David Haye Officially Retires With Public Statement [VIDEO]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
    Just read the full statement on his website, here is a passage from it:

"The biggest physical challenge I had to face, however, was a spinal surgery in March 2015. I herniated a disc in my lower back 10 years ago and years of intense training wore this disc away. This caused fragments of disc to push into my spinal nerve passage, resulting in chronic pain and loss of function in both legs, and an operation was required to put a two-centimetre metal cage between two vertebrae and implant two metal rods with screws and bone grafts to fuse it all together.

I went into surgery 191 centimetres tall and came out 193 – not a bad silver lining! – but literally had to learn to walk again. This made my comeback fight against Mark de Mori (in January 2016) all the more meaningful, as it was only 10 months after such intrusive spinal surgery (as well as being my first fight in four-and-a-half years).

Ultimately, this was one battle I had to fight in private, and it’s only because the process was recorded for a documentary that people will one day be able to grasp the severity of the situation
    ."

WTF, no wonder he was so shot, not only did he have the shoulder, achilles etc issues but this which flied under the radar. In the weigh in for the 2nd Bellew fight you can see some weird mark on his back, I guess that explains it.

I was a fan of Haye but got frustrated over the years, this comeback really was a con job of the highest order and that's no exaggeration. Who ever bought either of the Bellew PPV's or bet big on Haye must be pissed.

He was a very good fighter and will be remembered fondly by most. You can't deny he brought excitement and a buzz surrounding his events.
    I've never been a Haye fan but can you really blame the guy for conning the public? At the end of a fighters' career they are almost guaranteed to want cash out whether they're healthy or not. Sergio Martinez basically did the same thing against Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
      I've never been a Haye fan but can you really blame the guy for conning the public?
      Erm, yeah?

Comment

I've never been a Haye fan but can you really blame the guy for conning the public? At the end of a fighters' career they are almost guaranteed to want cash out whether they're healthy or not. Sergio Martinez basically did the same thing against Cotto.
        True but Haye took it to a whole new level, his injuries have been well documented but this spinal surgery was kept completely under wraps. He says he lost function in both his legs wtf. He really was disabled in the end.

Haye is an amazing salesman and con artist so he'll make a GREAT promoter.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Mashdown View Post
          Erm, yeah?
          It's for sure a big **** you to the fans, but at the end of the day it was a 100% legal way to make a huge amount of money. Most people blaming him (and I guess I phrased it wrong you can blame him) shouldn't be surprised in the least. This is something that's happened plenty of times before and it's something that I think most people would do. Haye LEGALLY made a huge amount of money. Not surprising, and call me a piece of shyt but I would've done the same thing.

Comment

It's for sure a big **** you to the fans, but at the end of the day it was a 100% legal way to make a huge amount of money. Most people blaming him (and I guess I phrased it wrong you can blame him) shouldn't be surprised in the least. This is something that's happened plenty of times before and it's something that I think most people would do. Haye LEGALLY made a huge amount of money. Not surprising, and call me a piece of shyt but I would've done the same thing.
            Yeah i hear you mate, and i would have more sympathy for the bloke if he wasn't such an insufferable bellend.

Comment

Despite all of his mediocre achievements he will be fondly remembered for his excuses for either losing, or pulling out of a fight.

I was looking forward to his 'comeback' TBH, but all he did was prove (beyond a doubt) that he was mainly hype with very little threat to the HW division.

Best win = Chisora, which pretty much sums him up.

Comment

I wonder if Russ aka BigVern44 will do an hour long video about David Hayes career and retirement. Hope he does the guy has some interesting things to say.

Hayes hustle game is no more thank god lol.

Comment

I've never been a Haye fan but can you rebally blame the guy for conning the public? At the end of a fighters' career they are almost guaranteed to want cash out whether they're healthy or not. Sergio Martinez basically did the same thing against Cotto.
                  Fighters also convince themselves because they don't want to accept its over. That's how strong the mentality of fighters can be, its something you need to reach high levels in the sport.. iron will, determination, and a belief that the impossible is possible

Comment

Working...
                  X