Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up with all the Rigondeaux love?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with all the Rigondeaux love?

I don't know much about the guy and has only seen one fight of him. I'm not saying he is bad or anything I am just wondering why everyone seems to be so big on him? he has had 9 fights and is considered one of the best?

How come he went almost past being a prospect straight into being a world champ? What's his deal I've been wondering this for a while..

thanks

He had a very long amateur career and was late starting as a pro due to complications (like most Cubans,)
    There was always hype about him, that's how we wasn't long waiting on a title shot.

Comment

they saw him bonk rico ramos out and all of a sudden they think he's better than donaire

they clearly never saw him against the best fighter he's ever fought, a faded guy named ricardo cordoba (he was in one of the best fights you will ever see against bernard duune. check it out)

you know what i think it really is?
      these guys backlash against promoters because they dont understand what it is that a promoter actually does

boxing is a business
      you cant get on a business for making money doing what it's supposed to be doing (matching and promoting fighters to make as much money as possible, and not to please fans primarily. pleasing fans will eventually come down the road, often when it's time to cash out on a career, which takes years and tens to hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to build)

they even call these kids "prospects"
      like prospecting for oil and gold
      you invest and take on a huge amount of risk.

again
      a top flight fighter;s career takes years,
      and tens of thousands, to hundreds of thousands, to millions of dollars, to build
      make up for your expenses and then you can start actually making money off of the guy.

you dont risk all of that just to please a few dudes on boxingscene (who usually stream big fights anyway)

they harp on rigondeaux and "how much better he is than nonito donaire (which, looking at the body of work, is laughable,)" because they're mad that donaire is not jumping right in the ring to fight this guy

for junk money
      at a ton of risk
      against a southpaw who wont make you look good even if you beat him.
      Last edited by New England; 05-20-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyB View Post
        I don't know much about the guy and has only seen one fight of him. I'm not saying he is bad or anything I am just wondering why everyone seems to be so big on him? he has had 9 fights and is considered one of the best?

How come he went almost past being a prospect straight into being a world champ? What's his deal I've been wondering this for a while..

thanks
        Guillermo Rigondeaux is widely considered one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time. He has almost 400 amateur wins versus twelve losses. Rigo has won many international tournaments, including two Olympic gold medals.

Obviously, we're not talking about your average amateur-turned-pro. When Guillermo defected from Cuba, he was put on the fast track to a professional world championship.

Rigo has his detractors. Some fans think he's overrated and too boring to watch. I disagree. I believe Guillermo is a highly skilled, highly talented athlete with fast hands and sharp power. "El Chacal" is a counterpuncher by nature, so he often needs a somewhat aggressive opponent to show his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          they saw him bonk rico ramos out and all of a sudden they think he's better than donaire

they clearly never saw him against the best fighter he's ever fought, a faded guy named ricardo cordoba (he was in one of the best fights you will ever see against bernard duune. check it out)
          I was frustrated with Rigo's respect of Ramos in that fight. He could've taken Rico out early, but obviously held back (presumably because he'd seen Ramos's shocking KO of Shimoda).

The Cordoba fight was like watching paint dry. I chalk it up to Rigo's professional inexperience.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Guillermo Rigondeaux is widely considered one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time. He has almost 400 amateur wins versus twelve losses. Rigo has won many international tournaments, including two Olympic gold medals.

Obviously, we're not talking about your average amateur-turned-pro. When Guillermo defected from Cuba, he was put on the fast track to a professional world championship.

Rigo has his detractors. Some fans think he's overrated and too boring to watch. I disagree. I believe Guillermo is a highly skilled, highly talented athlete with fast hands and sharp power. "El Chacal" is a counterpuncher by nature, so he often needs a somewhat aggressive opponent to show his stuff.

rigo does have a boatload of talent, and more importantly he's more experienced in the ring than 99% of all professionals. he's also a grown man who is going not getting better physically or younger at this stage and has to be moved quickly

i dont think that's the entire story, though.

Comment

rigo does have a boatload of talent, and more importantly he's more experienced in the ring than 99% of all professionals. he's also a grown man who is going not getting better physically or younger at this stage and has to be moved quickly

i dont think that's the entire story, though.
              Good points; the bold is particularly insightful.

I think part of Rigo's current issues are a result of his long amateur career. After more than 400 amateur bouts, one can get set in their ways. The Cordoba fight was a case in point. Guillermo got on his bike and rode to a boring points victory after touching the canvass. My opinion is that he instinctively reverted to an amateur strategy.

Time will tell what Rigo's pro career looks like. But as you say, he's not getting physically better or younger.

Comment

by "they" it would appear we're talking about donaire himself and his team. they sure as hell don't want donaire anywhere near rigo

Comment

Everybody has pretty much been on point.

I'd just like to add that word on the street is that he's sonned Gamboa multiple times too.

Comment

Working...
                  X