Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L. Merchant: "Today's breed of boxing fans put more emphasis on UNDEFEATED records"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L. Merchant: "Today's breed of boxing fans put more emphasis on UNDEFEATED records"

Excerpts from a recent Ring Magazine article...

-----------

Merchant, who has followed the sport since the 1940s, says there is little doubt that unbeaten records mean more to fans now than in decades past.

In the old days, if a fighter was unbeaten the response from fans was ‘Who has he fought?’ and ‘Is he being protected?’” Merchant said. “Fighters were not judged by their records. They were judged on who they fought and how they fought them.

In the modern era, records are used as marketing tool or as a means of attracting the attention of casual fans who may not follow the sport very closely. There’s a young fighter from Mexico, Saul Alvarez, on the undercard of Saturday’s fight. He’s 19 years old and 31-0. The record makes you curious. Fans see that record and wonder how good he really is. That’s a natural thing.”

If Alvarez continues his winning ways don’t be surprised if fan curiosity gives way to blind adulation and the young welterweight starts drawing comparisons to Mexican greats of the past.

Undefeated fighters gaining premature greatness has almost become a tradition in recent decades.

Mike Tyson, the sport’s biggest star when he was its undisputed, undefeated heavyweight champ, was put in the company of Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali before Buster Douglas shocked him and the rest of the world.

Boxing’s next star, Oscar De La Hoya, was compared to Sugar Ray Leonard until he lost his “O” to Felix Trinidad.

Between his decapitation of William Joppy and his humiliation at the hands of Bernard Hopkins, many fans wondered how Trinidad, 40-0 at the time, would have fared against the likes of Robinson and Carlos Monzon.

Marco Antonio Barrera was compared to Julio Cesar Chavez as he rolled to a magnificent 43-0 record. Then he rolled into the right hands of Junior Jones.

Many called Naseem Hamed, 35-0 with 31 knockouts going into his showdown with Barrera, the hardest punching featherweight in history before he was undressed by the Mexican boxer.

There are a dozen other examples but the story is the same. Undefeated fighters seem unbeatable and on par with the great ones of the sport, then they lose a fight and suddenly the all-time great comparisons cease.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1870/mayw...feated_record/
    Yes
    79.52%
    No
    13.25%
    Maybe
    7.23%

Comment

what's funny is that if the Castillo-PBF decision would have gone the other way, which it easily could have, the whole world would think PBF was less good than they think he is now. Even though he would be EXACTLY THE SAME FIGHTER.

Floyd is a great fighter, but its not because he is undefeated.

Comment

Yes they do. That and PPV buys. And p4p rankings. It's rubbish. It counts on the business side towards setting up the fights, but we as fans aren't on that side. We should just want good fights.

Comment

Originally posted by PH|L View Post
          what's funny is that if the Castillo-PBF decision would have gone the other way, which it easily could have, the whole world would think PBF was less good than they think he is now. Even though he would be EXACTLY THE SAME FIGHTER.

In my honest opinion, had PBF had that one loss in his record, I believe he would've dared to be great and could've been Top 10-20 ATG by now.

Comment

Agreed 100%.

Doesn't matter if you're undefeated or not.It just matters who and how do you fight.

Comment

I gotta agree with him, everytime a fighter loses it seems that they're washed up and past their prime...which i find ridiculous. I mean yes, there's a difference between losing a competitive 12 round decision and getting KO'd in the first, but ****...undefeated reords aren't the be all end all...

Comment

I understand exactly where he is coming from but I dont understand what these people want... if we are talking about mayweathers record (which I think we are) its terrific but its not just his record its the fact that clearly and undoubtably the boys got serious skills. I dont understand what they want from him....

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
                  I understand exactly where he is coming from but I dont understand what these people want... if we are talking about mayweathers record (which I think we are) its terrific but its not just his record its the fact that clearly and undoubtably the boys got serious skills. I dont understand what they want from him....
                  They want him to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by PH|L View Post

Floyd isn't fooling no one. Look at his record. If you ignore his 0 and look just at the records and when he faced them and the weights and circumstances you'd think, no way this guy is undefeated at 33 years of age. Well he is.

Comment

Working...
                    X