No announcement yet.

WBO was considered a 2nd tier title until 2004

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
    It didn't go from nothing to something overnight. It gained most of its legitimacy slowly, largely based on Hamed and Calzaghe's insistence that it was a legitimate belt.
    just like what i posted earlier. google the WBO existance. when did the WBO get recognized as a world title? that's all you need to type...

Comment

Why the f uck do I need to type something into google for you? I lived through it.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
        just like what i posted earlier. google the WBO existance. when did the WBO get recognized as a world title? that's all you need to type...
        I'm about the same age as you, and i remember when it (WBO) didn't mean ****.

I think Hamed beating guys with "legit' alphabet belts and then vacating may have helped.

But for god's sake. wait until some kid in the future says Tyson wasn't Undisputed in 1989 bc of the WBO belt. I willgo Archie Bunker on his azz

Comment

Originally posted by totalstranga View Post
          I'm about the same age as you, and i remember when it (WBO) didn't mean ****.

I think Hamed beating guys with "legit' alphabet belts and then vacating may have helped.

But for god's sake. wait until some kid in the future says Tyson wasn't Undisputed in 1989 bc of the WBO belt. I willgo Archie Bunker on his azz
          lol! they will say that about lennox...

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            lol! they will say that about lennox...
            If they do then I'll just have more idiots to laugh at. Lennox was champ and no worthless WBO belt can change that.

Poet

Comment

I remember watching the very first WBO title fight.

I thought Hearns was going to try to Kinchen in the 4th round.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                I remember watching the very first WBO title fight.

I thought Hearns was going to try to Kinchen in the 4th round.
                Hearns was fortunate to even get the decision in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Hearns was fortunate to even get the decision in that fight.
                  He really was but it set up the second hearns Leonard showdown didn't?

If it did that was why he got the descion.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    If they do then I'll just have more idiots to laugh at. Lennox was champ and no worthless WBO belt can change that.

Poet
                    well said...

Comment

Good thread Joe Dirt! Haha. . .

I never knew that. Always assumed it had been relevant for a few decades.

It shows how a sanctioning body can go from second tier, to first.

Sometimes it doesn't even bother me anymore, though. I mean, it's not like real fans don't know who is a deserving champion, and who isn't. If they can be used as tools to help make better fights for the fans, then it's not a big deal IMO.

Also, fighting for these titles will always keep a boxer form negotiating for a 10 rounder, rather than a 12 rounder.

Comment

Working...
                      X