No announcement yet.

Tips for shot legs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
    Really? I always thought constant running would build the strength up. But that hasn't worked so far.

I'll give it 5 days rest then. Does anybody know some really good stretches to help loosen my muscles up while I rest?
    All depends on the running your doing . LD I think you will lose a bit of strength as well as size and muscle .Hill sprints etc and shorter intenser faster runs will build strength .I don't know what you mean shot have you got sore muscles ? If you have rest is best also plenty of protein to repair them fater .That's the only shot legs I can think of anything else probably rest and protein as well anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      You need to do plyometric exercises using your leg muscles. Instead of running 4 miles every other day you should maybe do some hillsprints once a week and track intervals once a week.

Exercise 1: You'll go around a mile jogging to warm up, then hit that hill. You want a hill that's about 50 yards long at a sharp incline (but not so steep that you have to scramble up). When you hit the hill you'll sprint up using short strides (don't bound up the hill like a kangaroo). Sprint up the hill, jog down and as soon as you get to the bottom sprint back up again. Do 3-5 reps. You want to do 3-5 sets of this. If you're feeling energetic do a set of ten burpee pushups in between sets. Then jog a mile back to cool down.

Exercise 2: Find an athletics track. Warm up with an easy lap or two. Then you're going to run 400m (once around the track) at about 80% effort. Take a break of about a minute then repeat. You want to do five or six reps. Then cool down. If you're finding it too easy you can do a set of pushups or burpees before you start running each rep. As you progress cut down your rest time to 45 then 30 seconds.

That's instead of roadwork. For amateurs I don't really believe in doing a ton of roadwork. You're frankly not in the ring long enough to need an endurance base from running long distances. I think you should be running but the stress is on the running. Not jogging. If you're not doing endurance sports then the time-on-feet pace is not going to help you in the ring.

Now I assume you skip. When you skip to warm up you should do it for ten minutes straight. Nice and light on the feet, don't take round breaks, stay on your toes. If you're not sparring then do it for longer, maybe 20 minutes. Concentrate on being light on your feet. Think about keeping up on your toes while you skip. You'll improve your in-ring footwork no end. In fact whatever you're doing at the gym, bag work, handpads, shadow boxing, think about your feet, about how light you are, about how you're on your toes. You keep that in your mind while you're training and you won't need to think about it in the ring.

Finally when you do your strength training don't neglect your legs. You should alternate between maximal strength days (where you''re do one-leg squats or weighted calf raises) and explosive strength days (where the order of the day is plyometric exercises like jumps. When you're doing your plyo stuff then you should be trying to be in contact with the ground for as little time as possible. You're looking to turn impact absorption into explosive extension in as short a time as you can.

Oh and stop training at least three days before the fight, let your legs recover. If you're not ready by then you're not going to be ready. Good luck!
      Amazing post with some great advice. Thanks. Can't rep yet because I've you too much already.

I've never been able to skip. I know it's something that's great for boxing and co-ordination, but I just can't get the hang of it (probably because my co-ordination, balance, and timing are terrible). I'll give it another go though, but seeing as my style is Maidana-esque, I never thought it would come in much use anyway.

Any good resistance band exercises for the legs peeps?

Comment

Amazing post with some great advice. Thanks. Can't rep yet because I've you too much already.

I've never been able to skip. I know it's something that's great for boxing and co-ordination, but I just can't get the hang of it (probably because my co-ordination, balance, and timing are terrible). I'll give it another go though, but seeing as my style is Maidana-esque, I never thought it would come in much use anyway.

Seriously you should skip. Footwork is crucial for boxing. Maidana?

All boxers skip.

Even Mike Tyson had the feet to be fleet footed.

Comment

You gotta skip bro.... don't stop until you get it... anyone can get it, i was terrible when i first started, now i do 3 sets of 20 mins non stop, and can kill it... its a must.

Comment

All boxers skip.

But can he get up on his toes and be a good dancer like Ali? I once saw Tyson in his corner dancing and he looked okay? Do you think he could have danced like Ali?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              But can he get up on his toes and be a good dancer like Ali? I once saw Tyson in his corner dancing and he looked okay? Do you think he could have danced like Ali?
              It wouldn`t of suited his style but could he have gotten up on his toes and danced around the ring like Ali?

Comment

i find it nearly impossible to take five or six days off. i don`t know what my effin` problem is.

Comment

All boxers skip.

I heard Carl Froch doesn't skip, but he has pretty poor footwork, so your point is valid. I'll get on it soon.

Comment

After making sure you are getting proper rest and hydration, check you diet, are you eating right?

Comment

This might be worth a we few quid mate
                      http://www.rosstraining.com/jumpropeconditioning.html

Comment

Working...
                      X