Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

View Poll Results: Does the new breed of casual boxing fans put too much emphasis on fighters' records?
Yes 66 79.52%
No 11 13.25%
Maybe 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 PM #11
Trousersnake Fondler

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Southpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 155,816,138,501,472,032.00
Total Points: 155,816,138,501,497,056.00
No Message - -veteran420- No Message - -veteran420- good for the liver lad - -veteran420- 5 years, pity I missed the 1st 4 - Clyde Barrow merry xmas - Subtraction 
No Message - - v e t - Merry Christmas - Flab Care to join me? :) x - *Boss Lady* Happy new year! - Toney Loc :) - *Boss Lady* 
:kiss: - *Boss Lady* :flirt: - *Boss Lady* :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Yes, your majesty. Your wish is my command. - *Boss Lady* Did you know that I walked around saying ... 'Breakdown, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit ... ALL DAY LONG?! That would be your fault! - *Boss Lady* 
I need a drink, fancy it? - Bossy You're sex on legs. I'll get the pints. :luvbed: - Bossy Easter pint for my e-lover :love: - Bossy Who could stay miserable after that? :love: - Bossy Good Sir, I hope you are well. - Uns 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - _PlaT_NuM_ Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - PensionKiller World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr Jones AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Clyde Barrow 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - -veteran420- Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - LeeVanCleef Autism - -veteran420- Autism - -veteran420- Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - -veteran420- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Nani Loc Head and Neck Cancer - Southpaw Stinger Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Southpaw Stinger Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - - v e t - 

So very true. I couldn't give a **** if you're undefeated.... unbeaten does not = unbeatable.
Just stay active, fight the best out there and be the best you can be.
Southpaw Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM #12
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
onechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,205,802,173,894,132.00
Total Points: 23,205,914,383,008,700.00
up your as* puto - Ogecca MaMa you need more gifts, have a beer - sugarsmosley 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

Good article.
onechance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 PM #13
no guts no glory

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 57,096,339.38
Total Points: 1,105,516,415.02
'Bout time you had a gift. - S a m u r a i 1 of the few unbiased cats on here - mangler If my daddy thinks you're a good poster, then so do I :) - mangler jr Cheers, to postin wit common sense - mangler Calling it as it is - Tom Flores 
stay shittin on em - MANGLER have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Spacey1991 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr449 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - check hook Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Timmy Chans 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaPunch View Post
Excerpts from a recent Ring Magazine article...

-----------

Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

Merchant, who has followed the sport since the 1940s, says there is little doubt that unbeaten records mean more to fans now than in decades past.

In the old days, if a fighter was unbeaten the response from fans was ‘Who has he fought?’ and ‘Is he being protected?’” Merchant said. “Fighters were not judged by their records. They were judged on who they fought and how they fought them.

In the modern era, records are used as marketing tool or as a means of attracting the attention of casual fans who may not follow the sport very closely. There’s a young fighter from Mexico, Saul Alvarez, on the undercard of Saturday’s fight. He’s 19 years old and 31-0. The record makes you curious. Fans see that record and wonder how good he really is. That’s a natural thing.”

If Alvarez continues his winning ways don’t be surprised if fan curiosity gives way to blind adulation and the young welterweight starts drawing comparisons to Mexican greats of the past.

Undefeated fighters gaining premature greatness has almost become a tradition in recent decades.

Mike Tyson, the sport’s biggest star when he was its undisputed, undefeated heavyweight champ, was put in the company of Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali before Buster Douglas shocked him and the rest of the world.

Boxing’s next star, Oscar De La Hoya, was compared to Sugar Ray Leonard until he lost his “O” to Felix Trinidad.

Between his decapitation of William Joppy and his humiliation at the hands of Bernard Hopkins, many fans wondered how Trinidad, 40-0 at the time, would have fared against the likes of Robinson and Carlos Monzon.

Marco Antonio Barrera was compared to Julio Cesar Chavez as he rolled to a magnificent 43-0 record. Then he rolled into the right hands of Junior Jones.

Many called Naseem Hamed, 35-0 with 31 knockouts going into his showdown with Barrera, the hardest punching featherweight in history before he was undressed by the Mexican boxer.

There are a dozen other examples but the story is the same. Undefeated fighters seem unbeatable and on par with the great ones of the sport, then they lose a fight and suddenly the all-time great comparisons cease.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
yes, only casual fans think an undefeated record is something great.

to real boxing fans, an undefeated fighter means that said boxing has been fighting bums or mismatches!!!!
Pullcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM #14
Contender

ATrillionaire is a jewel in the roughATrillionaire is a jewel in the roughATrillionaire is a jewel in the roughATrillionaire is a jewel in the rough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 16,047.68

Merchant also said "...I think Mosley will look across the ring at Mayweather and think to himself ‘I fought Vernon Forrest, Winky Wright and Miguel Cotto. Nobody he’s fought was as good as they were."

Merchant forgets to mention that Mosley lost to all of them.
ATrillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM #15
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Chuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,016,477,364.64
No Message - gancho_al_igado this ones on me - KING MEAT Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigus1990 View Post
I understand exactly where he is coming from but I dont understand what these people want... if we are talking about mayweathers record (which I think we are) its terrific but its not just his record its the fact that clearly and undoubtably the boys got serious skills. I dont understand what they want from him....
We want him to have fought the best and challenge himself not cherry pick his opponents and not take on real challenges and dare to compare himself to Ali and SRR
Chuckguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 PM #16
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Chuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond reputeChuckguy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,016,477,364.64
No Message - gancho_al_igado this ones on me - KING MEAT Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrillionaire View Post
Merchant also said "...I think Mosley will look across the ring at Mayweather and think to himself ‘I fought Vernon Forrest, Winky Wright and Miguel Cotto. Nobody he’s fought was as good as they were."

Merchant forgets to mention that Mosley lost to all of them.
yeah but the point being that Mosley had the balls to fight them to prove he was the best
and yeah he lost but at least he tried
Floyd hasnt even tried
Floyd would never dare take that risk to be great
Chuckguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM #17
Contender

ATrillionaire is a jewel in the roughATrillionaire is a jewel in the roughATrillionaire is a jewel in the roughATrillionaire is a jewel in the rough

Actually that wasn't his point.

His point was that Mosley will look across the ring at Mayweather and not be intimated by the guy....that he fought Winky, Vernon, and Cotto, who (in his opinion) are all better fighters than anyone Mayweather has ever fought.

That would make sense if Mosley actually beat any of these guys. Didn't happen though.

Last edited by ATrillionaire; 04-29-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM #18
Contender

Honestly, that's like saying that because I fought a Elephant and got my a$$ kicked, I shouldn't be intimidated by a Hippo because the Hippo has never fought the Elephant.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM #19
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
southcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these partssouthcentralcar is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 101,304.00
SUPER ZAB JUDAH! - Big Smoke 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Akinapepemo Gay and Lesbian Pride - Tha_Greatest Gay and Lesbian Pride - Tha_Greatest Gay and Lesbian Pride - Akinapepemo Gay and Lesbian Pride - Tha_Greatest 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Tha_Greatest Gay and Lesbian Pride - LeeVanCleef 

merchant is a pac cheerleader
southcentralcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM #20
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Spacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey1991 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,775,520,709,913,807.00
Total Points: 5,776,033,215,891,785.00
Good poster, always giving an honest opinion, and not getting bent out of shape. - J. HITTER all money may fans should have some..lol - larryx Great poster and super nice dude. - S a m u r a i right back at ya space! - Makavelli cheers buddy - Makavelli 
It's all good homey. Here have a snack - mangler A treat for a cool kid - mangler I support underage drinkin homey - mangler Ice Cold - BoxingChaos real cool dude - mangler jr 
Cheers, to your b-day homey - mangler Have a tuna melt homey - mangler A Slushy for my buddy Spacey - Kevin Jesus U got heart Spacey.. great poster! - jazluvr449 lucky charm foo - MANGLER 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 1 of BScenes best! - jazluvr 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Perro Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BoxingChaos AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaPunch View Post
Excerpts from a recent Ring Magazine article...

-----------

Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

Merchant, who has followed the sport since the 1940s, says there is little doubt that unbeaten records mean more to fans now than in decades past.

In the old days, if a fighter was unbeaten the response from fans was ‘Who has he fought?’ and ‘Is he being protected?’” Merchant said. “Fighters were not judged by their records. They were judged on who they fought and how they fought them.

In the modern era, records are used as marketing tool or as a means of attracting the attention of casual fans who may not follow the sport very closely. There’s a young fighter from Mexico, Saul Alvarez, on the undercard of Saturday’s fight. He’s 19 years old and 31-0. The record makes you curious. Fans see that record and wonder how good he really is. That’s a natural thing.”

If Alvarez continues his winning ways don’t be surprised if fan curiosity gives way to blind adulation and the young welterweight starts drawing comparisons to Mexican greats of the past.

Undefeated fighters gaining premature greatness has almost become a tradition in recent decades.

Mike Tyson, the sport’s biggest star when he was its undisputed, undefeated heavyweight champ, was put in the company of Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali before Buster Douglas shocked him and the rest of the world.

Boxing’s next star, Oscar De La Hoya, was compared to Sugar Ray Leonard until he lost his “O” to Felix Trinidad.

Between his decapitation of William Joppy and his humiliation at the hands of Bernard Hopkins, many fans wondered how Trinidad, 40-0 at the time, would have fared against the likes of Robinson and Carlos Monzon.

Marco Antonio Barrera was compared to Julio Cesar Chavez as he rolled to a magnificent 43-0 record. Then he rolled into the right hands of Junior Jones.

Many called Naseem Hamed, 35-0 with 31 knockouts going into his showdown with Barrera, the hardest punching featherweight in history before he was undressed by the Mexican boxer.

There are a dozen other examples but the story is the same. Undefeated fighters seem unbeatable and on par with the great ones of the sport, then they lose a fight and suddenly the all-time great comparisons cease.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
I'd agree with the title yeah, I didin't read the whole thing. People do put too much emphasis on undefeated records and records as a whole, even though I am a Floyd fan I agree, I am a fan of him cause of his skills.

If a fighter loses nowadays, they are suddenly called a hypejob, a bum, when in reality to get as far as they did they can't have been. I honestly think that years ago if a fighter lost people would still be surprised but just say "well you can't win them all, lets see how he comes back from it", but now if somebody loses its "AHAHAHAHA! Hes a bum! What a hypejob exposed!", it is kinda stupid.
Spacey1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
"in, boxing, era, larry, marketing, merchant:, records, tools", undefeated

User Tag List