No announcement yet.

Why Do People Think Naseem was "Special?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    Very weird how he just got up and left after one defeat.
    He reportedly had horrendous hand problems and had fallen out of love with the sport.

How much truth there is in that I dont know. He also made good investments (oil I think), so if they started paying out that early maybe he just didnt need boxing anymore. He is still pretty rich apparently.

Comment

Naz would be top 10 P4P today

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Very weird how he just got up and left after one defeat.
        He was the first go-round of Adrien Broner. He beat a few guys but when he FINALLY tested himself, he got wrecked. Then quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          He reportedly had horrendous hand problems and had fallen out of love with the sport.
          SRL had hand problems too. Hamed just got his ass whipped when he fought the best. Then quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
            He was the first go-round of Adrien Broner. He beat a few guys but when he FINALLY tested himself, he got wrecked. Then quit.
            Much better than Broner clearly.

Like I said earlier if it wasnt for politics he would have held every belt at Featherweight and clearly established himself as the best at the weight, omething Broner has never done
            Last edited by Tom Cruise; 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

SRL had hand problems too. Hamed just got his ass whipped when he fought the best. Then quit.
              Right but who was comparing him to freaking Sugar Ray Leonard??

He was rich, didnt really need to box any more, wasnt enjoying the sport, and had hand problems.

I know its more fun to believe that Barrera outpointed him so bad that he never wanted to box again, it generally doesnt work like that.

Comment

Prince Naseem Hamed pre-1997 beats both Morales and Barrera on the same night. People call Lomachenko the "matrix". Naseem was the real matrix.

Anyone who followed Naseem's career back in the day knows the Naseem of 2001 was a completely different creature to the Naseem of 1995. By 2001 he was injecting his hands to relieve the pain, hardly training (don't blame him, first featherweight in history to break the 3 million mark) and had started to focus more on his religion than boxing.

There's a reason why Barrera considers Naseem his biggest victory and best fight and NOT Morales (see link below to YouTube interview confirming this). Anyone who knows boxing knows Naseem was a unique talent and had the potential to be an all time great. He deserves to be in the HOF (which he is). 35 incredibly entertaining fights, 34 KOs and a really respectful guy (he never mocked or ridiculed fighters after a fight) and accepted his only loss gracefully. WBO, WBC, IBF champion and WBA champion if it wasn't for stupid boxing orgs.

There's three types of people who never liked and will never like Naseem Hamed:

1. People who are ignorant and simply haven't watched all his fights and think he was just a showboating p*ki Amir replica or Broner type. Unlike Mayweather and his ilk who come out like they're about to entertain the pants off us, Naseem came out in style and left with a KO 95% of the time.

2. People who didn't appreciate his religious declarations in the ring at the time. . Understandable given the poltical climate at the time.

3. People (and boxers) who are featherfisted and can't pidgeonhole Hamed's style. He literally invented his own style of boxing. He had power only other fighters could dream of. He could take your head off going backwards and not even utilise half of his power. That intimidates sissies and point scorers.

Here's Barrera on Hamed (Best fight):

I'll just say this. Whenever I see someone who didn't like Prince I avoid them like the plague. I've never ever met anyone who didn't like the Prince who wasn't a boring fart or ignorant hick.

Additional info to consider: Froch and Fury count Naseem as the reason for them lacing gloves. McGregor based his whole persona on Naseem. That's right a featherweight inspired them and countless other to either take up boxing or tune in.

We're in desperate need of a fighter like Naseem Hamed to draw in new fans. Instead we have ******s and millenials like you asking "why was he special?" while they watch Mayweather fight some midget in Japan and wonder why boxing is dying.
                Last edited by iamboxing; 02-14-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

--- Boner just shoddily aping his hero, TUE 50-0.

Naseem also a major league jerk, but was endowed with a natural one off style with every natural attibutes in an A+ scale. Alas, he lacked the mentality to stay disciplined because he outgrew boxing.

Had he moved up to 130 when TUE was still there, guarantee he woulda whooped that candy into cotton and had fun doing it, a what if that meshes in their timelines.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    --- Boner just shoddily aping his hero, TUE 50-0.

Naseem also a major league jerk, but was endowed with a natural one off style with every natural attibutes in an A+ scale. Alas, he lacked the mentality to stay disciplined because he outgrew boxing.

Had he moved up to 130 when TUE was still there, guarantee he woulda whooped that candy into cotton and had fun doing it, a what if that meshes in their timelines.
                    Lol... Like when Floyd called Hamed out and Merchant interrupted him during the Manfredy post fight and said, "Floyd. Hamed probably watched this fight. He's not going to fight you."

LOL!

Comment

Naz was a hard punching fighter but very awkward in the ring and really void of true boxing skill. He got by on the KO power and supreme awkwardness. As soon as he stepped up to a truely skilled opponent he was beaten soundly. Only his punching power impressed me. Everything else was bombast.

Comment

Working...
                      X