No announcement yet.

Top 5 P4P Ranking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a subjective thing to rank

Roy Jones at 168 I love willie pep and sRR but alot of there ranking is based off of reading documents because you cannot find footage of them in their primes. I used to have an old reel to reel projector and had a couple classics of those two but the quality was not great.

Comment

Hell, no one is going to agree with anyone else's list. So if a troll like Zmerai Khan wants to **** all over everything, it just goes to show he is very insecure and has tiny dick syndrome.

My list, with weight given to those whom I've been able to see and in no particular order:

Roy Jones, Jr. Not the later days RJJ who could have gotten floored by my mother but the 14 year run where his only loss was a DQ avenged by a 1st round KO. RJJ beat one guy found on many P4P lists easily (Bernard Hopkins) and embarrassed another (Toney) who was thought to be the P4P King at the time. Middleweight Champ who became Heavyweight Champ. Probably a victim of his own success because there was no one even close who could touch him and didn't train as hard in later years. Still the best boxer - and this goes back to the 60s - that I ever saw fight live (via either TV or in person). I have never seen anyone, before or since, do some of the things in the ring that he could do.

Muhammad Ali. Sure, he has loses but so does every HW except the Brockton Bomber. But Ali never ducked anyone and fought every single great HW during his time, from Patterson to Liston to Frazier to Foreman and more - and beat every one of them. Sometimes it was close. Sometimes it wasn't. But he won despite having his peak years - 3 1/2 of them - taken away by a vindictive US Government. That's what makes this all the more amazing. He came back after such a layover to beat the NEXT round of HWs while all of those guys were in their prime and Ali was largely past his.

Sugar Ray Robinson. Again, I gave emphasis to guys that I saw more rather than relying on just a handful of old fight clips or just a few fights. But SRR's reputation is second to none for a reason and what video is out there is a beauty to behold. At one point his record was an astounding 128-1-2 with the only loss to the Raging Bull (who he beat before and 4 more times after). There's a reason he's on everyone's list. My dream matchup is SRR vs JRR at 160 and I have no idea who is winning that fight.

Willie Pep. Easily the guy I'd like to have seen in person or via TV, Pep again was a phenom. Not a knockout artist but his speed and movement comes through even on video today. By the way, the whole "won a round without throwing a punch" thing is an untrue myth. But that it is a myth in the first place says something about how this guy moved and fought.

As for the 5th? To be honest I don't know. Henry Armstrong probably belongs here but there's simply not that much footage of him. Marciano never lost a HW fight. Mayweather never lost (though he should have) but I believe he ducked many opponents. A lot of people have Joe Louis in that top 5 area but he never impressed me all that much. I'd even consider a guy like Hagler (I saw that Leonard fight live and still think Hagler won) who was almost indestructible but never got out of his weight class and loses points on versatility. So I guess I'll defer to history and say Armstrong but that's basically on record alone. So yeah, Henry Armstrong is the 5th head on this Rushmore.
      Last edited by Granath; 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

--- The most definitive p4per by an official poll of alleged boxing experts is Manny in a landslide. Ring ranked for over 12 yrs as a top rank fighter in a Golden Boy publication, he also fought, whooped, and KOed more Ring ranked fighters than anyone, and anyone ain't even close.

Just the facts ma'am in the 30th anniversary of Ring's inaugural 1989 p4p ratings sport in Mike Tyson as #1.

Comment

I make my list based of how good I believe them to be relative to their weight class all time, this differs greatly with a lot who base mostly off of resume. I also am focused on a fighters peak several years, as opposed to taking into account career as a whole. So it doesn't punish the more modern fighters who may be just as good as someone else, but didn't fight a dozen times in a year. I know this is different than most, but I find it more interesting and less formulaic.

1) SRR- an absolute machine
          2) Langford- limited footage but he appears to be a tank at the 168-180 range where I feel he was best
          3) Armstrong
          4) Ali
          5) Duran

Close-Charles, SRL, Benny Leonard, Louis, RJJ, Greb. I will add that Greb maybe the best, but without footage I just cant comfortably say.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
            I make my list based of how good I believe them to be relative to their weight class all time, this differs greatly with a lot who base mostly off of resume. I also am focused on a fighters peak several years, as opposed to taking into account career as a whole. So it doesn't punish the more modern fighters who may be just as good as someone else, but didn't fight a dozen times in a year. I know this is different than most, but I find it more interesting and less formulaic.

1) SRR- an absolute machine
            2) Langford- limited footage but he appears to be a tank at the 168-180 range where I feel he was best
            3) Armstrong
            4) Ali
            5) Duran

Close-Charles, SRL, Benny Leonard, Louis, RJJ, Greb. I will add that Greb maybe the best, but without footage I just cant comfortably say.
            - -We have ample footage of Ali, enough that I've seen near every fight he had, and sorry, but he didn't impress me but for a few fights and didn't show up on too many others that he is supposed to have won.

Your list and you're entitled to whomever, but let me give you an example of this trio of rivals I watched extensive footage of on the Eve of SuperJoe vs Popkins.

Joe was grade A fantastic, Roy was grade AAA+ fantastic, and Popkins was grade B- due to a variety of factors not the least him being not only one of the dirtiest fighters in history, but also the least manly sissy I can ever recall.

So, without proof of video, I'd have to rely on the grazing herds of boxing media, 90% unable to do more than ape each other.

Comment

Roy Jones

Ray Leonard

Pernell Whitaker

Floyd Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -We have ample footage of Ali, enough that I've seen near every fight he had, and sorry, but he didn't impress me but for a few fights and didn't show up on too many others that he is supposed to have won.

Your list and you're entitled to whomever, but let me give you an example of this trio of rivals I watched extensive footage of on the Eve of SuperJoe vs Popkins.

Joe was grade A fantastic, Roy was grade AAA+ fantastic, and Popkins was grade B- due to a variety of factors not the least him being not only one of the dirtiest fighters in history, but also the least manly sissy I can ever recall.

So, without proof of video, I'd have to rely on the grazing herds of boxing media, 90% unable to do more than ape each other.
                Roy was amazing, and with fluid as these list become I could see him making it up to the top 5, depending on how I am feeling at the time. The only one that is locked in is SRR- I just can't feasibly think of anyone being better than prime Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
                  Roy was amazing, and with fluid as these list become I could see him making it up to the top 5, depending on how I am feeling at the time. The only one that is locked in is SRR- I just can't feasibly think of anyone being better than prime Robinson.
                  Clearly you've never heard of Harry Greb, nor seen Vasily Lomachenko.

Robinson was terrific, but feasted on smaller men. For entertainment purposes, he was one of the best.

Take a look at Greb's record from 1919. Across Robinson's career you find as many ATGs. And there's NO ONE on Robinson's record who looks as good as Walker, Loughran, and Tunney - fighters legendary for their performances NORTH of Middleweight. Dempsey wouldn't fight him. Robinson wouldn't only avoid bigger men, he also avoided the best w/in his weight range. Greb fought blind. Robinson had to be dragged out of the ring because he overheated fight Joey ****ing Maxim.
                  Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 02-22-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheenLantern View Post
                    Roy Jones

Ray Leonard

Pernell Whitaker

Floyd Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao
                    We're talking about greatest Boxers, not greatest PED abusers.

Comment

• Can anyone name anyone who's looked better on film than Roberto Duran?

Does anyone know of a fight where Ali looked better than Carlos Ortiz, or Eder Jofre, or Miguel Canto?

Comment

Working...
                      X