No announcement yet.

Race/nationalism?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race/nationalism?

This is something that I hadn't understood when I first came onto Da Scene... the fact that some US posters (oh, go on then... fat Yanks) love to bash white Europeans with the "defence" that "it's not racism, it's nationalism".

Now, over in Limeyland it's commonly accepted practise that racism concerns anyone of a different culture, no matter what their genetic make-up. If I took the piss out of an Irishman, for example, it would be considered a racist joke.

Now this is my theory, correct me if I'm wrong. All the countries around the world, with the exception of America, have/had an indigenous population that is largely one genotype. For example, you might claim it's not racist for me to be derogatory about an Italian, but an Italian is clearly a different racial mix to myself. It might not go down to one of the four main "types" - Caucasian, negroid, etc. - but he has darker skin, different shaped eyes. What's more, he stinks of **** and his wife has a moustache. FACT. "Jewish" might be a nationality, but the fact that they've got big noses shows a different racial gene. Or the Scots, with more gingers than the rest of the country due to some serious viking action in their past.

Even myself, carrying the bloodline of John Duddy country, am a little paler than the average Englishman when I've not been on the sunbed. So although I'm the same nationality, I have a slightly different racial mix through the evolution of mankind.

My theory is that Americans don't see mocking a nation as being "racist", as they're used to their own nation as being made up of multiracial groups. Whereas most other countries around the world haven't had a wide range of racial types until very recently. Until the last few decades, saying you were "English" meant you were white and liked tea.

I admit the equation has got muddied somewhat recently when I allowed 2Tough and his corner shop emporium to set up over here. So that 2Tough's "English", but he's only insulted if I call him a smelly curry-eating bastard. Which he ****ing is.

Thoughts?
Working...
X