Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you have as # 1 p4p and why if not ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominated Barrera and close win over Kovalev since coming back in 2016? Not bad at all. A career year for anyone else. Barrera went on to prove his worth by destroying Shabranskyy too. The "B+" year Ward had in 2016 would have lead any other fighter to snatch BWAA FOTY award. Not sure how Frampton got it for his Quigg and LSC wins but I think Barrera is better than Quigg and Kovalev is far better than both Quigg and LSC.

Comment

Like I said in the other thread, the title is vacant in my opinion.

Comment

lomachenko would almost surely beat ward and kovalev if they were the same size. he's just a more able fighter right now. ward and kovalev are in their mid 30's and are in an athletic decline by virtue of that. ward has been fighting top guys for almost a decade now, and he's had several layoffs. he is not the fighter he used to be, and this is coming from the biggest ward fan on this website over the last 6-7 years.

boxing is a young man's sport, and the only reason you're seeing guys in their 30's on the forefront is because they've figured out how to stretch careers by fighting less and against lesser fighters on TV. lomachenko is smaller, less marketable, and not likely to have a career that stretches into his late 30's, the way ward and kovalev would like their careers to stretch, by virtue of his matchmaking. small guys get thrown to the fire early so they can make money off of matchmaking, not as stars.

Comment

To be quite honest, the p4p rankings should disappear until we start getting fighters to fight 3x's a year at least. P4P rankings should be a year in debate imo.

Comment

Andre Ward. It's not much of a debate to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              Loma sure can be...he has the skills but he hasn't beaten a lot of top guys yet or gained lineage in 2 divisions.... He's closing in though

GGG hasn't fought enough top opposition to be top 5...let alone #1

Compare his body of work and opposition to the others. Too many guys are just as talented if not more with better resumes
              You have turned PFP into resume. PFP IS NOT RESUME. PFP is how good for his weight you think a boxer is today based on very recent fights. You use your eyes and judgement and imagination to rate a boxer PFP. If you believe he is the best PFP then you rank him first even if he has yet to beat anybody that good. When a great fighter moves up in weight he probably lessens his PFP rating.He has more pounds and probably won't be as good pfp at the heavier weight. I rate Spence very high pound for pound even though he hasn't had the chance yet to beat nybody that good. I can do that because I think he can beat any welterweight right now and he is extremely good for his pounds.If he fails to dominate Brook then I would drop him from my top 10

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                You have turned PFP into resume. PFP IS NOT RESUME. PFP is how good for his weight you think a boxer is today based on very recent fights. You use your eyes and judgement and imagination to rate a boxer PFP. If you believe he is the best PFP then you rank him first even if he has yet to beat anybody that good. When a great fighter moves up in weight he probably lessens his PFP rating.He has more pounds and probably won't be as good pfp at the heavier weight. I rate Spence very high pound for pound even though he hasn't had the chance yet to beat nybody that good. I can do that because I think he can beat any welterweight right now and he is extremely good for his pounds.If he fails to dominate Brook then I would drop him from my top 10
                no...you guys change the ramifications to suit fighters you like

you'll never know how good a fighter is until they fight top fighters and GGG has fought like 2-3 while others have fought and beat several....titles won and resume matter...deal with it.

P4P Is resume, accomplishments, skills, and who would be the best in the world if everyone was the same size, also sucesss moving up in weight is considered.

thinking someone can beat someone and it actually happening is two different things

Ward and kov are rated FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE.....GGGs placement is speculation and preference..has nothing to do with accomplishments, resume or skills...

Comment

For what it's worth I seen Lomachenko on the ESPN deportes show "A Los golpes" & they asked Loma if he would fight Pacquiao (147lbs) dude said YES... but it's not his decision (Bobfather). They then asked him if he would fight Crawford (140lbs) & Loma said Crawford is too BIG for him.

Comment

GENNADY GOLOVKIN is the #1 P4P
                    #NoButsNoIfs

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Dominated Barrera and close win over Kovalev since coming back in 2016? Not bad at all. A career year for anyone else. Barrera went on to prove his worth by destroying Shabranskyy too. The "B+" year Ward had in 2016 would have lead any other fighter to snatch BWAA FOTY award. Not sure how Frampton got it for his Quigg and LSC wins but I think Barrera is better than Quigg and Kovalev is far better than both Quigg and LSC.
                      i disregard that fighter of the year award for Frampy like several of roaches trainer of the year awards...its more about preference than who had the better year and beat better opposition....accolades are popularity contests nowadays

Comment

Working...
                      X