Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mismatch! How long will FOX hang around?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
    I wonder who chose the length of the deals PBC chose. How much do you see the landscape changing if this were to happen? https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-2...r/?published=t
    I just don't see linear going anywhere in the next few years. Of course streaming is the future but think some are getting ahead of themselves thinking everything will be strictly streaming this soon. The Super Bowl still drew over 100 million linear viewers and a few million streaming viewers. That is the trend but the question is how quickly is that movement happening? FOX releases streaming numbers on their cards and it still is ways off before they have to make dramatic changes.

And hypothetically let’s say in 2021 linear television does die, then SHO and FOX will just put the fights on their streaming services. Sporting events is super valuable for streaming services so they won't just abandon boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
      Yeah that is very true, it is so many boxers in the sport of boxing that I don't think one Networks can ever just cover the sport by themselves. So yeah I hope Showtime doesn't go away even if the ratings are lower over on Showtime
      That’s why I laugh when people want boxing just on one network. Not humanly possible unless that particular network is willing to spend damn near $400-500M on boxing and have over 100 cards a year LOL. You will need three or four different networks investing in boxing to keep it moving.

Comment

I always tape their shows first so I can fast forward through the unbelievable amount of commercials. The same goes for ESPN boxing. Showtime and DAZN have no commercials. All of them have a mixture of good fights and poor ones.

Comment

The first Fox cards have had good match ups. Besides there are going to be new casuals who don't know a lot of the fighters so they have to build fights.

Fox's biggest problem is the announce team sucks. It would be great if the Showtime crew could do all PBC cards.

Comment

They've been getting good ratings so...... A while?

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
              Long term, no one's going to turn in to watch the New England Patriots play the New York Jets twice a month.

PBC has the stable, now deliver a quality product on a regular basis. The success of boxing in the US could easily depend on it.
              Interesting analogy, but Patriots fans will watch them play anybody. Those bigger games vs the Chiefs and Rams will get more viewers, but they have a mixture of both.

Boxing does the same, but we need these guys to fight more often. If you play the Jets and Dolphins in a year, it won't help. If you play the Jets, Chiefs, Dolphins and Rams, then the complaints will fade away.

Comment

PBC has a real chance to get boxing back on the front page in the US with the FOX network. If last night is an example, Fox won't be around long. I realize their best matchups are for Showtime/PPV but they have the stable to do much better than last night. You can't even use the late replacement angle. The no hoper Santa Cruz beat up is a better fighter than the one he was originally set to fight.

If PBC takes care of business, we can have regular boxing on again.
                There have been how many shows on FOX and FS1 so far, in this new deal, yet your deal is what now?

Leo Santa Cruz and Gary Russell Jr are likely fighting this summer, whether on FOX or Showtime. David Benevidez is being featured as the chief support for the March PPV, and will likely fight the Dirrell-Yidrim winner on FOX in the Summer/Fall.

Don't let a tree mess up the forest, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  There have been how many shows on FOX and FS1 so far, in this new deal, yet your deal is what now?

Leo Santa Cruz and Gary Russell Jr are likely fighting this summer, whether on FOX or Showtime. David Benevidez is being featured as the chief support for the March PPV, and will likely fight the Dirrell-Yidrim winner on FOX in the Summer/Fall.

Don't let a tree mess up the forest, lol
                  I hope you're right but there was nothing said about a Leo/Russell fight last night. What leads you to believe that fight happens this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                    FOX is all in with this boxing stuff, just seen an INCREDIBLE Commercial/Promo for Mikey Garcia vs Errol Spence Jr.

After this current contracts are up I can See FOX going all in to get PBC all to themselves and getting rid of Showtime

What is mismatches to us Hardcore Boxing fans is not to the Casual Sports fan who don't even know these guys so those are the fans they're trying to get on board. We the Hardcore fans although we complain the most, they know we're not going to stop watching! The bigger fights are going to happen...and when they do it is going to be some boxing fans still finding something to B#TCH about!
                    The idea that Showtime is gonna get pushed out of the picture is a stretch (if you honestly think that FOX, or any broadcaster for that matter, is going to fill 35 major shows, 15-20 minor shows, plus 6-8 PPV events, you're kidding yourself).

Comment

I hope you're right but there was nothing said about a Leo/Russell fight last night. What leads you to believe that fight happens this summer?
                      Gary Russell Jr fights once a year, his mandatory is a so-so fight, and Leo has maybe 2 fights left at 126 before moving up.

Beyond that, LSC vs GRJ headlines on FOX and Showtime

Comment

Working...
                      X