No announcement yet.

is 'the slickster' a dying breed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 'the slickster' a dying breed?

After broners loss to garcia, looking through the pound for pound list and thinking about the top fighters in each division, there seems to be a lack of elite fighters with the true 'slick style', whereas in previous years it used to be the hallmark of some of the top fighters in the sport.

It seems as if the name of the game now is about smart intelligent pressure fighting which seems to counter this style effectively.

To me this seems a good thing, having offensively minded fighters at the top of the game surely results in better fights.

So are we seeing this style being phased out? And why is this?
    Last edited by Prince Madison; 07-31-2017, 03:45 PM.

Adrien was athletic

But I don't call him slick. He needs that fluid finesse

Comment

Well Adrien was never a slick fighter...

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        Adrien was athletic

But I don't call him slick.
        He needs that fluid finesse
        I think this is a fair description of him. He's got good hand & foot speed, decent punching power, and a good chin. He just doesn't have an A-level skillset, either offensively or defensively.

But OP has a good point. Not many Floyd Mayweather or Roy Jones or Naseem Hamed like reflexes at the top of the sport right now. To go into any more depth I'd need a more specific idea of what constitutes a slick style doe.

Comment

We coming back y'all.

Comment

Slick boxers are still around...

Comment

Originally posted by boxinggod101 View Post
              Well Adrien was never a slick fighter...
              this.. op dksab

Comment

He's an athletic person who put on a pair of boxing gloves one day and gave it a try and stuck with it.

I'm not sure he fits under the 'slick' moniker.

Comment

never a slick fighter lol, christ you lot talk some ****. jsut cause he wasnt an elite slick fighter doesnt mean he doesnt have that style. "Broner is fundamental and his style is slick" even malignaggi says it but i guess you all know a lot more than him.
                  http://www.boxingscene.com/paulie-ma...garcia--118883

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                    never a slick fighter lol, christ you lot talk some ****. jsut cause he wasnt an elite slick fighter doesnt mean he doesnt have that style. "Broner is fundamental and his style is slick" even malignaggi says it but i guess you all know a lot more than him.
                    http://www.boxingscene.com/paulie-ma...garcia--118883
                    one person said it so it must be true lol.. btw your post isnt even true.. "there seems to be a lack of elite fighters with the true 'slick style', whereas in previous years it used to be the hallmark of some of the top fighters in the sport."

ward canelo loma crawford rigo

all top 10 pfp, how many of them are "slick"?

Comment

Working...
                    X