Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If povetkin beats Wilder, will he be able to beat Fury too?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If povetkin beats Wilder, will he be able to beat Fury too?

If Alexander Povetkin beats Wilder, do you think he can beat Fury and Joshua too?

I think Wilder's weakness play's to Povetkin's strength (the fact that Pov likes to rush on guys and Wilder responds to that by hopping straight back with his chin up and arms in the air) so that is sort of "styles make fights" scenario thing for me, if Wilder loses.

Joshua's fundamentals are very solid and I think that, coupled with his discipline and physical gives give him an edge over Povetkin.

Tyson has to also deal with the fact that Povetkin can rush up on a guy and deliver power. This is why Wlad relentlessly clinched Povetkin, but was happy to box the shyt out of Pulev. Fury is a little chinny and garbage fighters have been able to walk up to him and clock him. He is rugged though and recuperates extremely quickly. If Tyson has developed enough to truly use his jab and protect his chin, he can make it through Povetkin. I'd have to call it 50/50 right now.

HW is an interesting mix right now as triangles just don't work. Completely a paper/rock/scissors game based on each fighter's skillsets/gifts/and inconsistent performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      I think Wilder's weakness play's to Povetkin's strength (the fact that Pov likes to rush on guys and Wilder responds to that by hopping straight back with his chin up and arms in the air) so that is sort of "styles make fights" scenario thing for me, if Wilder loses.

Joshua's fundamentals are very solid and I think that, coupled with his discipline and physical gives give him an edge over Povetkin.

Tyson has to also deal with the fact that Povetkin can rush up on a guy and deliver power. This is why Wlad relentlessly clinched Povetkin, but was happy to box the shyt out of Pulev. Fury is a little chinny and garbage fighters have been able to walk up to him and clock him. He is rugged though and recuperates extremely quickly. If Tyson has developed enough to truly use his jab and protect his chin, he can make it through Povetkin. I'd have to call it 50/50 right now.

HW is an interesting mix right now as triangles just don't work. Completely a paper/rock/scissors game based on each fighter's skillsets/gifts/and inconsistent performances.
      Great response from a great poster! Thanks Red.

Bump

Comment

I don't think he would beat Fury, I've already seen Fury completely shut down Chisora, It wasn't competitive. I'm not saying Chisora is near Povetkin level-wise but they have similar styles and Height, Reach. Fury would work behind a jab in southpaw and Povetkin wouldn't land much if anyhting, he'd lean all over him and tie him up on the inside too.

I haven't seen enough of Joshua's game to back him against Povetkin but if he puts in a Whyte performance he's Ko'd Imo. Need to see an inside game from him, ability to fight going backwards + 12 rounds to prove stamina. Povetkin wins currently and going by what I've seen.

Lets just hope Wilder wins

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
          I don't think he would beat Fury, I've already seen Fury completely shut down Chisora, It wasn't competitive. I'm not saying Chisora is near Povetkin level-wise but they have similar styles and Height, Reach. Fury would work behind a jab in southpaw and Povetkin wouldn't land much if anyhting, he'd lean all over him and tie him up on the inside too.

I haven't seen enough of Joshua's game to back him against Povetkin but if he puts in a Whyte performance he's Ko'd Imo. Need to see an inside game from him, ability to fight going backwards + 12 rounds to prove stamina. Povetkin wins currently and going by what I've seen.

Lets just hope Wilder wins
          Yeah I think fury would fight a cheap style verse povetkin. It'd be a long boring 12 rounds UD win for Fury. Wilder is big and strong enough to kick his ass though

Comment

Originally posted by ..,Krusher,.. View Post
            Yeah I think fury would fight a cheap style verse povetkin. It'd be a long boring 12 rounds UD win for Fury. Wilder is big and strong enough to kick his ass though
            I said the same thing in another thread. I hate to use Chisora as an example but I see a similar fight there and one I wouldn't want to watch.

Wilder would certainly have a go and I can't wait for someone to put it on Fury. Once you hurt him he gets involved in a tear up and is likely to get caught, used to any way. I think Peter has got him sticking to a gameplan now though. Still to be tested in this way under him. His last 4 fights have all been easy with hardly any hits landed on him

Comment

Wilder and Fury are too different to say that. Wilder's problem is that his footwork is appalling for a world level fighter. Fury's is very good for a man his size. But Wilder can punch and Fury is not much of a puncher at all. They win and lose for different reasons so it's hard to say one result means anything for the other.

Comment

I don't think he will be able to overcome any fighter the size of Wlad/Fury/Wilder/etc who has the discipline (and referee) to do what Wlad did to him. His size disadvantage is pretty immense.

That's why I've always been such a fan of his. The resume and staying power he's had at HW when he's that small says a lot about his skill. But no he can't reign over these guys. The first one allowed to just jab/lean on him walks away with a UD.

He clearly outclassed Wach but still looked exhausted punching virtually upwards all night.
                Last edited by ////; 04-17-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
                  I don't think he will be able to overcome any fighter the size of Wlad/Fury/Wilder/etc who has the discipline (and referee) to do what Wlad did to him. His height advantage is pretty immense.

That's why I've always been such a fan of his. The resume and staying power he's had at HW when he's that small says a lot about his skill. But no he can't reign over these guys. The first one allowed to just jab/lean on him walks away with a UD.
                  Can you imagine if he fought in the 70's and 80's..

Comment

Working...
                  X