No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather: Pull Counters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather: Pull Counters

The "Pull Counter", a move by which a boxer purposely draws an attack from his opponent, usually the jab, which he then evades, and counters with his own attack (usually a straight right hand).

Of course, this is not a move created by Mayweather. However, he arguably executes this move better than other fighter in recent years. I have made a short video showcasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. using the Pull Counter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW4axdazip8

It's a fairly simplistic move, but like most boxing techniques, it requires a lot of practice. You'll find that after constant repetition, the move becomes almost instinctive. You learn to react to the subtle body movements made by an opponent as they are about to throw their jab, small throwing signals.

I find the pull counter to be a great addition to ones arsenal as it is a weapon that can be used in almost any sort of fight.

You could use it when moving and boxing on the outside, whilst your opponent is coming at you. It makes them think that little more when they're throwing the jab, trying to pin your against the ropes. Alternatively, it could be used when you're moving forward, and being the aggressor. Mayweather used the pull counter in this effect against Shane Mosley, again, making his opponent a little more hesitant to throw their jab, especially if they're accustom to throwing pawing/lazy jabs.

Like any counter-shot, you do not want to overuse it in a fight (or in sparring). If you're frequently trying to land the pull counter, you will become predictable, and your opponent can time you with their very own counter (such did Maidana against Mayweather in the second round).

Initially when practicing the move, I'd advise to throw your counter-right without maximum power, but with more precision. Once you become comfortable with the technique, you can start to apply more speed and power.

Also, be sure not to lean too forward, and off balance when trying to 'bait' your opponent into throwing the jab. You want to just a little forward, and off the centre line, so that you can quickly pull back and counter. If you lean too far forward, it will take you far longer to pull back, and you'll be hit on your way out.

I hope this helps those interested in this move.
    Last edited by TouchofDeath; 09-28-2016, 06:03 PM.

Good stuff. You for sure want to create a false line of attack off the center line with pull counters, to buy yourself the time and distance to get out of the way of incoming punches.

It's not as easy as it looks and takes a lot of practice.

Comment

Working...
    X