Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There should be a rematch after the tourney if Kessler wants one.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There should be a rematch after the tourney if Kessler wants one.

If Ward still holds the title, Kessler should get a rematch in Europe with a European ref.
    Fair is fair.

I've always said Champions with prestige, although maybe some will debate how much prestige Kessler has because his big wins would actually come in this tournament more so than anything...but, he was deemed the favorite and Top Champions should get a rematch for sure if they want one. Even in their very next fight. But of course since this is a tournament, immediate rematch can't be.

It wasn't even so much about some of the clinching because that is allowed on some level in boxing like I already pointed out with Gene Tunney and the over-done grappling of Hatton...as well as many others: Ruiz to fit the Hispanic crowd and...??? can't think of an Asian fighter that held...sorry.

The Head-butts from Ward, although most likely accidental and not on Holyfield's level of craftiness, should still have gotten him a warning. Ward should have had to alter his style for that specific actioin to not be allowed to lean in with his head to go into the clinch. He was leaning in more straight forwad than leaning to one side towards the shoulder...and it was going in with force sometimes.
    Sometimes it might be OK to go in with your head if it isn't wih force and the arms are there first or even if you know what I'm talking about....head to the chest or shoulder, clinch and not to the head to the opponent's skull, clinch.

I know some people will say it's a fight...I understand...but it is still against the rules and unless you are just going to make it legal, the rules have to apply.

I say the head-butts because head-butts are brutal for damage.

I think Ward won more so because of his speed, agility, jab and arsenal of punches and angles and punch-out-put...but he should have to prove it for sure again if Kessler wants that rematch.
    Last edited by Benny Leonard; 11-22-2009, 02:37 AM.

Ward was adamant on home field advantage in this tourney so what makes you think he'd be willing to fight over in Europe at any point in the future?

Comment

He was getting his ass kicked without the headbutts. Did you miss those HARD right hands that were landing flush? Did you see the defense that totally locked him up to the point where he didn't know what to do anymore?

Ward would easily beat Kessler again.

Comment

Sounds good.

Kessler can pay off a ref, headbutt his way to two cut eyes (total coincidence), rabbit punch, throw low blows and kidney shots and hold his left hand out to the opponents face w/out punching.

Though I doubt Kessler would do that cuz' he's a gentleman and not a total scumbag like Ward (who ironically pretends that god is on his side)....

I go vomit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Marvelous View Post
          He was getting his ass kicked without the headbutts. Did you miss those HARD right hands that were landing flush? Did you see the defense that totally locked him up to the point where he didn't know what to do anymore?

Ward would easily beat Kessler again.
          Yes, I know and I basically make mention of what was winning Ward the fight, however; there was more than one head-butt that landed with a lot of force that could impact the fighter's cognitive ability. Now was that the reason why he lost? probably not but it did effect Kessler's chance of getting back into the fight.

All I'm saying is, just give the Champ a rematch after the tourney.

No surprise if Ward schools Kessler again because of what he was doing throughout. Kessler didn't seem to be able to deal with Ward's speed, agility, angles, jab, and punch-out-put. Should be easy money the second tie.

Comment

You guys are acting like that's all ward did was headbutt. I seem to recall ward landing a ****load of punches on kesslers face.

Ward beats kessler in Oakland, Denmark, China, Africa, the moon, anywhere. Why? Because he's the better fighter, period.

This reminds me of the crackheads saying Ricky Hatton could have beat mayweather if not for Cortez. haha

Comment

Originally posted by VictoriaBeckham View Post
              Sounds good.

Kessler can pay off a ref, headbutt his way to two cut eyes (total coincidence), rabbit punch, throw low blows and kidney shots and hold his left hand out to the opponents face w/out punching.

Though I doubt Kessler would do that cuz' he's a gentleman and not a total scumbag like Ward (who ironically pretends that god is on his side)....

I go vomit now.
              Kessler is a by the book fighter...which is why he also fights the way he does. I can't see him doing anything illegal.
              He got a wake up call on what a Pro fight can be about.

Also note that this style of fighting has never really bothered most refs throughout history in the US. Just part of the game. Lots of dirty tricks have been allowed and over-looked...even when seen...depending on how **** the ref is which only a certain amount are.

Ward and God: Well, which God are we talking about?
              God likes War...look at the World around you.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                You guys are acting like that's all ward did was headbutt. I seem to recall ward landing a ****load of punches on kesslers face.

Ward beats kessler in Oakland, Denmark, China, Africa, the moon, anywhere. Why? Because he's the better fighter, period.

This reminds me of the crackheads saying Ricky Hatton could have beat mayweather if not for Cortez. haha
                His punches didn't do much damage until the headbuts started to rain in.

A competent ref would've deducted points and dq'd Ward.

Comment

To be honest,it was such a stylistic beatdown,I don't think there is a need for a rematch.It wasn't even competitive.
                  There is no way Kessler will beat Ward-Andre's style beats Kessler 10/10 times.Mikkel couldn't adjust to the lateral movement,inside fighting,speed,outside fighting....etc. I was shocked at how easy Ward's skills beat Mikkel,so all credit to Andre Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post

No No No No No...not what I'm getting at.

I give all the credit for the win to Ward because what he was doing besides the head-butts were too much for Kessler to handle...but, head-butts do affect a fighter and Kessler was looked at as more of the Champ in the division...so a rematch can take place.

So basically, I don't think Ward needed to add in the head-butts, intentional or not...so just do it again for the respect level of the Champion....but this time cut out the head-butts.

Hatton's holding against Floyd actually kept him in the fight. Without it, he would have been taken apart sooner by Floyd...and beat by even the Old Tszyu.

Comment

Working...
                    X