Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one decade produced boxers as good as these 4 only for them to squander it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Im sure this has happened plenty of time through out history. This sport has always been filled with people who come from poor, tortured backgrounds and were lost from boxing because of their inability to cope no matter how talented. Biggest difference now is the advent of cable, satellite and the internet. NOW everybody knows everybody else's business whether they want to or not.
    Sure I beleive that there have been many with loads of potential that underachived. But these four all self destructed in the 90s and were in the same weight class. And were all championship callibre and in their 20s. Personally I can't think of four as good fighting at the same time in the same weight class to deteriorate as fast. But I may just not be aware of boxers with their talent that did not make the best of it. As they may be a little more obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
      Sure I beleive that there have been many with loads of potential that underachived. But these four all self destructed in the 90s and were in the same weight class. And were all championship callibre and in their 20s. Personally I can't think of four as good fighting at the same time in the same weight class to deteriorate as fast. But I may just not be aware of boxers with their talent that did not make the best of it. As they may be a little more obscure.
      There may not have been 4 in the same weight class so relatively close together, I don't know. I have no doubt there have been many though but are as you said "obscure" because of the lack of coverage their was in past era's compared to today.

To a lesser extent you could also add on Clifford Ettiene to your group. Maybe not championship caliber, but had good potential.

Comment

There may not have been 4 in the same weight class so relatively close together, I don't know. I have no doubt there have been many though but are as you said "obscure" because of the lack of coverage their was in past era's compared to today.

To a lesser extent you could also add on Clifford Ettiene to your group. Maybe not championship caliber, but had good potential.

Seems a little strange to me considering the heavyweight division these days, but it could just be random chances that things turned out that way. The 90s were pretty good for Heavyweight fights as they were. It would have been even better if Tyson,Bowe,Douglas,Ibeabuchi all stayed highly motivated and out of trouble till their mid 30s. But things like that happen its just four of the best boxers seems a little high in one decade, if that were to happed to the current divison it would be in a very sad state indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
          Seems a little strange to me considering the heavyweight division these days, but it could just be random chances that things turned out that way. The 90s were pretty good for Heavyweight fights as they were. It would have been even better if Tyson,Bowe,Douglas,Ibeabuchi all stayed highly motivated and out of trouble till their mid 30s. But things like that happen its just four of the best boxers seems a little high in one decade, if that were to happed to the current divison it would be in a very sad state indeed.

Dokes, Tubbs, Berbick and Leon Spinks all had serious problems in the 80's at one time or another and squandered what could have been.

Comment

Dokes, Tubbs, Berbick and Leon Spinks all had serious problems in the 80's at one time or another and squandered what could have been.
            Interesting I don't know much about their story's just seen some fights of theirs. I started watching boxing for the most part in the 90s as a teenager. I have always been a little interested in boxing history. I don't know much about many boxers from the 80s though. I only bought this computor 2 years ago and have found it good to talk boxing and learn about boxing because not to many people are interested in boxing where I live. I have to go to bed soon I am in the habbit of staying up late already during the holidays. Thanks for the posts it gave me somthing to think about. Maybe I will look into Dokes,Tubbs,Berbick and Leon Spinks tomorow.

Comment

Working...
            X