Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andre Ward honor the contract and rematch Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
    I think if the first fight was a success financially they'd be prepping the rematch right now no later than this Summer. But being it flopped heavy on PPV, Ward now wanting more of a guaranteed purse and HBO seemingly not jumping hurdles to make it, I'm kinda 60/40 of it not happening, at least within this year.

When you look at what's available for either guy not fighting one another, the only fight to me outside of a Kovalev rematch for Ward is fighting Stevenson for all the belts. But Stevenson's track record isn't of him taking leaps to fight the best. As far as I know, Ward doesn't have an obligation to HBO so if the Kovalev rematch doesn't materialize then that should be the fight. Kovalev is in a tough spot being he's strapped down to HBO. The Beterbiev fight would be good considering their actual beef w/ one another but I also don't see that happening.

HBO doesn't guarantee the purses for PPV - the promoters do.

HBO only pays towards the purses when they buy the rights to televise the fight on regular HBO.

HBO won't pay more than 3-4 million for a fight (and then that purse is divided accordingly; my guess is if the first fight was on regular HBO, Ward would have made around 2.3 million, and Kovalev around 1.5).

This fight has to be PPV again, and last time the fight didn't generate enough buys for him to have a guaranteed purse of 5 million (Kovalev only had one of like 2 million - about what they would normally make from a regular HBO fight).

Ward needs to realize, there's no way he's making more anywhere unless he wins the Chavez/Canelo winner sweepstakes.

Comment

He knows he got a gift which is why he wants so much more now for the rematch even though he already agreed to monetary compensation prior to the first fight. Kovalev has already said that he is going for the kill from round 1 this time, Ward realizes he won't make it 12 again. His people won't come up with the additional money and he will retire saying he has done all he wanted to do in boxing.....as he has already said recently.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
        Jesus Christ you're a moron.... He got a bigger piece the first time around you dolt.

Are you unaware that the promoters work with only half the revenue. I am very certain that Roc Nation did not make any profit the first time around, why should Ward get more money in a rematch.

He signed a rematch clause and he should honour the agreement otherwise he will have problems getting other fights. Ask Hasim Rahman how it went when he tried to get out of the Lewis rematch clause.

Go look at my post history if you don't think I've ever had respect for Ward. Sorry if you think me being fair means I don't but I'm not hugging anyone's nuts when I know they are wrong. Ward signed a rematch clause in the contract, he should honour it, why should I care if he's trying to get more money when he was overpaid the first time out.

Freedom, don't try and lump me in with these type of Ward fans. I am not one of them.
        Okay.

Ward should honor his contract. I hope he will, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

Is getting less money on the second fight part of honoring the rematch clause? If not, why is this even an issue? Even if Ward honors it, what difference does it make if he wants $10 mil, for example, in the rematch? What exactly am I missing?

Comment

I sincerely don't see how you duck someone... that you already beat?!?!? The logic behind that is baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUptownKid View Post
              I sincerely don't see how you duck someone... that you already beat?!?!? The logic behind that is baffling.
              dude that's a piece of cake! Sturm vs De La Hoya is what you call a close fight! The boxing world didn't go silent with that one.... Ward vs Kova was a complete robbery though. Kova just straight owned all the rounds like the Pascal series, and looked even better than the Chilemba fight. Kova vs Boone III will settle any and all doubt! Ward ducked Boone II!

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
                dude that's a piece of cake! Sturm vs De La Hoya is what you call a close fight! The boxing world didn't go silent with that one.... Ward vs Kova was a complete robbery though. Kova just straight owned all the rounds like the Pascal series, and looked even better than the Chilemba fight. Kova vs Boone III will settle any and all doubt! Ward ducked Boone II!
                So you think kov looked better against ward than pascal? Ok. I could see how a Martinez was scared of Chavez after being out in the final seconds or a Vargas vs Bradley, but ward has no reason to be scared after he was clearly the stronger fighter in the second half of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUptownKid View Post
                  So you think kov looked better against ward than pascal? Ok. I could see how a Martinez was scared of Chavez after being out in the final seconds or a Vargas vs Bradley, but ward has no reason to be scared after he was clearly the stronger fighter in the second half of the fight.
                  Of course. This is a full fledged LHW Ward. We never seen Kova flinch as rounds went on when Ward attacked them ribs with precision. Kova now bows down to the shrine of what Grant gloves can do to ribs when worn by Real Oakton City Gees

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                    I thought he won also BUT the vast majority thought he didn't and that should not sit right with any fighting man. When Floyd had fights similar to this he ran it back IMMEDIATELY and won those fights without controversy. That's what Andre should be looking to do instead of talking about retirement at 32.

Ward asking for money that is not available is putting up a roadblock and that will not and should not slide with any boxing fan whether you like him or not.
                    I take my hat off to you!!! Great fan post!!!

I think Kova won, but I like how you post and I think you tell it like it is!
                    Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
                      They don
                      t deport anybody from the US for stuff like that. Our jails are full of legal and illegal criminals
                      so is the senate.

Comment

Working...
                      X