Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone still think wladamir was a better fighter than Vitali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“I remember watching Vitali train when both brothers were training in L.A.,” said Steward, who also trained Lewis. “I watched him spar and I noticed that he gets a feeling of when a punch is about to come and he moves out of position just as this is happening, and at the same time he throws a punch while he’s moving.

“I thought to myself, 'No wonder he’s so difficult.' I had never noticed this before. When Lennox fought him, I thought his height would be a problem but I knew that Lennox had handled taller fighters before so I wasn’t worried about it.

“After that fight, Lennox told me ‘I know he looked easy on the films but he’s tough to fight.’ Vitali has subtle movement and that intuition and a gangly way of punching that just makes him very, very difficult to beat.”

Steward also mentioned a psychological advantage that Klitschko often imposes on his opponents.

“He’s not known for this because he’s a gentleman, just like his brother, but Vitali is a very intimidating man,” Steward said. “He intimidates his opponents at the press conferences and at the weigh-ins. I’ve seen him do it to his brother’s opponents when we’re in Germany. Just his upright posture, the size of his body and the intensity in his eyes when he looks down on a man makes an impression. He’s always by his brother’s side when Wladimir fights and I’m telling you I can feel it from Vitali. He’s an intimidator.”

“It’s more than his height,” said Merchant, who will work Saturday’s show. “Yes, he knows how to use his height, but he’s also so strong that he can hurt you with arm punches. So he doesn’t have to risk getting in range to land. He doesn’t have to lean in or step in with his punches.

“And he’s patient. He’s fine with keeping his opponent at arms length until his power grinds them down. He’s awkward, which makes it difficult for opponents to time him, and he’s also very tough. If you can catch him with a good shot, chances are that he can take your best shot.”

Height and reach, which Klitschko uses both offensively and defensively. Phenomenal strength and power, which can wear down the toughest opponent. And a rock-sold chin, which can absorb any lucky shot that might get through. That's what Arreola must deal with Saturday.

The above quotes is why i have him at number one ,head to head .....Wlad would have to be perfect to get a win which he could if they fought 3 times ,Vitali wins 2 .
    Last edited by juggernaut666; 08-10-2016, 02:56 AM.

Comment

No Vitali was better. More facets to his game and better able to adjust. Wlad is brilliant at one or two things -- if they don't work he has no plan B.

If you put them in with a string of bums then Wlad would probably make quicker, easier work of them ... but put them in with greats and I think Vitali would give a better account of himself.

Comment

Vitali was undoubtedly the better fighter of the two, I have been saying this for years and years. He is a proper fighter - he has some key ingredients which Wladimir lacks...a chin, elite stamina, and killer instinct.

Wladimir's on paper accomplishments are far greater, but to me personally what Vitali proved in 6 rounds with Lennox Lewis was more impressive than anything Wladimir did in 10 years. You can argue about what may have happened in that Lewis-Vitali fight and its outcome, but what did happen is that Vitali was ahead after 6 rounds, and although he was taking some serious damage, he showed he belonged at that level.

It's probably the last truly elite heavyweight fight there has been.

Comment

Wlad achieved more, reigned as champion for longer and was THE man.

H2H what would have happened? I dunno. There's often a lot of talk that Vitali is more of a fighter than Wlad, more willing to get into a scrap but he used much the same tactics as he bro. He kept fighters at range and took them out in later rounds when they were tired. He was just as "boring".

The only real difference is that Vitali had a better chin.

Comment

vitali is by far the better out of the two robots

Comment

Wladimir was the more talented boxer, and better athlete. He was faster, moved better and had more one punch power, unfortunately he had that major weakness with a weak chin which forced him to resort to a safety first approach which involved a lot of clinching and avoiding inside fighting all together.

Vitali wasn't as naturally gifted, but didn't have any major weaknesses. He was much more durable and willing to take chances.

Wladimir would look more impressive winning against the same opponents, but Vitali would win a head to head fight.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                “I remember watching Vitali train when both brothers were training in L.A.,” said Steward, who also trained Lewis. “I watched him spar and I noticed that he gets a feeling of when a punch is about to come and he moves out of position just as this is happening, and at the same time he throws a punch while he’s moving.

“I thought to myself, 'No wonder he’s so difficult.' I had never noticed this before. When Lennox fought him, I thought his height would be a problem but I knew that Lennox had handled taller fighters before so I wasn’t worried about it.

“After that fight, Lennox told me ‘I know he looked easy on the films but he’s tough to fight.’ Vitali has subtle movement and that intuition and a gangly way of punching that just makes him very, very difficult to beat.”

Steward also mentioned a psychological advantage that Klitschko often imposes on his opponents.

“He’s not known for this because he’s a gentleman, just like his brother, but Vitali is a very intimidating man,” Steward said. “He intimidates his opponents at the press conferences and at the weigh-ins. I’ve seen him do it to his brother’s opponents when we’re in Germany. Just his upright posture, the size of his body and the intensity in his eyes when he looks down on a man makes an impression. He’s always by his brother’s side when Wladimir fights and I’m telling you I can feel it from Vitali. He’s an intimidator.”

“It’s more than his height,” said Merchant, who will work Saturday’s show. “Yes, he knows how to use his height, but he’s also so strong that he can hurt you with arm punches. So he doesn’t have to risk getting in range to land. He doesn’t have to lean in or step in with his punches.

“And he’s patient. He’s fine with keeping his opponent at arms length until his power grinds them down. He’s awkward, which makes it difficult for opponents to time him, and he’s also very tough. If you can catch him with a good shot, chances are that he can take your best shot.”

Height and reach, which Klitschko uses both offensively and defensively. Phenomenal strength and power, which can wear down the toughest opponent. And a rock-sold chin, which can absorb any lucky shot that might get through. That's what Arreola must deal with Saturday.

The above quotes is why i have him at number one ,head to head .....Wlad would have to be perfect to get a win which he could if they fought 3 times ,Vitali wins 2 .
                Excellent post, green sent.

I agree with the last sentence 100%. Wlad would need to be just perfect to beat Vitali. Vitali is the one who is a naturally better fighter, but Wlad can use athleticism and boxing a bit better.

Vitali, although achieved a LOT, is an underachiever in my eyes. It is such a shame he wasn't a few years older, so he would have a proper chance against Tyson, Bowe, Holyfield, Lennox when they were in their primes.

I don't want to go down VitalivsLennox route, but if nothing else that fight proved Vitali is an extremely hard to beat.

Comment

Wladimir was the more schooled picture perfect boxer he couldn't do what Vitali did because of his chin not being the greatest.

Vitali is the type of dude you could match up with anyone in the history of boxing and say he could win that but then again you could say the same about Wladimir the only problem is could he avoid getting hit cleanly for 12-15 rounds.
                  Vitali has more to his game because of his chin which makes him very tough to beat.

Comment

I always preferred Vitali to Wlad myself. Wlad was a little more skilled but Vitali had that killer in him, you couldn't really discourage him. Unfortunately he got hurt alot and didnt want it as bad as Wlad.

Comment

Vitali was a lot more exciting. I couldn't stand all that holding.

Comment

Working...
                      X