much shhh and got that azz stamped and mailed.

Comment

Good fight. Will always remember Oscar having the cup up to his nipples.

Comment

Cant believe this was 15 years ago cuz it literally feels like yesterday. I watched this fight at a bar with a broken hand after beating somebody's azz the night before.

Build up to this figjt was pretty crazy from what i remember. There was so much animosity mainly from Vargas dude even roided up to the gills to win lol. Oscar did well that night weathering thr early storm to comeback. He should have retired right there because it was he perfect ending.

Comment

George Foreman was out of control that night. Dissing Mayweather Sr from round one to the end and refusing to give him credit. It was so ridiculous even Larry Merchant cut in. And the way George pronounces De la Hoya had me in tears. BTW, the finest performance of Oscar's career IMO. Great night of boxing.

Comment

Frightens me that it's already been 15 years....

Comment

great fight ,Oscars most memorable win

Comment

damn that was 15 years already? time flies. What a alltime great fight the hype was huge and it lived up and then some. There was so much bad blood that was not fake promotion, Vargas came in shredded like the terminator (later we found out he was roids) and was trying to take Oscars head off. Oscar who never really taunted or showboated after he drops Vargas does the ali shuffle. And lampley's call right before the ref saves Vargas life and stops it is iconic.

"DOWN GOES VAGAS! On another rocket left hook! A sensational left hook by DLH, again he set it up with body punches! Vargas jumps up off the canvas! Let me @ him! There's so much desire in Fernando Vargas, but a better fighter is beating him now! This would be the most satisfying moment of Oscar De la hoya's career. If he can finish this fight! If he can make Fernando Vargas eat his words... and he does! Oscar de La Hoya has the most satisfying, the richest, the biggest, the most emotional win of his whole career!"

Comment

One of my favourite fights of all time. It was personal for Oscar and he put on a great performance and shut Vargas' mouth..... I loved Vargas but I was behind Oscar all the way in this one. I don't think Vargas was the same again.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
                    De La Hoya trying to shoulder roll and almost getting knocked through the ropes

Was a great fight, one that made many boxing and ODLH fans on the same night.

Vargas talked all that ish and got his ish pushed in like Broner did by Maidana.

Not sure what you mean by "trying" to shoulder roll though, the philly shell isn't impeccable, and it was well known that when ODLH was training under Mayweather Sr he had added some philly variations to his toolbox.

Either way, green K for reminding us of this fantastic fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X