SHO subscribers up to 23mill, HBO drops to 28.7mill

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With such subscriber gains you'd think Showtime would do better than this:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/10/8...rating-of-2013

It's worth noting that for all the talk of Showtime having a great year and making strides, 13 of the 15 highest-rated fights on cable this year have come from HBO.
    Keep in mind that since Cotto DRod, Showtime has only had the Hopkins Murat card, peaking at 1m, while HBO has had multiple 1.2m cards, including GGG Stevens at 1.4m. So it's possible that Showtime has 1 or even 0 of the 15 most watched premium cable cards.

Comment

HBO has more subscribers so they have higher ratings. That's nothing new.

But Showtime is cutting the gap between them and catching up which is great. Healthy competition between two successful networks can only help boxing.

No need to try and downplay Showtime's gains just because Pac is over on HBO.

Comment

I'm on HBO.... Game of Thrones and Boardwalk.
        Dexter's done.... Showtime just has Homeland

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          Trust me, HBO's large gap in subscriptions has almost nothing to do with Boxing. HBO just has much better shows. Game Of Thrones ALONE is worth an HBO subscription.
          Homeland and Dexter are Emmy winners, so I would say Showtimes original programming is closing the gap fast

Comment

People still watch homeland? Lol

Showtime television shows are god awful. They look like basic cable shows for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              HBO has more subscribers so they have higher ratings. That's nothing new.

But Showtime is cutting the gap between them and catching up which is great. Healthy competition between two successful networks can only help boxing.

No need to try and downplay Showtime's gains just because Pac is over on HBO.
              As I said, with such subscriber gains you'd think they could do better than 1 fight in 15 most watched.

Competition sounds good, but before they became GBP's house network they had more boxing on, with lots of cheap, well chosen matchups, like JLC Corrales, Vazquez vs Marquez series, S6 and the bantam tournament, some quality Shobox, etc. But sustaining GBP's big and expensive roster takes a lot more money, hence the gaping holes in their coverage this year. I like the trend of 3-4 deep cards though (cheaper for them too), but not at the cost of so many boxing free saturdays.

Comment

Originally posted by The Raw Dog View Post
                Homeland and Dexter are Emmy winners, so I would say Showtimes original programming is closing the gap fast
                Dexter is done though

Comment

Originally posted by The Raw Dog View Post
                  I couldn't care less about Emmy nods. As the saying goes opinions are like Assholes. The most popular shows are all on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                    People still watch homeland? Lol

Showtime television shows are god awful. They look like basic cable shows for the most part.
                    Homeland's alright
                    HBO does have the better shows though

Comment

Working...
                    X