Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when people said Floyd ruined Hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hatton looked dodgy in most of his fights after the Kostya Tszyu win. I think he put everything into winning that fight. The idea that Floyd ended his career is a something for Mayweather fanboys to cling onto.

Comment

Originally posted by Arsene Knows View Post
      Hatton looked dodgy in most of his fights after the Kostya Tszyu win. I think he put everything into winning that fight. The idea that Floyd ended his career is a something for Mayweather fanboys to cling onto.
      I agree that Hatton ruined himself. First by living such an indiscplined life outside the ring and and second, by thinking he could walk through every fighter the way he did Tszyu. He suffered the Jeff Fenech effect of talking too much punishment to prove he could. Mayweather took that little bit of self belief that all fighters have before they lose. He wasn't the same the way Hamed wasn't after his fight with Barrera. Every fighter deals with it differently but I don't think Hatton ever really coped well with defeat.

What the connection is to Saturday's fight is beyond me really. It's flimsy at best.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenHat View Post
        I don't think Floyd ended Hatton's career. He did a number on him, but it was that brutal Pac KO that finished him. That kinda KO is something that takes a lot out of you.
        Yes, but Ricky had a lot of pride, so mentally I think it did more to him. He would have won his last fight actually, but he was just winging punches to wild. He was ahead on the cards IIRC. He just got caught with a punch that some people get caught with... no shame in that IMO. Really it was the same for manny... could happen to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
          I agree that Hatton ruined himself. First by living such an indiscplined life outside the ring and and second, by thinking he could walk through every fighter the way he did Tszyu. He suffered the Jeff Fenech effect of talking too much punishment to prove he could. Mayweather took that little bit of self belief that all fighters have before they lose. He wasn't the same the way Hamed wasn't after his fight with Barrera. Every fighter deals with it differently but I don't think Hatton ever really coped well with defeat.

What the connection is to Saturday's fight is beyond me really. It's flimsy at best.
          Just that people **** on Ricky all the time as being a bum or overrated because Floyd beat him. The point is that he beat Paulie with ease and hurt him regularly vs. Broner who got hit way more and though Broner looked strong at the weight, a heavier puncher might have put him down or out.

Comment

People don't know the meaning of the word if they were using it to describe Floyd/Hatton

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              before floyd-hatton 43-0 31 kos; post floyd 2-2 1 ko. perhaps floyd being the 1st to ko him did affect him somewhat.
              Dude those stats are seriously misleading... One of those loses he had after coming back to boxing from a 3 year lay off. The other loss was against pac who destroyed him at his best weight. So after floyd he went 2-0... Before pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
                Dude those stats are seriously misleading... One of those loses he had after coming back to boxing from a 3 year lay off. The other loss was against pac who destroyed him at his best weight. So after floyd he went 2-0... Before pac.
                He went 2-0 against fighters that weren't supposed to be able to hurt him (although Lazcano most definitely did). I honestly believe that a harder puncher than Lazcano would've stopped Hatton that night. It wouldn't have taken Pacquiao to do it, but if it was going to be anyone, it was better it was by the best. He was at the end, but the credit doesn't go fully to Mayweather, it goes to the things I already mentioned. Mayweather was the one to give him that first reality check.

The irony is that the ones who regularly detract form Hatton are those looking to discredit Mayweather. The cirmcumstances of the fight, the fact he wasn't any good in the first place..... to give Hatton credit as a fighter means Mayweather deserves it for beating him, and that's just something some "fans" just can't bring themselves to do. Don't let it get you down.

Also, Broner's approach to fighting Malignaggi was puzzling. Not nearly enough activity, even though he outlanded Paulie. Hatton definitely looked better beating Malignaggi, as did Khan. Mayweather looked like he was sparring against Marquez and Pacquiao struggled. What does it all mean? Not a lot. Triangle theories don't in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
                  He went 2-0 against fighters that weren't supposed to be able to hurt him (although Lazcano most definitely did). I honestly believe that a harder puncher than Lazcano would've stopped Hatton that night. It wouldn't have taken Pacquiao to do it, but if it was going to be anyone, it was better it was by the best. He was at the end, but the credit doesn't go fully to Mayweather, it goes to the things I already mentioned. Mayweather was the one to give him that first reality check.

The irony is that the ones who regularly detract form Hatton are those looking to discredit Mayweather. The cirmcumstances of the fight, the fact he wasn't any good in the first place..... to give Hatton credit as a fighter means Mayweather deserves it for beating him, and that's just something some "fans" just can't bring themselves to do. Don't let it get you down.

Also, Broner's approach to fighting Malignaggi was puzzling. Not nearly enough activity, even though he outlanded Paulie. Hatton definitely looked better beating Malignaggi, as did Khan. Mayweather looked like he was sparring against Marquez and Pacquiao struggled. What does it all mean? Not a lot. Triangle theories don't in boxing.
                  I think the truth is based on Hatton and khan stopping Paulie, Broner went into the fight thinking he'd stop him in the middle rounds. He didn't expect Paulie to be as durable as he was and he definitely didn't expect to get hit as much as he did and people need to face facts. Broner fan or not, Paulie landed some nice combo's on Broner and a power puncher would have hurt him with some of those shots. He won't fight Matthysee IMO.

Comment

Yall musta forgot.

Paulie is a world class fighter and Hatton dominated him.

Comment

Originally posted by NoLove View Post
                      Yall musta forgot.

Paulie is a world class fighter and Hatton dominated him.
                      Well, there can be no doubt that Ricky did dominate him. Trainer excuses and such came up later, but i'm not much on excuses. Ricky was coming in to fast and staying to close for Paulie to be able to jab and move. Ricky was far to strong on the inside (which is Ricky's game) than Paulie.

That all being said. I like Paulie a lot and I think he's got a TON of heart and is a very determined fighter. I also like him as a commentator.

Comment

Working...
                      X