Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you say Pernell Whitaker was the greatest body puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you say Pernell Whitaker was the greatest body puncher?

Just that I've never seen anyone go to the body and land with Whitaker's precision. I can't express how much I enjoy watching Pernell go to the body. The way he quickly transitions from the head to body is almost unseen. Just finished rewatching a couple of his bouts

It ain't too far fetched to ask this, right?

of all time? I mean would say the body snatcher was better. And, I don't even think McCallum is the best body puncher of all time. But, it is hard to say who is.

Comment

I'd say Mike McCallum, Mickey Ward, Julio CC, Joe Frazier and Alexis Arguello were better.

Wards left hook to the body was sickening at times.

Comment

Great post, Dom. And nah, it's not that outlandish, unless you're one of those guys who thought Cotto works the body better than Floyd just because he hits it harder, , I know you know what I'm talking about,

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          I'd say Mike McCallum, Mickey Ward, Julio CC and Alexis Arguello were better.

Wards left hook to the body was sickening at times.
          Strongly disagree with the bold.

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
          of all time? I mean would say the body snatcher was better. And, I don't even think McCallum is the best body puncher of all time. But, it is hard to say who is.
          Since you guys mention McCallum, which fights do ya suggest I watch?

Comment

Originally posted by MAGIC M.I.B. View Post
            Great post, Dom. And nah, it's not that outlandish, unless you're one of those guys who thought Cotto works the body better than Floyd just because he hits it harder, , I know you know what I'm talking about,
            Cotto's body punching isn't nearly as good as everyone made it out to be. Cotto doesn't target the midsection. Marquez and Mayweather are much better body punchers in my opinion.

Comment

yep....Sweet Pea was the best body puncher probably ever..........very good to the body.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post

Pernell's body punching so effective because he would never get hit upstairs whilst delivering to the body, and he also threw in combos.........so overall package he might have been the best in terms of delivery and return fire.

.........then again i'm a bit of a sweet Pea fanboy.........
                Last edited by check hook; 05-30-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Hard category to say whos the GOAT But you cant deny this guy:

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                    Strongly disagree with the bold.
                    Really ?, I forgot to mention Carlos Palomino too, he went to the body better then 90% of people i've seen, if you haven't already you should watch his fights with John Stracey and Armando Muniz to see body punching masterpiece, he realized there was no point hitting iron chinned Muniz in the face so he broke him down via the body in a great fight.
                    Last edited by NChristo; 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X