• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump hands Nancy the speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJ highway View Post

Trump hands Nancy the speech.

I don't really think it was an intentional affront...I think he didn't really look at her and was already turning away when she extended her hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
        I don't really think it was an intentional affront...I think he didn't really look at her and was already turning away when she extended her hand.
        That, and he didn't shake Pence's hand either.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          It works down to subtle levels. I was always considered a fantastic High School teacher...Including being the only teacher in my dept to be able to control my summer school class. So they told me to go through a credentialing process to get a permanent license. I could not make it through the program...It was ghastly, they had eliminated all teaching talent, all types of discovery, and created this behavior modification program... It made me sick to my stomach.

Anyway here is the point i wanted to make: I had to learn Common Core through and through. the first thing I noticed is that the whole logic of the program was circular. In other words, insulated from reality. A teacher is supposed to start with these general goals that are nonsense, things like getting a student to read a paragraph and give examples of foreshadowing in a chosen text. This is not a bad thing in itself until you realize that the program defines "good" and "bad" texts.

So in reality the texts are chosen related to social programming. The content of the text is minimally drawn upon, while students are taught a way to comprehend that is devoid of all passion, of all meaning, and totally utilitarian. This will prepare the student to "tolerate Boredom" a useful skill when the man wants your kids to work long hours at some task that will bring the corporation economic power.

When one learns this way they will not become a reader because this decontruction, into elements, is not conducive to learning, knowledge, or creativity. As a matter of fact, science has shown that we do not need to learn grammer! It is in our brains, it is why we can speak and write in the first place. Nobody could learn grammer and syntax through the rules, it is reflexive. Educational theorists have known this since the 50's when Skinner was rebuffed by Chomsky in trying to prove language is operantly conditioned.

But the other kicker? When it comes to learning how to read there simply are no bad texts! I taught kids who could not decode, and were in the 9th grade, to read by buying them comic books they liked. A GOOD text is a text that interests the reader.

So in education we see the same horrible act: prejudging reading material and teaching a form of reading material that virtually guarantees kids will avoid reading at all costs.

GG I believe you are a bit younger than I, but you might remember Sesame Street, the Electric Company and Mister Rogers... These programs created a whole generation of readers using phonetics (sounding words out) and creative educational ways presenting short, interesting programming. It is a horrible thing they are doing and they are targeting individuals from the classroom up and through. I can't tell you how nice it is to hear you and Larry talk about activities done with your kids. It is the only hope we have to create informed adults.
          I definitely see it with some of the books they have CJ read. The indoctrination through literature. And I remember Sesame Street, and how shows like that made learning to read fun.

Comment

• So where is the lynch mob who swore up and down for thousands of posts that Russia collusion would be the end of Trump? Or Stormy Daniels? Or that this impeachment was the end for him? Got pretty quiet around here.

Comment

Working...
            X