No announcement yet.

How on earth did pbc fail?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How on earth did pbc fail?

I remembered when pbc first started I would read on this forum and others that pbc would take over the boxing world. top rank and gbp would be out of the business. pbc had half a billion and over 200 fighters signed. they burned through that money and some fighters have left plus pbc got kicked off fox espn nbc and other networks. What happened? Pbc was supposed to bring boxing back to free TV and the mainstream. Where did it all go wrong?

Grossly overpaying fighters who werent even that good with no personality and matching them with easy competition
    And boxing is dead in the states

I feel sorry for the investors

Comment

Just like Floyd said, I believe many PBC fighters were over pampered and over paid to the point that making fights between top PBC fighters was/is nearly impossible. Instead of building upon the momentum many of their fighters had, e.g., Danny Garcia, PBC made them complacent to the point where the hype fizzled out, leading to the lack of a PPV fighter.

Those are just a couple of the reasons why PBC has failed to take over boxing. Not to mention them stretching themselves to thin by going many different networks before they could establish their brand.
      Last edited by Pechorin; 07-08-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Called it when it started and the reasons I said it wouldn't work is why it didn't work.

Comment

Competing with big boxing fights on hbo was their worst mistake, ontop of that the only good fights in the history of pbc was thurman Porter and thurman Garcia the rest were shat.

Comment

PBC failed for a couple different reasons. Haymon's strategy seemed to be to blow a bunch of money on time buys hoping that a network would offer them a long term deal but this never materialized. Having the fights on a bunch of different networks at irregular times made it hard for many fans to follow. I think Haymon also signed too many fighters so a lot of guys were left inactive and some fighters were placed in mismatches and "showcase" fights that did nothing to advance their careers. He also wasted a lot of money on pointless ambience stuff like fancy lighting, ring walk ramps, and Hans Zimmer music. All in all PBC was executed pretty horribly. Haymon did a nice job swindling those hedge fund guys out of their money but he didn't end up accomplishing much. "Free boxing doe".

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK KNOT View Post
              I remembered when pbc first started I would read on this forum and others that pbc would take over the boxing world. top rank and gbp would be out of the business. pbc had half a billion and over 200 fighters signed. they burned through that money and some fighters have left plus pbc got kicked off fox espn nbc and other networks. What happened? Pbc was supposed to bring boxing back to free TV and the mainstream. Where did it all go wrong?
              Apparently, Berto vs Alexander is on Fox.

Comment

When you pay $10 K fighters Millions you will go broke quickly kind of like paying a burger flipper $25 an hour

Comment

I'm glad. A lot of these guys were getting paid high and delivering low quality. You just can't run a business like that. It was bound to come crashing down eventually. With all that money, they really could have done something special. Unfortunately, they plssed it all way.

pbc

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK KNOT View Post
                    Pretty stupid troll thread.

PBC was created so Haymon could have leverage without HBO. Top Rank went out and copied Haymon and raised money too so they could have leverage without HBO.

PBC is on FOX next week. Kicked off? You're not making any sense.

The ESPN & NBC time buys expired. PBC went to who was offering the most money. Showtime & FOX.

Golden Boy is ****ed after Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                    X