Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prizefighting/boxing business experts: should amatuer styles be banned?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prizefighting/boxing business experts: should amatuer styles be banned?

The name of the game is prizefighting, atleast according to the boxingscene accountants within the last decade, making money is the number one goal. The sport of boxing just like every other sport works on a system similar to government taxation, hard working consumers(fans) shell out money in exchange for entertainment. Amatuer boxers are hungry youngsters who showcase there skills for free in hopes of one day becomming professional and getting paid. Rules differ between the two , amatuers wear head gear and are judged on a points system.

Blah, blah,blah , I got tired of trying to make this sht look professional . Long story short, amatuers do not try to hurt each other, pro boxers dont wear head gear and try to knock off each others heads. The fans want gore, and pay for gore. Should amatuer style , safety first, run all night boxing be banned on the pro level? The sport is at a all time low due to lost interest, should we the fans start shunning the boxers who play hot potatoe and shy away from giving us our entertainment?

All of this b*tching because lil g ducked Ward and Manny ducked Crawford. How many boring fights has Crawford been in? It not just his movement they are worried about
    hell, Chris Algieri moved a lot and he still fought him. It is his movement coupled with his punching power that's why they ducked him.

Unfortunately for you and HBO Floyd proved that "BOXING FANS" will pay big money to see competitive fights by highly skilled fighters. lil g is billed as an "exciting" fighter but he only got 97k ppv buys. HBO should stop trying to change the nature of this sport skilled boxers will always rise to the to top.

Comment

All of this b*tching because lil g ducked Ward and Manny ducked Crawford. How many boring fights has Crawford been in? It not just his movement they are worried about
      hell, Chris Algieri moved a lot and he still fought him. It is his movement coupled with his punching power that's why they ducked him.

Unfortunately for you and HBO Floyd proved that "BOXING FANS" will pay big money to see competitive fights by highly skilled fighters. lil g is billed as an "exciting" fighter but he only got 97k ppv buys. HBO should stop trying to change the nature of this sport skilled boxers will always rise to the to top.

Comment

I wouldn't be opposed to boxing making scoring rules that discourage point fighting. MMA has a scoring criteria called cage control that tends to reward the aggressor & penalize the point fighters. This is one of the reason MMA fights tend to have much more aggression than boxing matches. Boxing would for sure become more action packed for fans with a similar scoring critera.

Comment

What boxing needs to do is get an organized governing body. The sports confusing with its state by state rules, the multiple belts, different rules for different states and organization.

Just one governing body is all that's needed. Get rid of all those belts. The WBC, WBA, scrap those.

Get rid of all the lights and supers weight classes.

Have more tournament style match ups. Like they did with the super middle weights. And have a penalty or a fine if I fighter signs up, then drops out last minute. Maybe if a fighter chooses to drop out, he gets his license suspended for a year.

Everything needs to be consistent and uniform with the rules and everything equally enforced.

Also, judging needs to change. When you're up close ringside, you're at a disadvantage because if the fights happening all the way on the other side of the ring, you can't see anything. Have the judges seated high if possible. Give them another angle, or give them the option to watch a broadcast view if possible. If the fights taking place on the other end of the ring, they can watch the broadcasted view.

And if the fights a draw, have an OT round. Don't take the gloves off right after the fight, wait for the scorecards to be read. Fight an OT round and then whoever wins that round is the winner.

Comment

No, nothing should be changed, the game is just fine as it is. MMA was popularized due to some of the reasons mentioned, so if people want 'gore' they can pay to watch MMA/UFC where there's a high level of technicality involved too, anyway. Boxing isn't supposed to be NBA or NFL, keep it more niche if that's what it is today. Those of us who appreciate pugilism for what it is will continue to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
              No, nothing should be changed, the game is just fine as it is. MMA was popularized due to some of the reasons mentioned, so if people want 'gore' they can pay to watch MMA/UFC where there's a high level of technicality involved too, anyway. Boxing isn't supposed to be NBA or NFL, keep it more niche if that's what it is today. Those of us who appreciate pugilism for what it is will continue to do so.
              Other sports change rules. Hell boxing has changed rules before. I don't see why boxing shouldn't constantly be updating rules to make the sport better for boxers & fans as we move forward. MMA just made some new rules via ABC that'll make MMA more entertaining & the scoring better. Boxing could stand to do that much more often than it does.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                Have more tournament style match ups. Like they did with the super middle weights.
                I can see the allure of tournaments, but for the life of me I don't understand the appeal of the Super Six round robin tournament format. Its the worst tournament format for boxing. Mainly it takes too long. But you also hem guys out for far too long who could be deserving of being involved in a elite level tournament & you even trap guys in that maybe shouldn't even be in it still after a bad KO loss or two.

Any tournament in boxing should be a single elimination tournament. And if its a longer tournament there should be the option to bring in fighters like the HBO HW tournament that initially didn't involve Mike Tyson. If that HBO tournament was a Super Six round robin style tournament Tyson might not have become the youngest HW champion ever & he mighta not won a title til a year or three after he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Other sports change rules. Hell boxing has changed rules before. I don't see why boxing shouldn't constantly be updating rules to make the sport better for boxers & fans as we move forward. MMA just made some new rules via ABC that'll make MMA more entertaining & the scoring better. Boxing could stand to do that much more often than it does.
                  I really enjoy the game like it is, especially when a fighter has his amateur style implemented really well into pro ranks. We get plenty of KO's anyway and the sport is dangerous enough as it is, penalizing a technical style is backwards thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    I can see the allure of tournaments, but for the life of me I don't understand the appeal of the Super Six round robin tournament format. Its the worst tournament format for boxing. Mainly it takes too long. But you also hem guys out for far too long who could be deserving of being involved in a elite level tournament & you even trap guys in that maybe shouldn't even be in it still after a bad KO loss or two.

Any tournament in boxing should be a single elimination tournament. And if its a longer tournament there should be the option to bring in fighters like the HBO HW tournament that initially didn't involve Mike Tyson. If that HBO tournament was a Super Six round robin style tournament Tyson might not have become the youngest HW champion ever & he mighta not won a title til a year or three after he did.
                    I wasn't saying make it exactly like Super Six was set up. I was saying make more tournaments in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X