No announcement yet.

The case for floyd higher on ATG list than Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    To further your point. Guys that Rodriguez beat like George Benton, Id give a good chance to go through Floyds resume undefeated. He even fought a very similar style to Floyd.

There seems to a notion among a lot of casual fans that Floyd is stylistically unique in boxing history. Many of these guys we are talking about have wins over fighters who are stylistically clones of mayweather, and who were great fighters themselves.

Nice observation, bro. I never watched clips of Benton before, but it’s clear from that video that he predated and inspired Floyd’s style. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if George himself closely emulated someone else! Boxing has a long history. There’s no doubt athletes are better today, but boxers — below the heavyweight division, at least — haven’t evolved nearly as much as their brethren in other sports. The notion that “Sugar” Ray Robinson’s reputation relies solely on nostalgia is only spouted by those who haven’t actually seen him fight. The same can be said of so many other past greats, including Duran.

Comment

• Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
      SRR win over homicide hank is better than anything on Joey Maxim resume that fluke win over SRR means nothing. And I would never say Marciano is better than Joe Louis. What’s that got to do with Roberto Duran though? Seems like smoke and mirrors.

fluke stoppage of robinson not far removed from his f#cking prime

dude robinson's win over armstrong is a footnote in history at best. maxim exhausted robinson into quitting and it's a much, much better win than robinson beating armstrong. you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about and need to bow out of the conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post

dude robinson's win over armstrong is a footnote in history at best. maxim exhausted robinson into quitting and it's a much, much better win than robinson beating armstrong. you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about and need to bow out of the conversation.
        That was a fluke win. I’ve been boxing since I was 7 and I can guarantee I know more than you and been in more fights than you. Won more tournaments than you. Not bragging at all! I’m not taking no advice from anyone from New England lmao stick to baseball and clam chowder son. This conversation has been over anyway nerd. SRR was better than Joey Maxim you got your opinion and I have mine. FYI Maxim didn’t exhaust SRR the temperature in the ring was close to 110 degrees under the lights. He succumbed to heat exhaustion not to mention the elbows Maxim was warned about.
        Lmao obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about at all. To be honest SRR was a dámn welterweight and had no business fighting at Light Heavyweight. No way does he beat a prime SRR. Sound like you never stepped in the ring before and just repeating what you seen on wiki. Have you honestly ever watched a Sugar Ray Robinson fight? A LHW Maxim beating a 31yr old (Same age Hank was when he lost to SRR ) Welterweight shouldn’t even be an accomplishment. That’s like me crowning Canelo king for beating Amir Khan lol.
        Had SRR fought at LHW previous to that fight???
        Now bow down and mind your business bum
        Last edited by THEFRESHBRAWLER; 10-11-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

That was a fluke win. I’ve been boxing since I was 7 and I can guarantee I know more than you and been in more fights than you. Won more tournaments than you. Not bragging at all! I’m not taking no advice from anyone from New England lmao stick to baseball and clam chowder son. This conversation has been over anyway nerd. SRR was better than Joey Maxim you got your opinion and I have mine. FYI Maxim didn’t exhaust SRR the temperature in the ring was close to 110 degrees under the lights. He succumbed to heat exhaustion not to mention the elbows Maxim was warned about.
          Lmao obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about at all. To be honest SRR was a dámn welterweight and had no business fighting at Light Heavyweight. No way does he beat a prime SRR. Sound like you never stepped in the ring before and just repeating what you seen on wiki. Have you honestly ever watched a Sugar Ray Robinson fight? A LHW Maxim beating a 31yr old (Same age Hank was when he lost to SRR ) Welterweight shouldn’t even be an accomplishment. That’s like me crowning Canelo king for beating Amir Khan lol.
          Had SRR fought at LHW previous to that fight???
          Now bow down and mind your business bum

incredible amount of strawmen and just nonsense.

we'll start with the strawmen because apparently you can barely f#cking read. nobody is saying joey maxim is a better fighter than ray robinson. we're saying you ahve no idea what th ef#ck you're talking about when you mention in the same breath robinson's victory over armstrong and maxim's victory over robinson.

after the maxim fight robinson came back to win the middleweight championship three more times and was considered the best boxer in the f#cking world! what did armstrong do after he lost to robinson? and you mention robinson's size in relation to maxim's to detract from the win, ignoring completely that armstrong weighed in under the lightweight limit in his prime!

and was maxim fighting in a climate controlled room while robinson was not? he quit on his stool because of the same heat! that's called retiring. it's not some fluke, one guy was exhausted into quitting. size plays a factor but don't call it a f#cking fluke or try and act like i have not read about the fight!

you've been all over this thread looking and acting like an idiot. you probably fought that way

dumb motherf#ckers . holy **** you've got to be f#cking stupid to mention robinson's win over armstrong in the light you did. it's just incredibly out of touch with the meaningful wins robinson acutually had. it's a footnote on his career, i have said this before. it means little to nothing.

Comment

incredible amount of strawmen and just nonsense.

we'll start with the strawmen because apparently you can barely f#cking read. nobody is saying joey maxim is a better fighter than ray robinson. we're saying you ahve no idea what th ef#ck you're talking about when you mention in the same breath robinson's victory over armstrong and maxim's victory over robinson.

after the maxim fight robinson came back to win the middleweight championship three more times and was considered the best boxer in the f#cking world! what did armstrong do after he lost to robinson? and you mention robinson's size in relation to maxim's to detract from the win, ignoring completely that armstrong weighed in under the lightweight limit in his prime!

and was maxim fighting in a climate controlled room while robinson was not? he quit on his stool because of the same heat! that's called retiring. it's not some fluke, one guy was exhausted into quitting. size plays a factor but don't call it a f#cking fluke or try and act like i have not read about the fight!

you've been all over this thread looking and acting like an idiot. you probably fought that way

dumb motherf#ckers . holy **** you've got to be f#cking stupid to mention robinson's win over armstrong in the light you did. it's just incredibly out of touch with the meaningful wins robinson acutually had. it's a footnote on his career, i have said this before. it means little to nothing.
            I can’t read? Dude, you can’t spell and you can barely write a proper sentence. Settle down son! What you wrote has nothing to do with what I was referring to you. That’s why you shouldn’t jump in others people conversation. Hank is no where close to being the best win on SRR resume. Here are my exact words, ”SRR win over Hank Armstrong was BETTER THAN ANYTHING on Maxim resume”. Read that sentence slowly. It was intended to be slightly sarcastic and a shot at Maxim resume but it’s obvious you have a problem with reading comprehension. Is the split decision over Jimmy Bivins his best win?

“ignoring completely that armstrong weighed in under the lightweight limit in his prime!”

UNDER the LHW limit??? What TF does that mean?
            Not a got dàmn thing lmao you unathletic analyst. Did he weigh that the night he fought SRR??? NOPE thats completely irrelevant.
            “and was maxim fighting in a climate controlled room while robinson was not?”

Lmaoooo just give it up bro. The fight was in the 40s at the Yankee stadium you moron. Seriously, do you even watch boxing or study boxing history?

A climate controlled room? Lol go to sleep. Every historian knows that SRR lost that fight because of heat exhaustion and I can show you several clips but I’m not wasting my time with you anymore lol at climate controlled? What are you 14-15?
            Last edited by THEFRESHBRAWLER; 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• I’m done with the insults bro if you want to debate we can have a civil debate if not then I’m fine with that

Comment

Cant tell if you are kidding or not. Robinson was ahead on all cards and retired due to heat exhaustion.

The fight took place 2 days after a torrential rains postponed the fight, and on one of the hottest days recorded in newyork history.

If you have ever lived on the east coast, you know what that humid after rain heat does, then throw you under the hot lights.

I mean honestly, it was so hot, they had to swap out the ref after the 10th round due to him suffering from heat exhaustion himself.

If you watch the fight, you can see it was the heat that got to SRR not Joey Maxim. You could see the heat just start to sap the energy from SRR, who was not known for stamina issues by around the 9th round.

Comment

That’s all a matter of opinion. We’re talking about something that is facts. And those 16losses on Duran record are facts no matter how much you try to spin it. He lost to some bums that Floyd would never lose to. He pathetically quit like a coward Floyd would never do that he’s not mentally weak.

You said that Floyd wouldn't have lost, is like you said, a matter of opinion!

Floyd didn't fight SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Barkley, …. so again, saying that Floyd would not have quit in those fights is just a matter of opinion! Floyd never even fought in 15 round fights.

Duran height and reach was less than Floyd's yet he went and fought up at middle weight against Hagler and even higher divisions. Duran also fought until 50. Floyd does those 2 things against fighters such as Hagler, …. I'm sure that he would be having a different record too!

Take on fights with "risk" and Floyd would have lost his "0" a long time ago but people would have appreciated the "risk" taking.

Comment

SRR win over Hank Lundy was BETTER THAN ANYTHING

Hank Lundy can't even beat a dead man. Damn.

Comment

• Nah.... Duran> Mayweather

Comment

Working...
                      X