cotto's jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cotto's jab

im not all that impressed.

He fights with his strong hand forward, in an unorthodox stance. thats fine by me, if you got a good right hand, but nope.

Yes the jab was fluid, and nice to see, bloodied mayweathers nose, bla bla bla, but its his strong hand at the front, he had nothing to follow it up with at all.

Jab is a finder, to follow up with something else, you cant just go into a fight and think, im going to jab him all night, thats just cr4p.

I would of rated him, if he was jabbing, then actually following up with a right hand, but nah, jab, jab....

If that was Cotto's weaker hand, and he had something to follow his nice jab up with, then he would of won more rounds. but nope, not even a left hook.

anyway, anyone not named mayweather, who faught that Cotto who looked very determined and wanted to dent that record, anyone at 154 and below would of lost IMO. maybe apart from manny, cause he might be to fast still at 154, but thats another thread..

i think people get more determined against mayweather, for obvious reasons. the weight helped Cotto too.

anyway great fight.

gonna go jam to this and smoke a fat spliff, u get meh?

I understand your point. One of the jab's purposes is to set up other punches. Jabbing with your dominant hand defeats this purpose since the hand in the back will be weak.

Cotto's jab in his fight with Mayweather did a great job at helping him with distance and setting up other punches though.

I'm not sure if he would have done as well as he did if he didn't have as strong of a jab by jabbing with the weaker hand.

Comment

I disagree entirely.

His jab is very good. The fact his straight right hand isn't too good doesn't diminish how good his jab is at all, imo. It limits him as a fighter slightly, yes, but it doesn't really take away from his jab to me. Although, I can see your point that the jab is used to set up punches and if you haven't got anything to follow it up with it defeats the purpose etc.

Comment

nice jab,very nice jab.but he is lacking the follow up right hand,thats why he relies on left hooks so much

Comment

Every good southpaw turned conventional I know of doesn't have that good of a right hand. They usually always have a strong left hook. I never understand why people convert.

Comment

Cotto has a better jab than any boxers from 140lbs-154lbs.

Comment

Don't even know why people entertain threads like this, if a jabs only purpose was to set up other punches Larry Holmes Jab would not be distinguished from Shane Mosley's.

A good jab can do more than set up the next punch, it can serve as a power punch, it can disrupt rhythm, it can act as a defensive too, means of controlling the pace of the fight etc.

You're taking a simplistic approach to the purpose of a jab which has led you to the wrong conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
                Cotto has a better jab than any boxers from 140lbs-154lbs.
                ok, so he should, his strong hand is his jab. got sweet F A to follow up on it though. if other boxers went down that cotto route, strong hand first, he wouldnt have the best jab. IMO, get me?

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                  Don't even know why people entertain threads like this, if a jabs only purpose was to set up other punches Larry Holmes Jab would not be distinguished from Shane Mosley's.

A good jab can do more than set up the next punch, it can serve as a power punch, it can disrupt rhythm, it can act as a defensive too, means of controlling the pace of the fight etc.

You're taking a simplistic approach to the purpose of a jab which has led you to the wrong conclusion.
                  Bingo! Cotto's jab is actually a power punch and he uses it in many different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                    Bingo! Cotto's jab is actually a power punch and he uses it in many different ways.
                    why didnt he use it many ways against mayweather, his most recent fight. i thought yeeah cotto, u got him with a jab, what else you got. he had nothing else to offer then a stiff jab.

punch stats will put it as a jab

Comment

Working...
                    X