Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dempsey-Firpo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jess Willard & Luis Firpo couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Prorock
      It's allright!

I will find...
      I have found two link`s... On this site in section DLoad`s
      You need 100 post`s.

Comment

Originally posted by beeatch!
        Watch Dempsey against Jess Willard, now that's a beatdown!
        That's probably the beating of the century. By far the worst Champion Annihilation I've ever seen or heard of. Foreman's beatdown of Frazier isn't even close.

One thing that is overlooked about that fight is the amazing heart and determination that Jess Willard showed. Can you imagine getting hammered senseless like that and still trying to get up and win?

The fight also shows how Jack Dempsey probably had the best power punching technique ever. Every move he makes is designed to amplify the force of the punch.

Comment

No, it wasn't an all-time classic. I reminds me a little of the Tito-Mayorga fight, also a pretty much one-sided beatdown.

Also, don't let it's one sidedness fool you into doubting Dempsey's worthiness. What he did in that fight was equivalent to someone Wayne Braithwaite's size knocking out a man the size of, say, John Ruiz.

Actually, there are some similarities between Firpo and Ruiz. Neither was incredibly talented or skilled but both were very hard to beat. And this is a John Ruiz who was coming off a knockout of someone similar to Vitali Klitschko, stylistically and in terms of size (roughly).

Anyway, all this goes toward saying that Dempsey's win over Firpo and it's one-sided nature is indicative mostly of Dempsey's tremendous ability, and not just Firpo's unworthiness.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff
            Jess Willard & Luis Firpo couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
            Don't judge Williard on the Dempsey fight alone, when he was old, overweight, and inactive. Williard in his prime had a very stiff jab, tremondous power, and perhaps was the most durable and well-chinned 'giant' heavyweight to ever fight. He never was very agile or a very good boxer, but he made up for it with toughness and tremondous strength and power. Imagine a less athletic Vitali Klitshko with more stamina, a better jab, and greater power. Not an 'all time' HW great but better then he's now said to be . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Great
              I have found two link`s... On this site in section DLoad`s
              You need 100 post`s.
              Thank you very much!

Comment

Dempsey vs. Firpo is overrated now because we all know the outcome but at the time it was one of the most dramatic fights for those watching it as it unfolded. Viewers were sure Dempsey had the edge in the begining but then Firpo's superior strength and size (and Dempsey's ring rust) showed themself in a quick flare. When Dempsey was sent out of the ring (yes it was a push but those punches that set him up for that push were very real) it was a truly shocking moment. I would liken it to an extra violent version of Lewis vs. Vitali sans the anticlimatic ending. Perhaps Foreman vs. Lyle would be a better comparison. No, it was not boxing genius at work, but if you watched it for the first time, with no prior knowledge of the victor, you would have been on the edge of your seat.

Comment

yeah, maybe it is a bit overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonForeman View Post
                    That's pretty funny about knocking out bulls. I wonder if that's even possible.
                    - -Well, remember Big George hoisted a bull on his shoulders.

A very young bull is the key, but still, the bull was around 600-700 lbs that precious few in the history of the world could do and indeed, it generate glorious press.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonForeman View Post
                      In my opinion, Jack Dempsey vs. Luis Firpo is by far the most overrated fight in the history of boxing. Basically a total one sided beating except for a very short rally by Firpo. Not a terrible fight, but no where near an all time classic.
                      I realize this guy probably isn't around any longer . . . but it is amazing that there can be no sacred cows on this forum, it is like a disease, everything and everyone must be discredited or called overrated.

The fight had 11 knockdowns in 4 minutes of fighting, with the HW Champion being knocked out of the ring, but the fight is still "overrated."

There is this old film from the 1940s where these two ladies (bimbos) are exiting the Dempsey-Firpo fight with their boyfriends and the one bimbo says to her friend, "Didn't Mr. Rickard say it would be 15 rounds" she then turns to her boyfriend and tells him he should go back in an ask for some of their money back. The two guys just look at each other, shrug and walk away; no point in trying to explain it.

Maybe this OP should hang with those two ladies.

Comment

Working...
                      X