No announcement yet.

sparring with trainer (video)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
    What's the context of this? How much experience do you have? Amateur or pro? Country? Your trainer seems to be having fun but he's very unorthodox, which isn't going to help you if you're a novice.
    I live in Japan, and I'm an amateur. I don't know if I'll ever have an official fight though. I've been boxing for about 1 year.

On Sunday I have a "sparring competition". It's some of the guys from our gym and some of the guys from their 2nd gym. It's basically a bunch of matches but with headgear, and each fight is only 2, half-rounds. So all my training so far is for a grand total of 3 minutes.

My opponent has been decided, and it's the guy in this video with the blue headgear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfhCsOr-BA

He outboxed me in that half-round. Admittedly my headgear was very loose and there were times when I thought my opponent would realize when I wanted to adjust my headgear, since it wasn't a real fight, but he continued anyway. Like at 1:18 in the video. But the fact is he was generally better than me- he has twice as much experience as I do. I'm used to my opponents backing down and me going forward and cutting off the ring, but because he didn't seem to back down it was a very different fight to what I'm used to. My trainer keeps telling me I can beat him but to be honest I'm not so confident. He hits me too easily.

Comment

You've gotten a lot better from the last time I've seen you, you just have to consider that boxing can be very incremental.

I'd say footwork would be a key component to developing your overall body awareness. Everything starts from the ground up. I can see your legs look a little clunky and don't necessarily correspond with what your upper body is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
        You've gotten a lot better from the last time I've seen you, you just have to consider that boxing can be very incremental.

I'd say footwork would be a key component to developing your overall body awareness. Everything starts from the ground up. I can see your legs look a little clunky and don't necessarily correspond with what your upper body is doing.
        Thanks. Yes, I've realized recently that my footwork needs work, and that's what I'm going to concentrate on. Perhaps it's not so bad when I training but when it comes to a fight my technique suffers a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
          I live in Japan, and I'm an amateur. I don't know if I'll ever have an official fight though. I've been boxing for about 1 year.

On Sunday I have a "sparring competition". It's some of the guys from our gym and some of the guys from their 2nd gym. It's basically a bunch of matches but with headgear, and each fight is only 2, half-rounds. So all my training so far is for a grand total of 3 minutes.

My opponent has been decided, and it's the guy in this video with the blue headgear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfhCsOr-BA

He outboxed me in that half-round. Admittedly my headgear was very loose and there were times when I thought my opponent would realize when I wanted to adjust my headgear, since it wasn't a real fight, but he continued anyway. Like at 1:18 in the video. But the fact is he was generally better than me- he has twice as much experience as I do. I'm used to my opponents backing down and me going forward and cutting off the ring, but because he didn't seem to back down it was a very different fight to what I'm used to. My trainer keeps telling me I can beat him but to be honest I'm not so confident. He hits me too easily.
          Counter his jab with the right cross. He brings his left back low and he isn't quick enough to parry at least not every right. Keep throwing that right and you are going to break him down and get through.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
            Counter his jab with the right cross. He brings his left back low and he isn't quick enough to parry at least not every right. Keep throwing that right and you are going to break him down and get through.
            Thanks, I'll do my best.

Comment

Working...
            X