Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mistake EVERYBODY Makes Against Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KitangKatag View Post
    If Floyd faught cotto, margarito we would have a fair idea but he didnt, he fought fighters he can surely win and dominate with.
    How is that related to a defensive approach?

Margarito was a cheater. In retrospect - and it is retrospect - I guess it's a good thing he didn't get the shine.

Cotto? I would have liked to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      There really aren't that many good defensive fighters though, I would be hard pressed to name one he could have fought.

I guess he could have fought Spinks but I don't think that type of defense is stopping Floyd, nor do I really consider him a defensive guy just a guy who moves a lot.
      Casamayor is an excellent boxer. And was better defensively when he was younger.

And Floyd would have embarrassed Spinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
        Hey, primo.

Can you please do me a solid? If you disagree, just state why and educate. No need to belittle with insults.

I don't want this good boxing discussion to devolve to a flame war.

Gracias, mano
        Subtract the insults I laid upon that amateur, and the answer is pretty clear.

The counterpuncher always has the advantage because he gets to act second.

Like in poker, the guy in late position gets to evaluate your move before acting. Boxing is no different. I resent his posting style because he's an obvious neophyte with delusions of grandeur.

If you're gonna post, know what you're talking about. Don't be a blind fanboy. Its an embarrassment.

Props to you for keeping a level head tho'.

Respekkkt.

Comment

Floyd's ability to adapt is what makes him hard to beat.

If they come at him he's going to use defense and counter punching. If they try to defend and counter he's going to be on the offensive and racking up points.

A really good defensive fighter, if there were or are any he's faced, are few are far between.

I believe a fighter will have to match Floyd's skills, or at least come very close to matching them, to have a chance at beating him.

Comment

I always see the question asked: How will you attack Mayweather? How will you break through his defense?

I suggest a paradigm shift.

How about going in with a plan to DEFEND against Mayweather? How will Floyd feel when he can't hit you at will? When he can't get his offense off? When he feels uncomfortable because he isn't piling up points?

Now, you may ask :"Floyd's offense is not all that. Why should I be worried about his offense?"

That's the person from OUTSIDE the ring saying that. Once you get into the ring, those punches don't feel great. The guy has 25 KO's. Corrales, Hatton. Gatti. Good fighters. He knocked down Marquez. His offense had Shane completely discouraged. He isn't quite the feather-fist you imagine. Guys aren't trying to walk through him.

If I was going to fight Floyd, I would be focused on a BALANCED fight plan. I would be concerned with my defense as much - if not more - than my offense.

Believe me: Floyd expects every opponent to attack him. Judah did. Hatton did. Oscar did. Shane did. Ortiz will.

Flip the script. Give Floyd something to think about. Make him have to come out of his shell OFFENSIVELY.

For discussion....thoughts?

During floyds early years as a pro fighter, his offensive skill is already at a high level. As he pile up wins after wins, he became conscious and eventually obsessed with maintaining his undefeated record, thus resorted to more defensive stance.

In his fight with mosley, he clearly showed everybody his offensive skill is still there.

Comment

Casamayor is an excellent boxer. And was better defensively when he was younger.

And Floyd would have embarrassed Spinks.
              I am sure Floyd would have annihilated Spinks.

Casamayor is the one guy I would have liked to see him face at 130 he didn't that would have been a match of two masters. I don't know if he was capable of freezing Floyd out even at his best though but he is probably the most capable of trying to attempt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Cardon View Post
                In his fight with mosley, he clearly showed everybody his offensive skill is still there.
                I have to admit, that fight threw me for a loop. A little bit.

I expected Floyd to box him. But I fully expected Floyd to try to turn Shane all night. I didn't anticipate that Floyd would box Shane from 18 inches away. Even after he got rocked.

That was good stuff.

Comment

if u want to fight floyd with defence, u should be faster than him in terms of handspeed and footspeed, because if not, his offense, lead rights, jab to the body, potshots, jumping left hook, would still be able to catch up to you.
                  u should also be a patient as he is in countering him. Remember, mosley also tried backing off, and mayweather hits him at any angle he wants.
                  the situation will be likely u wait for mayweather, u counter him suddenly, u miss, mayweather gets the successful counter. i just dont think defence would be floyds weakness.

Comment

I see Roberto and Pernell giving Floyd hell.

Those guys had good defense which can exploit Floyd's low output style. Oscar's defensive skills made Floyd's offense look less impressive than usual.

Comment

You, sir, are a real fight fan. You see that **** that Floyd does with his hip.

I was a longtime wrestler. And they always told us "control the hips, control the body".

many people talk about how Manny works angles with his feet and punches. Floyd does the same - just with his hip.

Floyd and hopkins do a lot of the same things. The reason I feel May would beat Hop is because Hop has trouble with athletic guys: Jones, taylor, calzaghe, Pascal 1.

Floyd has as much (?) technical ability as Bernard, with superior athleticism. It would be like Bernard fighting himself...but in Roy jones' body.

nahmean?
                      We might have to agree to disagree there. Floyd is an incredible athlete, because he trains hard. I don't feel he has the kind of superhuman capabilities that Roy did. Floyd is all technique. RJJ was all natural ability, which is why when his reactions waned a little he turned from Mr Invincible to Mr Knockoutable. Mayweather does not wade in with his hands down and dodge shots by millimetres. He has perfected his style and turned it into an art form through dedicating his life to the sport and approaching it with intelligence, working exceptionally hard, and generally not taking his gifts for granted - something few top fighters do. Of course, he is physically gifted, but just not in the way RJJ was. I think Floyd has made the most of his exceptional talent with a studious approach to the sport, much of which was passed to him by his less privileged father and uncle. (Jones Jr frankly was a physical freak who paid the price for failing to acknowledge that he might one day lose his natural advantage.)

FWIW I believe Pacquiao has improved and gone from strength to strength because he also combines dedication and perfectionism in a similar way to Mayweather, just with a different style.

I just think stylistitcally Hopkins (in this hypothetical P4P equalized fight) is a uniquely bad match up for Mayweather - I can't think of (m)any others TBH. It would be a really ugly fight, and a close decision, with a lot of the fight spent grappling in close quarters.

Comment

Working...
                      X