No announcement yet.

Corbett spars Tunney - PURE GOLD

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    Barney Ross fought Henry Armstrong, one of the greatest fighters to ever live, yeah he lost but Armstrong would kill Floyd so whats your point ? I don't think Dempsey ever fought a black man so yeah he had racist tendencies.
    My point is these guys get overblown over the years..

First you say they ain't heavyweights, more like light heavies

Then I mention light heavies and it gets brushed aside.

If we are talking resumes, and what they did in their eras then yes they get high praise, but compared truly head 2 head, who is a better fighter, they come up short..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      My point is these guys get overblown over the years..

First you say they ain't heavyweights, more like light heavies

Then I mention light heavies and it gets brushed aside.

If we are talking resumes, and what they did in their eras then yes they get high praise, but compared truly head 2 head, who is a better fighter, they come up short..
      Say's you....................... I haven't brushed anything aside, I judge Tunney on the films of him, the way he beats up Carpentier who had speed to burn and one of the best and fastest jabs ever was a work of art, of course Tunney's resume is great but you can see for yourself how good he was in that Carpentier fight. Carpentier was a great fighter and he shows that the way he makes the great Jeff Smith look second rate yet Tunney does the same to Carpentier, hell didn't Tyson make Spinks look second rate ?, didn't Holyfield make tyson look second rate ??? and didn't Lennox blow Evander apart ? yes is the answer to all of those. Roy Jones Jr made Ruiz look tenth rate but Tunney would have beaten Ruiz EASILY as well. I do not understand how you can be so sure that these guys would beat Tunney head to head, how many fights today do you predict correctly the result beforehand ?????? I bet you are wrong as many times as you are right. You are fixated with modern colour filmed fighters, the fact that the definition in colour is wayyyy better than the old B/W films of the 20's does flatter the moderns but I assure you that little has changed except the fact that the depth these days is very shallow. i can't count how many times I thought so and so was gonna beat such and such easily because one looked more awesome only to see the ugly fighter wipe the floor with Mr Pretty, boxing is as much about heart as it is visual style in fact give me the gutsy warrior any day, most fans recognise Tunney as a genius but you don't, you are welcome to your opinion but that's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        Say's you....................... I haven't brushed anything aside, I judge Tunney on the films of him, the way he beats up Carpentier who had speed to burn and one of the best and fastest jabs ever was a work of art, of course Tunney's resume is great but you can see for yourself how good he was in that Carpentier fight. Carpentier was a great fighter and he shows that the way he makes the great Jeff Smith look second rate yet Tunney does the same to Carpentier, hell didn't Tyson make Spinks look second rate ?, didn't Holyfield make tyson look second rate ??? and didn't Lennox blow Evander apart ? yes is the answer to all of those. Roy Jones Jr made Ruiz look tenth rate but Tunney would have beaten Ruiz EASILY as well. I do not understand how you can be so sure that these guys would beat Tunney head to head, how many fights today do you predict correctly the result beforehand ?????? I bet you are wrong as many times as you are right. You are fixated with modern colour filmed fighters, the fact that the definition in colour is wayyyy better than the old B/W films of the 20's does flatter the moderns but I assure you that little has changed except the fact that the depth these days is very shallow. i can't count how many times I thought so and so was gonna beat such and such easily because one looked more awesome only to see the ugly fighter wipe the floor with Mr Pretty, boxing is as much about heart as it is visual style in fact give me the gutsy warrior any day, most fans recognise Tunney as a genius but you don't, you are welcome to your opinion but that's all it is.
        Some people get stuck on the modern era. I think you have to appreciate both. There were plenty of great fighters then and there are plenty now. I don't see one as better than the other overall. Tunney would have been competitive and even beaten many top heavyweights. He was that great, in, as you pointed out, my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          Some people get stuck on the modern era. I think you have to appreciate both. There were plenty of great fighters then and there are plenty now. I don't see one as better than the other overall. Tunney would have been competitive and even beaten many top heavyweights. He was that great, in, as you pointed out, my opinion.
          Yeah, opinion, fact is we can never really know, if we could it would mean boxing is a one dimensional sport instead of a thousand dimensional sport

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Any of the guys o mentioned would make quicker work of them with smaller gloves...

They are pioneers of the sport, and that's cool, but the sport has adapted and grown and they would get smoked now..

Similar to mma,, Royce Gracie, ken shamrock, Dan Severn all greats but would get annihilated by current fighters..

There is a reason why nobody uses the old school style of John l Sullivan.., it would get you beatdown quick today..
            No its because one cannot generate power that way with larger gloves. the type of glove determines how one punches succesfully Thats a fact based on physiology. and no, MMA has gotten better specifically because fighters are more well rounded, thats also quite obvious. Old MMA was based on a false premise, namely that there was a "style" that was better, this was fostered by Gracie dominance which can be explained as knowing the rules and adapting a fight strategy to them...this was proved false when fighters became more well rounded ad started to set a new standard.

You have the unexamined opinion of someone who does not look carefully at the proof. Again who would think tunney could compete with Dempsey?

Comment

Working...
            X