No announcement yet.

David Haye: "Calzaghe will have to fight the fight of his life to beat Jones"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatti9783 View Post
    How is Calzaghe fighting when going backwards?
    Watch the Byron Mitchell fight. Joe got decked for the first time in his career, got up, then decked Mitchell while going backwards.

Calzaghe likes his opponents to come forward, he doesn't do as well when chasing opponents himself.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
      Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7697088.stm

I must say, I completely agree.

Now before somebody jumps on me and says 'you're just looking for a way to justify this fight as competitive', it has nothing to do with that. I was as dissapointed as the majority of fans when Calzaghe chose to fight the seemingly washed-up Jones over Pavlik (not, as has been all but proved, Calzaghe-Pavlik would have been competitive). From purely a analytical standpoint I believe that the style of Roy Jones may prove a nightmare for Calzaghe unless Jones tires in the later rounds. Calzaghe has never faced anyone with hand speed close to Jones and is very used to being quicker than his opponents. We know Calzaghe has problems with pure counter punchers, and we know from the evidence of the Jones-Trinidad fight that Jones is likely to counter against Calzaghe. Now Calzaghe has shown his adaptability throughout his career both before fights and during fights, but can he adapt to an opponent this quick? So to summarize, the outcome of this fight will be decided by these two questions in my opinion:

1) Does Jones have the stamina to counter quickly all night?
      2) Can Calzaghe adapt to a man with quicker hand speed and reactions than himself?

My opinion is that Jones will win the first half of the fight by 4 rounds to 2 or by 3 rounds to 2. I believe he will counter Calzaghe well and Calzaghe will get caught wading in to flurry. The second half of the fight is what I debate with myself and what is relevant to the above questions. As a Calzaghe fan and an optimist, I went with my prediction that Jones tiring and Calzaghe adapting will happen simultaneously, but it is in question.

On paper this looks a mismatch between a prime champion and a washed-up former champion; but in reality Calzaghe could be walking into a trap, whether Jones is a shadow of his former self or not.
      I think they should make medical exams to Jones to determine whether he's really shot or not, Calzaghe is risking allot in fighting someone who we are not completely sure is washed up. This makes people nervous and make people make complicated but obvious deductions on all possibilities and that's not good for the economy! If Jones is not shot enough i think the fight should be postponed a few years, and new medical exams should be made to determine Jones is really shot. If so not, Calzaghe should fight Bika again.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbirds View Post
        Not a bad ! But your forgeting the knockdown that Jones should get once Joe leaves himself open for ! And therefore Jones will get the nod ! I honestly don't think his slaps will knock Jones down ! Nor do I believe the judges will let him slap his way to victory again ! Not at the historic garden !
        i just cant see joe getting knocked down - if he does it'll just fir him up (ala byron mitchell), hopkins may have scored a KD but that was more of a push. joe has never to my knowledge even been hurt, maybe if one jones catches him flush with 2/3 shots maybe but with one flush shot - naaaahhhh.
        ________
        Medical Cannabis
        Last edited by hookoutofhell; 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
          i just cant see joe getting knocked down - if he does it'll just fir him up (ala byron mitchell), hopkins may have scored a KD but that was more of a push. joe has never to my knowledge even been hurt, maybe if one jones catches him flush with 2/3 shots maybe but with one flush shot - naaaahhhh.
          He has never faced anyone with Roys speed or power ! RJJ has that type of flashing one punch power ! I'm sure Calslappy will get up ! But to say he won't be hurt ! I don't know ! Jones is faster and hits harder than Hopkins ! Calslappys style is tailor made for RJJ !

Comment

Originally posted by F-R-K-O View Post
            Watch the Byron Mitchell fight. Joe got decked for the first time in his career, got up, then decked Mitchell while going backwards.

Calzaghe likes his opponents to come forward, he doesn't do as well when chasing opponents himself.

spot on mate - joe should try and rack up the points early and then force RJJ to come to him. but we all know joe wont do that he'll go forward himself.

the fight with lacey was a classic example of joe fighting off the back foot - imo he is a better counterpuncher than an aggressive volume puncher. of course he can do both which is what puts him in the p4p category but imo he is slightly better on the back foot. when joe has to be the agressor he is sometimes a bit too easy to please and can get caught off balance.

the fight or should i say the rounds with byron mitchell is a higlight reel round!! as the commentator said a round out of hollywood!!
            ________
            Bmw M12 History

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbirds View Post
              He has never faced anyone with Roys speed or power ! RJJ has that type of flashing one punch power ! I'm sure Calslappy will get up ! But to say he won't be hurt ! I don't know ! Jones is faster and hits harder than Hopkins ! Calslappys style is tailor made for RJJ !
              on the flip side to that i could turn around and say that joes style is tailor made for RJJ - RJJ fights in bursts and likes to fight for maybe 1 minute of every round, the rest of the time hes either ducking or covering up or looking to avoid getting hit.

thats when joe will rack up the points, that could well be where the fight is won or lost. imo joes accuracy, range, and timing will be more important in this fight. joe doesn't have that handspeed anymore and he acknowledges it, in the 24/7 episode he didn't mention his handspeed at all.

whats more joe is a pressure fighter and one that fights continuously at a high pace. RJJ doesn't like that if joe had a bit more pop in his punches he really would be RJJ's worst nightmare.

yes i agree with you that RJJ does have power but joe ha a granite chin - kess who is alot stronger than RJJ landed some flush right hand and bombs and they proabably warned joe he was in danger but he wasn't hurt his legs didnt go and his eyes didn't glaze over.

RJJ's KO power imo came from his speed - now thats declined i think hes lost something in terms of beig able to kO opponents. the last time he KO'ed a fighter it was a TKO in 2002. in short, his KO power came from speed not from his strength.

one things for sure its gonna be the sweet science at its very best, some quality open boxing on show!!!
              ________
              Sumo

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
                spot on mate - joe should try and rack up the points early and then force RJJ to come to him. but we all know joe wont do that he'll go forward himself.

the fight with lacey was a classic example of joe fighting off the back foot - imo he is a better counterpuncher than an aggressive volume puncher. of course he can do both which is what puts him in the p4p category but imo he is slightly better on the back foot. when joe has to be the agressor he is sometimes a bit too easy to please and can get caught off balance.

the fight or should i say the rounds with byron mitchell is a higlight reel round!! as the commentator said a round out of hollywood!!
                Definitely! A good entertaining fight while it lasted. Although I think the fight might have been stopped a little too early, Calzaghe clearly had the upper hand and was no way gonna lose to Mitchell anyway, same as the Manfredo fight. Peter didn't stand a chance but they need not have stopped it so early.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by MacChamp View Post
                  What happens if Roy has to do the chasing... Hahahaha, that would be quite smart of Calzaghe if he forced Roy to chase him. Calzaghe has never fought like that if he choose to do that to roy, it would throw roys game-plan off completely.
                  In my opinion, Joe will lose a decision if he is not the agressor the whole fight. He has no chance if he waits on Jones and fights at Roy's pace.

On a side note: Joe is no son of god. He is a son of a Mario Brother. LOL

Comment

This is the first thing I'll be looking for

I think one of the keys in this fight will be if Joe can neutralize Roy's handspeed. He uses his agility more to avoid punches than not, and Jones is still quick enough to find him when he slips out of the way unlike the slower fighters he's been dealing with. Joe has to have some counter initiatives or be able to surprise with power and make Roy freeze up on his flurries because he can walk right into a trap and be flurrying Roy while he shells up on the ropes and get laced with some fast counters every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
                      I think one of the keys in this fight will be if Joe can neutralize Roy's handspeed. He uses his agility more to avoid punches than not, and Jones is still quick enough to find him when he slips out of the way unlike the slower fighters he's been dealing with. Joe has to have some counter initiatives or be able to surprise with power and make Roy freeze up on his flurries because he can walk right into a trap and be flurrying Roy while he shells up on the ropes and get laced with some fast counters every time.

Calzaghe will try to make Roy use his legs. It's the smart thing to do. Jones is still excellent at finding his range.

I'm a little confused as to why people believe Jones can't handle pressure. As Iceman Scully pointed out, he FEASTS on pressure fighters. Glen Johnson was the only exception and things might've been different if Jones hadn't left his heart in the lockerroom.

Calzaghe is versatile enough to box but I believe that, like James Toney, he won't be able to resist taking the lead and being the aggressor.

Comment

Working...
                      X