No announcement yet.

Carmen Basilio

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmen Basilio

Who was tougher than Carmen Basilio? This is a guy who snubbed the mafia and did things his way and wasn't as talented as many of his contemporaries. Are there ANY fighters today that we can consider as tough as the "Onion Picker"?

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Who was tougher than Carmen Basilio? This is a guy who snubbed the mafia and did things his way and wasn't as talented as many of his contemporaries. Are there ANY fighters today that we can consider as tough as the "Onion Picker"?

he isnt around competing anymore but khaosai galaxy was as tough as anyone...

carlos famoso hernandez comes to my mind too...

Comment

...and what about battling nelson?

figuring in a fight to the finish against joe gans in more than one occasion? i think he & basilio would be a very amusing pair to watch in the ring together...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        ...and what about battling nelson?

figuring in a fight to the finish against joe gans in more than one occasion? i think he & basilio would be a very amusing pair to watch in the ring together...

Boxing has many, many tough guys. Not to many were able to make it after telling the mob to **** off and with such limited skills. Basilio is a picture in grit. I know their are others, I just felt like bringing him to the forefront for at least this thread.

Comment

Boxing has many, many tough guys. Not to many were able to make it after telling the mob to **** off and with such limited skills. Basilio is a picture in grit. I know their are others, I just felt like bringing him to the forefront for at least this thread.
          Basilio himself didn't associate with them, but his management more than likely did considering the number of title shots he got. From an interview with Basilio:

JF: You were notorious for shunning the mob, like Frankie Carbo and other mobsters that controlled boxing at the time. What made you take that stand?

CB: You have to ask my managers about that. If they did anything with Carbo, they did it. I had nothin’ to do with it. I only met him a couple times in New York City and that was to say hello. There was never any friendship there.

http://www.f i g h tbeat.com/article_detail.php?AT=179
          Last edited by Miburo; 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM.

Comment

bump...............

Comment

Basilio was one of, if not the toughest fighter I have ever seen. That guy would basically fight through anything.

Comment

Super tough guy! Elite super tough guy status. Look at those fights with the puncher Tony Demarco, Holy **** Basilio get smoked and almost goes down but in both fights he finishes Demarco off in like the 14th round or so. And he still had some brains left when he got old. He did shun the mob, I think it did affect his career somewhat although he got title fights, I need to brush up on how it did affect his career but I think he did miss a couple shots and got jobbed on a couple decisions because of dissing the mob.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                  Basilio himself didn't associate with them, but his management more than likely did considering the number of title shots he got. From an interview with Basilio:

JF: You were notorious for shunning the mob, like Frankie Carbo and other mobsters that controlled boxing at the time. What made you take that stand?

CB: You have to ask my managers about that. If they did anything with Carbo, they did it. I had nothin’ to do with it. I only met him a couple times in New York City and that was to say hello. There was never any friendship there.

http://www.f i g h tbeat.com/article_detail.php?AT=179
                  watch this doc if you've never seen it

Comment

Tough as Carmen Basilio ???.... Today ??????...... not on your life !!!!!!!!..... The Onion Farmer was superhuman in his toughness..... the punches that Tony DeMarco landed flush on Basilio's chin are THE HARDEST PUNCHES I'VE EVER SEEN From a WW,... period,.. those punches would have killed today's MW's let alone a Floyd Mayweather Jr ... Floyd would have been out from just one of those. Basilio was hit so hard with one DeMarco bomb that Carmen careered across the ring like a drunken sailor doin a jig. But did Carmen go down ?? NOT ON YOUR LIFE, Carmen fought on simply through memory for three more rounds taking Bomb after BOMB,... but Carmen recovered to come back like a man possessed. In the 12th Carmen hit Tony with his own punch from hell,, DeMarco didn't fall but simply lay his head on Carmens chest, sensing Tony was gone, Carmen attacked Tony with a terrifying beating and one huge punch put DeMarco to sleep..... One of the all-time great fights........ Tough as Carmen Basilio ?????....... Today ?????/... --- NOT ON YOUR LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X