Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who uses right hooks from the orthodox stance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    perhaps your trainer needed you to PROPERLY develop the straight right (from the outside) and it's mechanics before teaching you about the right hook (on the inside).

but since you knew best you ****ed him and left that piece of ****.

Sounds to me as though your trainer had your priorities in line and in order for you to learn properly.

If you left your trainer for the reason that you stated than I would just say that every premadonna knows best...............
    1. WELCOME BACK ROCKIN!!!!!!
    2. he wasnt talking to me about the right hook. was to some kid sparring and desperate for power.
    3. i left that gym because 80% of the time was him tell us to hit the bag. sometimes the kids there get lucky and do some silly "pad work" where a bunch of em jump and dance around him and hit the pad once everytime they circled back.
    4. they spar with 100% power. What???????
    5. he wasnt talking to me about the right hook.
    6. he wasnt talking to me about the right hook.
    7. and he's not very intelligent... which i value a lot..

Comment

It IS an aussie punch. Arnie Gregory used it and captured the OPBF belt

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
        True. It also comes a lot more natural to me. Hooking off of the jab is an important combo for me.

Well, it's a little different. The right hook upstairs is a kind of awkward. The right hook to the body is definitely the smoother, more natural punch. It just flows a bit easier.
        mm i suppose it could be... "more natural"...
        but i still feel it comes down to positioning/timing for a punch to be "more natural" than another XD..

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
          1. WELCOME BACK ROCKIN!!!!!!
          2. he wasnt talking to me about the right hook. was to some kid sparring and desperate for power.
          3. i left that gym because 80% of the time was him tell us to hit the bag. sometimes the kids there get lucky and do some silly "pad work" where a bunch of em jump and dance around him and hit the pad once everytime they circled back.
          4. they spar with 100% power. What???????
          5. he wasnt talking to me about the right hook.
          6. he wasnt talking to me about the right hook.
          7. and he's not very intelligent... which i value a lot..
          That's understandable, you leaving, and thanks for the welcome back.

With the sparring, I sparred hard every time in there just about (unless I was with a newbie or some thing). How else do you grow?.

What is the most famous gym that you can name in fairly recent times? What ever gym that you name I can almost assure you that multiple wars were being fought in their sparring ring on a daily basis. Galaxy wasn't famous but we had excellent talent and we all fought wars in the gym, and we all grew...........

Comment

The right hook from and orthodox stance is an awkward punch to throw. As you can already tell, it's weird from distance and works better from the inside.

The key to this shot, is a small step from your right foot to the outside, and then throw the right hook. It's a great shot if you are fighting someone who likes to cover up a lot, so you can sneak that shot outside of their guard.

This is obviously a simply remedy but try and take a small step with your right foot to open the stance up a bit and then throw the right hook so you won't feel as off balance and awkward.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Wrong terminology to me! A right hook with the right hand and the right foot in the back position is an over hand or wide right!
              A left hook thrown in the conventional stance is a shorter punch than any punch with the right hand. Reason being your left foot and shoulder and elbow are further in front of you.
              If you square up inside and throw across your shoulders then I guess you could use the term 'Right hook" but I never heard that term used describing a wide or looping right from an orthodox fighter.

On here everyone makes up their own words and meanings daily, so go on!!!

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
                Mayweather / Cotto fight where Mayweather used a version of the right hand hook to punch around Cotto's guard.

Funnily enough i was just gonna post these gifs.

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Wrong terminology to me! A right hook with the right hand and the right foot in the back position is an over hand or wide right!
                A left hook thrown in the conventional stance is a shorter punch than any punch with the right hand. Reason being your left foot and shoulder and elbow are further in front of you.
                If you square up inside and throw across your shoulders then I guess you could use the term 'Right hook" but I never heard that term used describing a wide or looping right from an orthodox fighter.

On here everyone makes up their own words and meanings daily, so go on!!!

Ray.
                Ray, it's hardly wrong terminology, and frankly I find this reply kind of disrespectful. Calling it an "overhand right", is different than a right hook because it comes from a different angle. Same with calling it a "looping right", that's just too vague because a looping right usually comes over the top. It's not like I just made up this term..

Comment

Your welcomed to call it "MaryAnn" if you like! I'm stating that I never used or heard of that term. I've been in & around boxing my entire life and owned and worked in my gym since 1969 thru 1985 and the gym remains open today run by a former student of mine.
                  I spent time in NYC and Jersey gyms and Hartford and New Haven gyms and never heard that expression unless it from a southpaw fighter.
                  Just stating my opinion about terminology that can chance from era to era and even geographically.

......take a look at the Floyd punch! It lands but it has nothing on it because the arm has lost it's strength angle!!! You want a hook to land at the 45d crook
                  because that's the most powerful angle, pronate the hand and you have power.

...............Sidney is also a good name works male or female well...........

Ray.

Comment

I have a good friend that grew up in boxing, fought amateur and pro, promoted, out of minneapolis. They never used 'overhand right',back then. They called it a right hook.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post

Funnily enough i was just gonna post these gifs.

Ray, it's hardly wrong terminology, and frankly I find this reply kind of disrespectful. Calling it an "overhand right", is different than a right hook because it comes from a different angle. Same with calling it a "looping right", that's just too vague because a looping right usually comes over the top. It's not like I just made up this term..
                      Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                      I have a good friend that grew up in boxing, fought amateur and pro, promoted, out of minneapolis. They never used 'overhand right',back then. They called it a right hook.
                      You are correct, there is such a thing as a right hook from an orthodox stance, and it's very different than an over hand right or "looping" right.

Some trainers say there's no such thing as a right hook, but if you really examine the punch, of course there is. It's coming from a different angle, and trajectory. It also is meant to beat the guard from the outside just like a left hook.

Ray might be Rockin, I think they might be the same person.

Comment

Working...
                      X