Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say all heavyweight greats were in the same era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    We're never going to agree on this Cliff. I remember watching it live on closed circuit. That fight sucked, then or now.

Any other opinions?

Its only an opinion but I quite enjoyed Ali Frazier 2. Its true that Ali got away with a bit too much clinching, but his combination work was simply superb and his dancing was the best it had been since Cleveland Williams.

Frazier wasn't quite himself though, he had some good moments, but I felt that the fire in his belly wasn't quite as strong as for fight 1.

But, as a fight it has to be better to watch than any of the Klitschko fights since The Lennox Lewis fight or Sam Peter 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Its only an opinion but I quite enjoyed Ali Frazier 2. Its true that Ali got away with a bit too much clinching, but his combination work was simply superb and his dancing was the best it had been since Cleveland Williams.

Frazier wasn't quite himself though, he had some good moments, but I felt that the fire in his belly wasn't quite as strong as for fight 1.

But, as a fight it has to be better to watch than any of the Klitschko fights since The Lennox Lewis fight or Sam Peter 1.
      My memory of that fight is Ali constantly having his hand behind Joe's head with impunity. Frazier's offense was rendered totally ineffective, and Ali did just enough to win the rounds. I also felt that if anything, Frazier was too angry at Ali, and wasn't as crisp with his punches as the focused machine he was in the first fight.

Sure it was better than all the Klitschko mismatches (Vitali's fights with Lewis and Sanders excepted), but it still was a dud.

Comment

My memory of that fight is Ali constantly having his hand behind Joe's head with impunity. Frazier's offense was rendered totally ineffective, and Ali did just enough to win the rounds. I also felt that if anything, Frazier was too angry at Ali, and wasn't as crisp with his punches as the focused machine he was in the first fight.

Sure it was better than all the Klitschko mismatches (Vitali's fights with Lewis and Sanders excepted), but it still was a dud.

Much as Ali did that particular type of clinch alot........is it just me or could Joe not have pounded the body or push Ali off whilst Ali attempted it? Its what I'd do if someone taller was repeatedly holding me behind my neck (with only one hand!) and bringing me into their chest.
        Referees were much more laid back about clinching, pushing etc back then and Tony Perez really had an off night that evening. He did possibly do Frazier a favour at the end of round 2 though!

I wouldn't have said Ali nicked the rounds either, I once saw the punch stats for that fight and it was a landslide for Ali. Granted, Frazier's shots were harder. but this wasn't a close fight. Ali certainly put some very nice combinations in there. Frazier just had an off night.

It just wasn't as good as fights 1 & 3 and it was definitely a dud for Frazier fans. But I think Ali fans probably quite enjoy it.....

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

I believe Ali had the footspeed to keep the fight on the outside just enough to win a decision. What I DON'T believe is that he can win a decision on the inside or beat Joe Louis the way he fought Foreman in Zaire.

Poet

Love Ali and choose him over JL owing to speed and chin, but yes, JL was a devastating puncher and people forget one of the GREAT combination punchers in HW history. Rope-a-dope is suicide against JL. Even against Tyson, accurate and fast punchers would inflict too much damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Totally agree. Their second fight gets an undeserved bad rap.

Comment

Have you ever watched it again?

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                Have you ever watched it again?
                Yes, but admittedly not recently. Other Ali fights have looked different to me seeing them years later, so I'll try to record the next time I see it showing and I'll see if my impression is different.

Comment

Yes, but admittedly not recently. Other Ali fights have looked different to me seeing them years later, so I'll try to record the next time I see it showing and I'll see if my impression is different.
                  You better.

Comment

It's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOIWWyNHJs

What always stood out for me is that I saw it AFTER I heard it sucked and was pleasantly surprised it didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      It's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOIWWyNHJs

What always stood out for me is that I saw it AFTER I heard it sucked and was pleasantly surprised it didn't.
                      Thanks for the link. I'll save it. But I'd like to see it on a 40 inch TV if possible. Is it on ESPN Classic's playlist?

And I can see now that one big difference we have is that I saw that fight live with considerably higher expectations.

Comment

Working...
                      X