Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Heavyweight division is finally coming back!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heavyweight division is finally coming back!

When was the last time people were actively arguing over which heavyweight was better, getting excited for future match ups etc.

Finally the division is building a new era of fighters and it could be a good one.

We also have a strong line of fighters coming from the amateurs to keep the fights coming.

I'm excited boys.

I was excited last year, but looking at it now, I'm not as enthused.
    Wlad is probably done.
    Haye is done.
    Povetkin can't stay clean.
    Ortiz has limited time left and is now injured.
    Parker lost a lot of momentum.
    Fury may be done.
    Wilder v AJ fighting is something to look forward to. But, what happens after that?

I hope there's a lot of great things to come but more than half the match-ups I was looking forward to just aren't going to happen now.

Comment

I think people arguing about HWs was more of a regional than a quality thing. There just weren't many (sometimes any) top US/UK-based fighters. There were still plenty of good fights but not on western TV.

As Foxx says it has potential right now but only if the younger guys like Fury and Parker make their presence felt again. Else Joshua becomes the new Wlad.

Wilder IMO is a sitting duck. His fights are fun but he goes through war with every TBA warmup opponent.
      Last edited by ////; 05-02-2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

If they are now starting to fight against each other than I would be more hyped.
        Since Fury dethroned Klitschko:

Fury gained 100 pounds and tested positive for substance abuse.
        Povetkin got busted for substance abuse.
        Wilder hasnt fought one live opponent. (Povetkin wasnt his fault though)
        Pulev is content to fight retired fighters in bulgaria.
        Ortiz went on a bum of the month tour.
        Parker fought Ruiz, decent fight, but Fury was unfortunately canceled.
        Joshuas martin, breazeale, molina run wasnt impressive, but he needed to get more experience.
        Haye just lost and his injury doesnt look like he will have an easy recovery.

I hope some of the new prospects are going to be players in the near future. This year Ugonoh and Granat failed their stepup fights.

Miller, Rivas, Kownacki, Zhang, Kabayel, Bryan, Kuzmin, Schwarz, Dinu, Lippe are prospects currently ranked in the top50.

Comment

It has the potential to be back but the fights still have to be made and fighters/teams willing to take risks. Knowing modern day boxing, i'll believe it when i see it when it comes to the obvious fights being made.

Comment

Whatever happened to those freakishly big Chinese heavyweights that were going to take over the division a couple of years back? Taishan or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Wlad is probably done.
              Haye is done.
              Fury may be done.
              Wilder v AJ fighting is something to look forward to. But, what happens after that?

I hope there's a lot of great things to come but more than half the match-ups I was looking forward to just aren't going to happen now.
              Yea the banch in HW is short ,we could be back to Wlad like era realy quick

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
                Whatever happened to those freakishly big Chinese heavyweights that were going to take over the division a couple of years back? Taishan or something.
                Slow motion doesn't work in boxing

Comment

Probably the last time boxing penetrated the mainstream like this in the UK was Hatton vs Mayweather, or perhaps when Khan got KOed by Prescott. In fact this may even surpass Hatton vs Mayweather since our guy won

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Wlad is probably done.
                    Haye is done.
                    Fury may be done.

Isn't Usyk planning to move up? That dude is huge! Straight draining for Cruiser!

Wlad is done imo. But Big George beat Moorer at 45 or 46? Fury gets more praise than Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. with those "habits" yet ironically Jr. has made an impressive comeback.

A good fight could yield a rematch in Joshua vs Wilder. At least holding it down for the next 2 years for a USA vs UK feud is good for boxing. If Usyk is in the picture then it's another Olympian in the mix.

People and UK boxing have just casually accepted Bellew as a Heavyweight and exploit it...

Last year I said I would love to see Bellew vs Ward, might as well make it Heavyweight. Belt or no belt. This way British commentary in Froch and Bellew can forever eat it... people will say the "Creed movie did this."

Comment

Working...
                    X