Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard Schaefer explains the risk for fighters to join DAZN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddie Hearn has all other promoters shook, lol.

Comment

Schaefer can’t keep Hearns business out of his mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Hearn is limiting earning potential by paying more money to guys???

Granted the PPV angle will limit the biggest names upside, but thats a couple guys every decade who are losing money & there would probably be more guys getting paid more under the level of those couple PPV guys so it'll all equal out & it'll have more fighters making more big money most likely, but yes less Floyd's & Manny's around.
        Seems from the offers he is been making, it's not that much and fighters are making more. Say a Charlo signs with Hearn and DAZN, will he be fighting a GGG or Canelo on DAZN? I doubt that, he doesn't need Hearn to get that fight. Jacobs got a PPV fight without Hearn and since then he hasn't really done much since signing with Hearn. Will the fighters be taking in some of the revenue they are now with Hearn? Hearn adds another guy these fighters have to give a cut of their earnings to. There's a lot of variable out there, but like Mikey said, the offers sounds good but it's not something he isn't doing on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
          Dazn is great for people not living in the US and don't have access to watch certain sports. They get to watch US based sports along with PPVs. Here in the US, why would I want to suscribe to DAZN when I could flip the channel and watch MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and some soccer. Only sports I care to watch are the NFL, MLB, the NBA and boxing. I don't need a DAZN subscription to watch that. As for boxing, Schaeffer has a point, signing a deal to DAZN and Hearn could limit a fighters earning potential. Hearn could just do fight by fight basis, but I'm sure he wants promotional contracts to control a fighter.
          Well you don't right now, but that's the whole point. Whether or not they'll succeed is a different matter, but one OTT will definitely win major american sports over cable TV.

That's a fact.

It could be ESPN+ or DAZN or one of the new ones. But cable subscription is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Hence why I said he's a solid enough secondary name to pick up cuz he can B side & be the A side on a 3rd or lower billing fight type guy.
            I know, and I'm agreeing.

I'm just saying that he's definitely not a headliner on DAZN, unless as an opponent.

But he's kind of perfect as he has a name and generally puts up a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              I know, and I'm agreeing.

I'm just saying that he's definitely not a headliner on DAZN, unless as an opponent.

But he's kind of perfect as he has a name and generally puts up a good fight.
              LOL fair enough I misunderstood you with the "come on" start to your remarks.

But yea if you ask me Gabe is a PERFECT guy to pick up for DAZN if they are trying to load their shows with good fights.

I'd be grabbing Adrien G + Josesito Lopez & I'm trying to see if Kirkland will come out of retirement or w/e is going on with his inactivity lately.

There are a lot of these secondary kinda sorta name guys who you can mismatch up with other guys like them & after a couple W's vs a bigger name guy. Sign them or put them on your speed dial to throw them in one offs in the future, either or.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                Say a Charlo signs with Hearn and DAZN, will he be fighting a GGG or Canelo on DAZN? I doubt that, he doesn't need Hearn to get that fight.
                Depends on the contract situation GGG & Canelo have with HBO.

Hell man if DAZN becomes successful, big if obviously, but if they do GGG & Canelo are gonna be shopping for a DAZN offer.

DAZN has given $125M to Hearn a year for his 16 cards. Allegedly they have a deal thats not part of the Hearn deal for the WBSS 2nd season. And they may or may not be paying Sky to air the shows Hearn does for them to air on DAZN too.

So idk how much f#cking money DAZN is putting into boxing out of the gate, but its more than ANYONE has put into boxing out of the gate & more importantly its more than anyone or any three en****** are putting into boxing right now as best as I can tell.

Will the fighters be taking in some of the revenue they are now with Hearn?
                Most likely not, but has Haymon shown his PBC model to be sustainable? I say no. I think most are surprised they aren't busto already so that may not even need to be a thing Hearn needs compete with.

Back in the day there was a lot of competition with MMA leagues. A few companies paid fighters "what they were worth". Those few companies went out of business or got bought out by the UFC. Sometimes just cuz something seems fairer or better for fighters its not a sustainable or realistic strategy for them to be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                  It sounds like Schaeffer hasn't really done much research on the guys behind DAZN. This is also not a boxing subscription platform, but just sports - and boxing comes as part of that.

Showtime haven't made a PPV fight not including Floyd since..... when? I actually don't know.
                  What other sports will get Americans to buy in?

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame
                    I got 2.0 from you and it's just stuck. I'm definetly going to give my all in terms of viewing when it happens. I've just ran out of my mojo in terms of getting behind it. I'm in love with WBSS. I feel that's the way to go. Only if you have pair if balls, will you enter. Benevidez quack quack. Ryan Burnett, Woof Woof. Even Chris Eubank jr got shown levels. Can you question his balls?.

As for Boxer's getting more money. If nothing other than loyalty, seems a pretty stupid idea to turn it down. How do you think this is going to pan out?.
                    I love the WBSS idea as well, but its such a small part of boxing is the issue there. Its the best part of boxing granted, the best guys vs the best guys, but there is still so much that happens outside of the top ten that boxing needs to be structured better & put in front of the public better packaged I believe. I think Haymon was trying to do that more or less. I think DAZN & Hearn will be having a go at it over the next 2 to 8 years.

And yea its impossible to dog anyone who enters the WBSS unless you are just a sh^thead fan. Thats a simple concept, but is the most iron sharpens iron thing in boxing at the moment.

And I got no clue how this pans out. Thats why I'm enjoying the whole speculative nature of things right now lol. I mean whats what today could be completely flipped on its head next week with new info & whatever we know next week could be flipped on its head a month from now.

But the key to success for DAZN imo is flipping new cord cutters who focus on sports/boxing onto this new platform once its released & to get as many of us current cord cutters & hardcore boxing fans throwing down our $5, $10, $15 or $20 for this monthly subscription as soon as possible. So getting these big names we are speaking on Hearn already signing or never gonna be able to sign according to who you talk to is gonna be important to fast track the subscriber count, but its not a sink or swim moment despite the naysayers who'll act like it is.

DAZN surely knows they are lighting money on fire for 2-4 years BEST CASE here most likely & I bet as a company they've already lit more money on fire than this boxing deal has them lighting on fire based on the queue of sports they have available to their customers all over the globe already so this isn't gonna be their first rodeo by any means & they won't get shook if things don't look super sexy super quick I'd be willing to bet.

I'm primarily just rooting for this ideas success like I was PBC cuz I've been saying for far too long boxing needs to be better structured into one main entity & things are ripe for this to go down in our era of boxing which would be an amazing thing to witness & change the game forever moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      What other sports will get Americans to buy in?
                      Well I think the sports americans go for are obvious. NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, MLS, College football etc etc.

Do they have TV contracts now? Yes. But that doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

These en****** are businesses like anything else and will sign with the highest bidder. Just like entertainment TV has suffered in competition with OTTs like netflix, amazon, HBO etc etc so will cable.

They'll have less money to pay for the big sports.

Who knows the timeline, I certainly don't. But I know that cable tv is a dying breed.

Comment

Working...
                      X