Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people thank God when good things happen but don't blame him for bad stuff

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post
    I recognised his name from another boxing forum, ESB, back when it had a lounge.

Maracho said so many weird and suss things that a lot of people put two and two together. Someone created a poll about who thought he was an actual pedophile, and a bit over a hundred people responded, 80% or more saying that they had all come to that conclusion.

I've seen people make that kind of accusation as an insult or something, but this was something else. It seemed like people were serious about it, and there were just too many people all saying the same things.
    Damn dude, really? What I hate about most religious people I talk to is if you start to question the logic of their beliefs, they never seem to give you a straight answer, just vague things like it's in the bible or the Lord works in mysterious ways. Those aren't real answers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      Actually aren't many of them praying that both of them get through the fight with nobody getting killed? That's worth praying for. As far as victory, you have to earn that yourself. Well, a good cutman can help...
      What about people that pray to win the lottery then? What does God do when so many people pray for that? I guess we'd have a scenario like Bruce Almighty where everyone who prayed for it wins, but with so many winners, hardly get any money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        What about people that pray to win the lottery then? What does God do when so many people pray for that? I guess we'd have a scenario like Bruce Almighty where everyone who prayed for it wins, but with so many winners, hardly get any money.
        I doubt God answers any lottery prayer.

But this is all a joke to you.

So agree to disagree, bruh.

Peace.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
          What about sex outside of marriage?
          Or masturbation?

Looks like we're all f****ed.

Unfortunately i dont believe there is a divine perfect judgement.
          If what we know about God comes from whatever holy book a person follows, they cant dismiss all the rules and commandments when they feel like it. (not sure if i put that clearly).

Good to see your still alive Phallus.
          same to you Bobby, i hope life is going well

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Looser? Looser than what? And whether you're a good person is supposed to determine where you go when you die. And even if that's the case, God should forgive and let people in, because being Christian is supposed to include forgiveness.
          many sections of the bible refer to this, Jesus talks directly about this subject in Matthew chapters 5-7. Basically its said if you forgive others God will forgive you. This sounds fair to me

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          It's already one of the most hypocritical.
          you've never actually read the bible, everything in it is based on reciprocity. God returns to us what we have done in life, there won't be any "unfair" judgments on people's lives. we will all get what we deserve, we may not like it but it will be based on the sum of our lifetime

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
            I doubt God answers any lottery prayer.

But this is all a joke to you.

So agree to disagree, bruh.

Peace.
            No, it's not. I'm just questioning the logic of it which, as I said before, really seems to bother religious people, as shown in this thread. But what is so wrong with joking about religion though? It too, like anything else can be poked fun at. Come, join in our reindeer games.

But yes, agree to disagree. I'll go on believing that we exist through evolution and that when we die, we don't go to heaven or hell, but rather in the ground or in an urn. And sometimes after an urn, then in the ground, as ashes are sometimes buried.

Comment

• Originally posted by phallus View Post
              same to you Bobby, i hope life is going well

many sections of the bible refer to this, Jesus talks directly about this subject in Matthew chapters 5-7. Basically its said if you forgive others God will forgive you. This sounds fair to me

you've never actually read the bible, everything in it is based on reciprocity. God returns to us what we have done in life, there won't be any "unfair" judgments on people's lives. we will all get what we deserve, we may not like it but it will be based on the sum of our lifetime
              Yes I have. I thought it was wordy and not very believable. I was raised Catholic and had to attend years of Sunday school to get confirmed, so don't act like you know me at all. I much prefer science, since it goes to the trouble of actually backing up their claims with evidence. And, so by that logic, a guy that lived his life as a child molester could still get into heaven if he forgives everyone in his life. Sounds fair to me.

Comment

Yes I have. I thought it was wordy and not very believable. I was raised Catholic and had to attend years of Sunday school to get confirmed, so don't act like you know me at all. I much prefer science, since it goes to the trouble of actually backing up their claims with evidence. And, so by that logic, a guy that lived his life as a child molester could still get into heaven if he forgives everyone in his life. Sounds fair to me.
                first: science - specifically archaeology backs up the bible

Here are just a few examples: https://www.crossway.org/articles/10...-to-the-bible/

second: why shouldn't a child molester get into heaven if he genuinely repents? he will still have to live with the consequences of his actions while he is alive, what is unfair about this?

Comment

• Originally posted by phallus View Post
                  first: science - specifically archaeology backs up the bible

Here are just a few examples: https://www.crossway.org/articles/10...-to-the-bible/

second: why shouldn't a child molester get into heaven if he genuinely repents? he will still have to live with the consequences of his actions while he is alive, what is unfair about this?
                  Those are things that happened back then that is backed up by science, yes. But what about proof that there was a Jesus, that he healed people simply by touching them and was resurrected at some point? I'd like to see proof of that.

I actually believe that stories like that are exaggerated versions of what happened, like Jesus probably used what was known about medicine to treat sick people, didn't actually come back to life, but lived on in people's memories and later translations say that he didn't walk on water, but beside it. Or he made it look that way with some help, like magicians do. If there even was such a person.

I am for others believing in a higher power though and in prayer, as they've since been scientifically proved to be a positive influence on mental health and ones lifespan. I'm planning on ordering that Blue Zones book which talks about what extends people's lives. Prayer is also good for quiet reflection, like meditation and can help reduce stress and put things in perspective.

So my point is it's not the belief itself, it's all the customs and rituals so many people place too much emphasis on. It really goes to ridiculous lengths sometimes.

Why shouldn't a child molester get into heaven? Because he was a bad person and bad people are supposed to go to hell? I don't know, I remember being taught that was how it worked.

And to answer the topic, I'd say if someone blames their God when they lose, they come off as a petty a**h****, so most people would likely avoid saying something like that.

So in conclusion, believe what you want, as long as you don't criticize someone else for not believing the exact same things, force them to think the same way as you or try to physically or emotionally hurt anyone for thinking or living differently.

Oh yeah and is rock n roll really the devil's music, as some believed in the '50s? I mean, come on, wouldn't any God enjoy some form of rock or popular music? I think so, since Christian Rock now exists. Some people really need to stop portraying God as some old, stuffy guy. I bet he would know how to party. And wouldn't he have to, as watching over the entire world can be kind of stressful and therefore, garner a vacation from time to time. Even dietys have to need some time off. Kind of goes back to the argument of if God created everything, why would he then create something he is said to hate? I don't think such a being would. Or would he then be like Dr. Frankenstein, seeing a creation of his become something out of control and not originally intended? I don't know, but kind of intriguing to me.

I had another theory a while back to that if there is a heaven or hell, that it would be unique to each person. I thought of this when years ago a guy mentioned wanting to meet a favorite actress of his in heaven and be with her for all eternity, but then thought well what if she didn't want to be with him? Would it then be hell for her? Or maybe it could be a version of heaven for that one guy and started thinking that maybe there's this one version for each of us. But I'm thinking something in the bible would say otherwise. Oh man, not only is this getting long winded, but starting to sound like pot talk and I don't even partake. I don't think any God would hate gay people either. Isn't God all about love? I remember reading something about us all being God's children and being created in his image and loving everyone.

That's some deep stuff you mentioned, man. If a God would let someone in after committing such acts as that, then that would truly be in line with most religious teachings of forgiveness.

Shouldn't people on earth get some kind of breakdown of the parameters then of getting into heaven? Seems like it could all be covered in a mass e-mail or social networking post.

Comment

Those are things that happened back then that is backed up by science, yes. But what about proof that there was a Jesus, that he healed people simply by touching them and was resurrected at some point? I'd like to see proof of that.

I actually believe that stories like that are exaggerated versions of what happened, like Jesus probably used what was known about medicine to treat sick people, didn't actually come back to life, but lived on in people's memories and later translations say that he didn't walk on water, but beside it. Or he made it look that way with some help, like magicians do. If there even was such a person.

I am for others believing in a higher power though and in prayer, as they've since been scientifically proved to be a positive influence on mental health and ones lifespan. I'm planning on ordering that Blue Zones book which talks about what extends people's lives. Prayer is also good for quiet reflection, like meditation and can help reduce stress and put things in perspective.

So my point is it's not the belief itself, it's all the customs and rituals so many people place too much emphasis on. It really goes to ridiculous lengths sometimes.

Why shouldn't a child molester get into heaven? Because he was a bad person and bad people are supposed to go to hell? I don't know, I remember being taught that was how it worked.

And to answer the topic, I'd say if someone blames their God when they lose, they come off as a petty a**h****, so most people would likely avoid saying something like that.

So in conclusion, believe what you want, as long as you don't criticize someone else for not believing the exact same things, force them to think the same way as you or try to physically or emotionally hurt anyone for thinking or living differently.

Oh yeah and is rock n roll really the devil's music, as some believed in the '50s? I mean, come on, wouldn't any God enjoy some form of rock or popular music? I think so, since Christian Rock now exists. Some people really need to stop portraying God as some old, stuffy guy. I bet he would know how to party. And wouldn't he have to, as watching over the entire world can be kind of stressful and therefore, garner a vacation from time to time. Even dietys have to need some time off. Kind of goes back to the argument of if God created everything, why would he then create something he is said to hate? I don't think such a being would. Or would he then be like Dr. Frankenstein, seeing a creation of his become something out of control and not originally intended? I don't know, but kind of intriguing to me.

I had another theory a while back to that if there is a heaven or hell, that it would be unique to each person. I thought of this when years ago a guy mentioned wanting to meet a favorite actress of his in heaven and be with her for all eternity, but then thought well what if she didn't want to be with him? Would it then be hell for her? Or maybe it could be a version of heaven for that one guy and started thinking that maybe there's this one version for each of us. But I'm thinking something in the bible would say otherwise. Oh man, not only is this getting long winded, but starting to sound like pot talk and I don't even partake. I don't think any God would hate gay people either. Isn't God all about love? I remember reading something about us all being God's children and being created in his image and loving everyone.

That's some deep stuff you mentioned, man. If a God would let someone in after committing such acts as that, then that would truly be in line with most religious teachings of forgiveness.

Shouldn't people on earth get some kind of breakdown of the parameters then of getting into heaven? Seems like it could all be covered in a mass e-mail or social networking post.
                    that's what i mean, the real almighty God is perfect in justice and mercy, of course he'll forgive anyone who truly turns away from evil they have committed. i don't think God hates gays either. i think once God created everything He left us to clean up our own messes, but i'm sure if we don't we'll be confronted with them at the throne judgment in the book of Revelation. it may look like people are getting away with anything they want for now, but on entry into the spiritual world all accounts will be settled

Comment

• We human beings believe in the higher power. And I am not really religious like my grandparents, but I always thank God when good things happen to me.
                      Last edited by RomanReigns; 07-05-2018, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X