No announcement yet.

I call bull****..smoking and boxing!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I call bull****..smoking and boxing!

I don't really think smoking has THAT much of an effect on you training..
    I smoke on and off...i smoke when I train,if I have a big fight coming up Il cut back alot or stop completely..
    Iv giving up smoking a number of times over the years and I don't 100% agree it fcks you up...

Yes your oxygen intake is a bit better, but it doesn't really drastically change..
    I don't understand, I have asthma, I smoke and Il hold my hands up and say every now and then I cut a few corners in training...
    But I can still go 3 rounds, in fact Im in better condition in the 3rd round than most people I fight which makes me think "what the fck are they doing"..
    Some people I my gym don't believe that I smoke as I can out last them all in sparring, and they are putting in hard work and eating properly and all that stuff...

So is it just the individual, or is smoking in boxing or training in general not as big a deal as some people make out??

I think for amateur boxing anyway, its all in the head...if you belive you can go rounds,win,and concentrate throughout the fight I believe smoking doesn't really effect people/me that much. Their is a bit of a difference now I know...maybe for pro boxing ya,but I'm just talking about amateur boxing and fights/ training

Please no, o smoking is bad for your health in general type **** ha
    Last edited by stephenmc; 02-25-2016, 11:50 PM.

Just like anything else smoking f.ucks you up in the long run... It's not going to happen overnight... What you're doing to yourself is taxing your lungs double time you're going to deteriorate faster than those guys that you're currently out working

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
      Just like anything else smoking f.ucks you up in the long run... It's not going to happen overnight... What you're doing to yourself is taxing your lungs double time you're going to deteriorate faster than those guys that you're currently out working
      But that's what I'm saying :\
      Iv been smoking since I taught i was cool at like 13 or 14 ha, and yes I notice a small difference when I'm smoking and not smoking but nothing major?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
        But that's what I'm saying :\
        Iv been smoking since I taught i was cool at like 13 or 14 ha, and yes I notice a small difference when I'm smoking and not smoking but nothing major?
        How old are you? idk know the stats but I'm assuming ppl who develop lung cancer from smoking are 40-50+... I know a drunk who I met when I was 15-18... @ 25 he looked the same... @ 30 he was showing signs... Right now he's all f.ucked up... I'm 32... He's probably 40-45 but looks likes s.hit... It's like compounded interest... The longer you wait the greater your return... Or your case the greater your damage

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
          I don't really think smoking has THAT much of an effect on you training..
          I smoke on and off...i smoke when I train,if I have a big fight coming up Il cut back alot or stop completely..
          Iv giving up smoking a number of times over the years and I don't 100% agree it fcks you up...

Yes your oxygen intake is a bit better, but it doesn't really drastically change..
          I don't understand, I have asthma, I smoke and Il hold my hands up and say every now and then I cut a few corners in training...
          But I can still go 3 rounds, in fact Im in better condition in the 3rd round than most people I fight which makes me think "what the fck are they doing"..
          Some people I my gym don't believe that I smoke as I can out last them all in sparring, and they are putting in hard work and eating properly and all that stuff...

So is it just the individual, or is smoking in boxing or training in general not as big a deal as some people make out??

I think for amateur boxing anyway, its all in the head...if you belive you can go rounds,win,and concentrate throughout the fight I believe smoking doesn't really effect people/me that much. Their is a bit of a difference now I know...maybe for pro boxing ya,but I'm just talking about amateur boxing and fights/ training

Please no, o smoking is bad for your health in general type **** ha
          smoking what? lol!

Comment

Dude, if smoking hasn't shown ill affects in you as of now, count yourself lucky and quit now! While smoking affects different people to different degrees, it's pretty much common knowledge that it's hazardous to your health. Truth is, you don't know what that shit is doing to you internally, and by the time you do start seeing symptoms, it's too late. It doesn't always just attack your lungs. My doctor told me of a guy who had hardening of the arteries so severely, he lost a limb at a time. Then he got lung cancer, but he's ok now. Actually, he's fucking dead! So is a cousin of mine, whom I lost last May. She refused to stop smoking. I teased her about it since we were 18. She died of lung cancer at age 54. Do yourself a favor and come out of denial, man. That shit will kill you!

Comment

Smoking is bad for your health, get vaporizer

Comment

I smoked cigs while boxing.

It def has an effect. My trainers were dumbfounded when they found out I smoked.

I use to compensate by basically just jabbing for the first minute of each round to conserve oxygen.

You can still box and smoke cigs, but your recovery time when you burn a lot of energy is much slower which is why you have to conserve your energy.

Comment

Smoking definitely is a no no if you wanna be a fighter. Ive smoked every now and then and I can tell you once I stopped I saw a total difference. I mean if you wanna fight local shows and smokers all your life cool but to fight on the big stage you cant bring that nicotine with ya. Just my two cents what do I know

Comment

I would have to think that you would be much better off not smoking.

However, I have heard theories about some type of "smokers genes." What I mean by that is the fact that researchers interviewed a large number of people who have lived over 100 years regarding their lifestyle choices, trying to find out the secrets to longevity. Researchers were dumbfounded that a signficant number of people claimed that they've been smokers most of their lives.

As a result, researchers theorized that there must me a "smokers gene" where the effects of smoking does not effect you at all or could some how be good for you.

I'm not advocating that you should smoke because you might have this "smokers gene." It's not worth gambling with your life. Like others have said, the effects of smoking are long term. 1 or 2 every once and a while, like social smoking wouldn't do much, but making a habit out of it, very dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                    X