Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Holyfield's holding in the first Tyson fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
    Holding and headbutting.
    ^^^^^This....

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
      Mike Tyson kept on initiating clinches also, and smothering his own work! (Evander Holyfield was not really holding on for dear life, he was just rough housing Mike Tyson! This is quite a stupid thread!)...
      totally agree, good post and nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
        It's because the AMerican heroes always get a pass in this regard. American fans feel like they own boxing.

When a guy like Wlad does the exact same thing he is called boring and a clincher. I mean breidis this last weekend was clinching just like ward, mayweather, and holyfield did- boxing people wrote articles about how boring it was, when in reality he was neutralizing Perez for rushing in with his head down(seemingly trying to land the headbutt).

Floyd made a career out of it but it was the "sweet science". Ward clinched his way to victory a few times as well.

The un American boxer just scares promoters and fans in some circles, for reasons I do not know.
        No, not the anti American theory. Last weekend, Breidis did more holding than Floyd or Evander ever did.

Comment

Cuz it's 2017 and that's old sh^t.

If you wanna hear some cats talk about it doe Tyson had Lennox Lewis on his podcast a month or two ago and they talked about how dirty Holyfield was.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
            It's because the AMerican heroes always get a pass in this regard. American fans feel like they own boxing.

When a guy like Wlad does the exact same thing he is called boring and a clincher. I mean breidis this last weekend was clinching just like ward, mayweather, and holyfield did- boxing people wrote articles about how boring it was, when in reality he was neutralizing Perez for rushing in with his head down(seemingly trying to land the headbutt).

Floyd made a career out of it but it was the "sweet science". Ward clinched his way to victory a few times as well.

The un American boxer just scares promoters and fans in some circles, for reasons I do not know.
            This I totally agree with. The irony is that Wladimir Klitschko wasn't even much of a clincher pre-2012. He was winning bouts against top opponents using clean boxing and most of the time, he was stopping those opponents.

On the other hand, the likes of Andre Ward have to use multiple illegal moves and are still rarely able to stop their opponents. Andre Ward hasn't beaten a single opponent without controversy and without using illegal moves.

Maris Breidis only fought like that once. Outside his fight against Mike Perez, I don't ever recall him using similar illegal moves. He beat many past opponents using clean boxing.

When something happens consistently, then that's when there becomes a serious issue. Consistent actions reflect the type of person someone is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
              People can make all kinds of excuses but the bottom line is this: Holyfield absolutely schooled, whooped and did a number on Mike Tyson in both fights, he was beating Tyson in all aspects of the game, he wasn't excessively holding, he wasn't intentionally headbutting, he was controlling Tyson the way any veteran in the game would do to neutralize a short aggressive fighter, tricks of the trade, no return fire, excellent job by Holyfield in both fights.

I'll say this though, Holyfield was definitley roided up to the gills in both fights, I'm sure Tyson was also on something but I think the stuff Holyfield was on was way more hardcore, but that's only my opinion though. That's the only thing I can say in favor of Mike and it's only a speculaion, we'll never know for a fact since drug testing in heavyweight boxing at the time was a joke.

come on bruh

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                This I totally agree with. The irony is that Wladimir Klitschko wasn't even much of a clincher pre-2012. He was winning bouts against top opponents using clean boxing and most of the time, he was stopping those opponents.

On the other hand, the likes of Andre Ward have to use multiple illegal moves and are still rarely able to stop their opponents. Andre Ward hasn't beaten a single opponent without controversy and without using illegal moves.

Maris Breidis only fought like that once. Outside his fight against Mike Perez, I don't ever recall him using similar illegal moves. He beat many past opponents using clean boxing.

When something happens consistently, then that's when there becomes a serious issue. Consistent actions reflect the type of person someone is.

he didnt clinch at all before steward. to a fault. He didnt know how to tie up brewster and sanders when he was hurt. Stewart taught him to fight like lennox and hold a lot more often. funny everyone forgets how bad lennox hugged and how much he was criticized back in the day for it, same style except he had an upper cut.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  Probably because Tyson biting a piece of Holyfield's ear off overshadowed anything Holyfield did wrong. In the long history and millions of boxing matches how many boxers have had a chunk of their ear bitten off?
                  Thats why he did it. Holding/hitting, elbows, headbutts. Tyson don't play that homie.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    Probably because Tyson biting a piece of Holyfield's ear off overshadowed anything Holyfield did wrong. In the long history and millions of boxing matches how many boxers have had a chunk of their ear bitten off?
                    Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                    Thats why he did it. Holding/hitting, elbows, headbutts. Tyson don't play that homie.
                    We are talking about the first fight, its in the thread title for god sake. It wasn't mentioned even back then, it was like everyone was just happy Tyson got toppled.

McNulty - yeah I agree Holyfield got away with a lot in the fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
                      Tyson has said mills lane was a holyfield inner circle guy. Not sure why nobody mentions holding. That wAs pretty much only way to beat tyson back then, jab him to keep him away but when he busted through hold on to him until ref calls break and step back. Its funny about tyson, he was probably overrated back in his day a little bit, but underrated nowadays imo. He my favorite all time fighter though because he was perfect introduction to kids of the fight game during the first wave of the add generations lol. Kill or be killed basically.
                      I never knew that about Mills Lane.

Comment

Working...
                      X