Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were a trainer and trained you son as a pro fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I trained my son to box from the age of 11yrs till he was 18yrs. During that time he boxed in the J.O. (junior olympic) program and into the Open Class and on his request a few fights as a professional.
    Pro boxing was NOT in my plan for him as a boxer because he wasn't a great fighter with above average power! When you don't have the mentality to fight along with your boxing skills and lack power you won'y fare well in boxing without a backer and promoter who could "guide" your career!!! HA!!
    I have never seen a father/son combination do well once the pro level advances into the third year and I've known a few besides my own experience. It most times has alot to do with the same "voice" in the ear unless the experince from the voice is extensive!
    My son was a very successfull amatuer boxer who compiled a 82-25 record and was a 6 time state champ, 4 time regional champ and 2 time national champ! As a pro he lost a close dcs. to Ray Olivares in a 6 round fight in Olivares hometown. My son had deafeated him twice, once in the J.O. and once in the open. Without that extra power to "take" fights away from the judges the boxer will have a tough time in this game. Thats the way it was and is! I think he finished at 8-4 and was actually stopped twice where as in the amatuers he was stopped once in over one hundred bouts.
    Yes dads feel the punches abit more when its your own flesh & blood!! Ray.

Comment

In order to be a good fighter one must have as ****ed up relationship with his father as possible. That gives him a killer instinct. Its kind of sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by BartBears View Post
        In order to be a good fighter one must have as ****ed up relationship with his father as possible. That gives him a killer instinct. Its kind of sad but true.
        That is nonsense mate. Show me some evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
          That is nonsense mate. Show me some evidence.
          floyd mayweather
          manny pacquiao

Comment

Originally posted by Android18 View Post
            floyd mayweather
            manny pacquiao
            That is not evidence mate.

If I were to give you names of 2 good fighters who have good relationships with their dad's, would you accept you accept this line of reasoning is flawed?

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
              I would want my kid to get an excellent education and get a high paying job and pay top $$ to watch fight up close live. I wouldn't train him as a boxer.

Boxing might be a hobby when he is an adult.
              Off topic but academic achievement and financial success do not ensure happiness. I would want my child to find that thing that makes his life complete. If it's boxing then so be it.

Originally posted by eurochamp View Post
              A father training his son has to be one of the hardest job's in the world.
              Agreed. The ones who can stomach it are the coldest fathers in the world. They project their own ambitions on to their son and refuse to stop fights even when their son is getting badly hurt, because it's like they're stopping themselves.

Originally posted by paulf View Post
              Shane Mosely's dad was fine with in. Ruined him.
              Mosley never took a beating under his dad. He was dominated by Forrest and Winky but it's not like he took a lot of punishment in those fights. His worst beating was against Canelo, when he was trained by Nazim.
              Last edited by Light_Speed; 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

If he punched my son in the balls I would jump in the ring to handle ****...

I would whoop Joel's ass too.

Comment

My son would never experience those things as he'd be too good.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    Shane Mosely's dad was fine with in. Ruined him.
                    He'd still train his son now if he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                      Mosley never took a beating under his dad. He was dominated by Forrest and Winky but it's not like he took a lot of punishment in those fights. His worst beating was against Canelo, when he was trained by Nazim.
                      Couldn't disagree more. They should have thrown the towel in the first Forrest bout after Vernon landed those massive shots early. Mosley survived but never looked the same again after that fight IMO. It wasnt like Vargas post Trinidad where he had physically lost something, but he was more tentative and never fought like he did pre-Forrest.

Comment

Working...
                      X