Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsession with moving up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree 100 %. The true GGG haters will still hate him if he moves up, down or sideways. Boxers should stay at their best weight and try to dominate that weight by fighting the best boxers at that weight. If they move up to a weight class that is too heavy for them they are no longer as dominant and more likely to lose a fight. In most weights there are 4 champions. A boxer could win titles in heavier weights by fighting the weakest champion. I think Broner has won titles at 130, 135, 140, and 147. He never has been the best fighter in any of those weight classes and he never will be. Broner moving up and winning all those titles doesn't make him any better than he is which is a good fighter but nothing special. Look what happened to Donaire and Gonzalez when the moved up to weight classes that were to heavy for them.

Comment

I think it sounds cooler to most fans to say a guy is "a two weight division champion" or "four weight division champion" then a guys "has been champion for 4 years" or is "the undisputed unified champion".

I think its that simple.

And to go more down the rabbithole with this I think thats cuz more people than ever realize that titles have less meaning then they ever have so its more impressive to challenge yourself in new weight divisions vs bigger guys than it is to keep your bs belt(s) in one division that you've already proven yourself in.

Thats my thinking anyway. Or thats my thinking on the actual topic, I'm mixed on whats more impressive & its a case by case thing to me cuz I think it can be great or suboptimal to go either way in certain situations.

For example Crawford moving up to 147 where the action is is a more +EV move for his legacy then beating nobody anyone cares about for the next 2-3 years at 140 which he could surely do. But in GGG's case at 160 it seems like getting more ingrained at 160 would lead him to more big fights vs the bigger names in the division than if he had moved up to 168 in a one fighter division to fight Ward & wait til the young guys got better after Ward to enhance his legacy whatever happened vs Ward. So its case by case thing if we are answering the question with a honest & reasonable thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by NYG View Post
        Whats with this obsession with moving up in weight on this site? Guys like TC and GGG get crucified for wanting to unify the belts first for some strange reason. Why?

Guys that never moved up, and i'm sure there is more.

Hagler
        Monzon? Could be wrong
        Froch
        Tszyu
        Pryor

Etc.

If TC and GGG stay at their weight and never move up and just dominate their divisions, why would that be wrong? Do people want to see good fights or just increase their risks of losing?

Sometimes guys moving up means they avoid top guys in their own division and thats eliminates big fights.
        Ahh Maxi's alt!!!

By the way, you forgot TC is a 2 Division Champ and is speaking of going up to 147..

Fail for trying to make TC and GGG synonymous just to justify GGG's mgmt

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Whenever there is a really really good black fighter, NSB wants him to move up to get beat so they can say he was overrated.

Whenever there is a really really good white fighter, NSB wants him to move up to get beat so they can say he was overrated.

See the trend?

Truthfully, just as posters love to say, boxing is about the money, so if you are looking to cement legacy in a sport, BOXING is the wrong sport to take up.
          Whenever there's a good white fighter? This is common occurence at NSB? Who are these fighters. #whenever

Comment

It is a matter of choice and options really.

A guy can do whatever with his career, and there are many ways it can work out. A guy can hang out in one spot clean out a division and maybe it stays hot or heats up again before they leave. Or a guy can go seeking out challenges above, but the grass is not always greener.

It is like if you go to a stadium with a friend and get separated, do you stand in one spot because they will eventually pass by or do you go looking for them.

I personally like guys to be a bit more proactive with their careers making moves on their own without waiting around for things to happen. Still both methods can work and sometimes waiting around will get you what you wanted all along as is the case with Golovkin.

Comment

"When Golovkin becomes bigger in popularity he's gonna have to move up, it may be even 175." -Abel Sanchez (2014)

Why would Abel fictionalize this scenario if Gennady's capacity were 160? Or rather, has Gennady become popular? Or rather, what happened with the WBO priority and the possibility of fighting in Astana since Nilson Tapia?

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                Ahh Maxi's alt!!!

By the way, you forgot TC is a 2 Division Champ and is speaking of going up to 147..

Fail for trying to make TC and GGG synonymous just to justify GGG's mgmt
                But i mentioned like 5 other fighters you dumbass. Admit it, you want fighters to move up to lose, you dont give a damn about good fights

Comment

Working...
                X