Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does the line of free speech end?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just depends what group you belong to. Some groups have more rights than other and gate away saying whatever they want.

Comment

issue with freedom of speech is the people who want it can not accept the results of their freedom of speech

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        Who gets to determine what "hate speech" is?

Seen a lot of fools think difference of opinion is "hate speech"
        Why the state will determine hate speech comrade! Like the UK imprisoning people for "mean" tweets, but didn't do anything while thousands of girls were gang raped and pimped in the Rotherham child sex scandal.

Seems backwards eh?

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
          when free speech turns into hate speech.

I'd like to think we are a society that does not tolerate hate
          Well who determines this? We already have hate crime laws in this country and it's arbitrarily enforced. Case in point, a group of black teens beat up and almost killed a white kid in Chicago, they specifically said they attacked the victim because of his race. Were they charged with a hate crime? No. In fact they got probation for basically attempted murder and imprisonment, last I checked.

I have a feeling this hate speech law will also be used arbitrarily.

Furthermore, it's unconstitutional. Hate speech goes under offensive speech, and last I checked that's protected speech.

Comment

its ify,

cause most will say the line is as rip chudd puts it "As long as there isn't a call to action to harm others"

but hate speech can/is free speech but hate speech in itself is just a general subtle call to action.

Comment

I think hate speech is a dangerous path or a thin line where that should be thought about very carefully.
              Transgenders find other people refusing to use the pronouns of the sex they transitioned to as hate speech, or refuse to accept them as as the gender they believe they transitioned to.
              While science is clear about this as far i am aware, you are born as male or female, and changing certain physical attributes of your body doesn't change your sex.
              As far as gender is confirmed,i don't believe in gender as a spectrum,
              the lgbtq community would see this as me talking about it or writing down (in this particular moment) as hate speech.
              Even though gender on a spectrum is not scientific fact.
              I think this is dangerous and doesn't allow us to have conversations that are needed in society concerning certain difficult topics going on in society today
              Last edited by EL_GRINGO; 02-17-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EL_GRINGO View Post
                I think hate speech is a dangerous path or a thin line where that should be thought about very carefully.
                Transgenders find other people refusing to use the pronouns of the sex they transitioned to as hate speech, or refuse to accept them as as the gender they believe they transitioned to.
                While science is clear about this as far i am aware, you are born as male or female, and changing certain physical attributes of your body doesn't change your sex.
                As far as gender is confirmed,i don't believe in gender as a spectrum,
                the lgbtq community would see this as me talking about it or writing down (in this particular moment) as hate speech.
                Even though gender on a spectrum is not scientific fact.
                I think this is dangerous and doesn't allow us to have conversations that are needed in society concerning certain difficult topics going on in society today
                And what is hate speech? Is there a definitive way to explain it? You just laid out what a community deemed as hate speech, when others see it as not. So let's say there is a hate speech law? Then what? How many years do you jail someone if they are convicted under this law? AIPAC just got a couple of Congressmen to try and pass a bill where if people boycott Israel, they get an automatic 20 years! Boycotting something for political purposes is political speech. This is a variant of hate speech law that is unconstitutional.

Let's say I point out in a speech that certain groups do better when it comes to education, employment, etc. Would this be considered hate speech? I'm pretty sure some will see it that way. Or what about if I point out that people who love various forms of Marxism is a complete idiot. Wouldn't that be considered hate speech to some? So where do we draw the line?

Take a look at the UK where people are jailed for mean and offensive tweets. Ironic, considering that George Orwell wrote literary masterpieces to describe this kind of danger and it's now big brother Orwellian government in his country.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
                  And what is hate speech? Is there a definitive way to explain it? You just laid out what a community deemed as hate speech, when others see it as not. So let's say there is a hate speech law? Then what? How many years do you jail someone if they are convicted under this law? AIPAC just got a couple of Congressmen to try and pass a bill where if people boycott Israel, they get an automatic 20 years! Boycotting something for political purposes is political speech. This is a variant of hate speech law that is unconstitutional.

Let's say I point out in a speech that certain groups do better when it comes to education, employment, etc. Would this be considered hate speech? I'm pretty sure some will see it that way. Or what about if I point out that people who love various forms of Marxism is a complete idiot. Wouldn't that be considered hate speech to some? So where do we draw the line?

Take a look at the UK where people are jailed for mean and offensive tweets. Ironic, considering that George Orwell wrote literary masterpieces to describe this kind of danger and it's now big brother Orwellian government in his country.
                  i agree with you

Comment

Obscenity, criminal threats and inciting criminal actions may be impeded.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
                      Well who determines this? We already have hate crime laws in this country and it's arbitrarily enforced. Case in point, a group of black teens beat up and almost killed a white kid in Chicago, they specifically said they attacked the victim because of his race. Were they charged with a hate crime? No. In fact they got probation for basically attempted murder and imprisonment, last I checked.

I have a feeling this hate speech law will also be used arbitrarily.

Furthermore, it's unconstitutional. Hate speech goes under offensive speech, and last I checked that's protected speech.
                      We're not talking about arbitrary laws, we're talking about the line at which point free speech is crossed.

Again. And this really should be common sense here, but at any point at which anyone or anything is being insulted, that can be construed as hate speech.

Free Speech Example: "I am opposed to gay marriage, but I'm completely fine with ****sexuality, however I want my family's tradition to live on which includes believing in the sanctity of marriage"

Hate Speech example: "GOD HATES F@GGOTS!"

Its not that hard

Comment

Working...
                      X