Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Says Today's Fighters Focused on Talk, Not Taking Risks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxHec View Post
    I don't think Eubank & Benn wanted to face Roy Jones, Toney, and McCallum (in 1992 Malinga lost in points to Eubank (SD) and Benn then in 1993 RJJ KO Malinga in 6)
    Toney was a joke to not be in shape against RJJ
    I also believe that RJJ avoided McClellan and maybe the prime Michalczewski (but for no reason here with Micha imo)
    After his win over John Ruiz; yes RJJ/Holyfield or RJJ/Tyson will have been great but RJJ vs Lewis no way, Lewis was too big
    RJJ take risks by fighting Toney, Tarver 3 times, Glen Johnson, and then at the end of his career, Calzague, Lebedev, Hokpkins etc
    Damn, fighting Tarver and Johnson are seen as risks now? They're good fighters but nothing more. World champs should be fighting good fighters at the minimum. It's the very good and the great that you should be looking for to lay your claim in the boxing world.

Comment

this is the legacy of floyd bidness man.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
        Guy up top wrote a ****ing essay, jesus
        It was a damned good post that addressed a lot of issues pertinent to the sport. I wish more people would take the time to put as much effort into theirs, not flame and post useless digs.

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
          I agree with Roy. But in all honesty, did he take risks in the prime of his career??? Benn, Eubank, McClellan, rematch with Toney, Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield and the fighter from Germany,(who's name I can't remember)never took place for one reason or another. With Roy's ability, its real possible he wins those fights, but we just don't know. After winning the WBA Heavyweight title, Lewis, who was the universally recognized heavyweight champ, called him out. There were talks of Tyson and Holyfield fighting him. Toney was calling him out at cruiserweight, but ended up moving up and fighting Evander. Why didn't Roy take the risks at that time??? Even if he had lost against them, he would have made boat loads of more money and wouldn't be fighting now to this day.
          It's a myth that Roy didn't take risks.

Fights against the guys you've named would have been great. But unfortunately, a number of factors prevented them from taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
            I think He Almost Forgot that he did the same thing back in his prime.

Forget about Lewis because he would have been accused of murder if they fought, but Benn & Eubank are the top two IMO.
            He didn't do the same thing.

Eubank had zero interest in anything other than defending his WBO belt.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Yeah cos Jones took so many risks in his career...right? RIGHT?
              He took risks.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxHec View Post
                I don't think Eubank & Benn wanted to face Roy Jones, Toney, and McCallum (in 1992 Malinga lost in points to Eubank (SD) and Benn then in 1993 RJJ KO Malinga in 6)
                Toney was a joke to not be in shape against RJJ
                I also believe that RJJ avoided McClellan and maybe the prime Michalczewski (but for no reason here with Micha imo)
                After his win over John Ruiz; yes RJJ/Holyfield or RJJ/Tyson will have been great but RJJ vs Lewis no way, Lewis was too big
                RJJ take risks by fighting Toney, Tarver 3 times, Glen Johnson, and then at the end of his career, Calzague, Lebedev, Hokpkins etc
                Good post.

Roy did take risks.

Benn wanted to fight him, but Eubank didn't.

A Dariusz Michalczewski fight became impossible to make because neither guy were willing to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
                  Holy ****, Roy. As valid as that opinion may be, RJJr simply cannot criticize anyone for this. Roy MUSTA FUHGOT his own career.
                  Roy took risks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
                    That's a bit rich coming from the guy that avoided pretty much the best fighters when he was in his prime.

Fighters talk a load of rubbish Roy, that's true. You're one of them in this piece.
                    That's complete nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                      He took risks.
                      For sure he is taking risks now at this stage of his career. But in his prime he did avoid a few fighters IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X