No announcement yet.

If he had to pick, Kavanagh would like Nate Diaz next for McGregor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If he had to pick, Kavanagh would like Nate Diaz next for McGregor

Over the weekend, John Kavanagh, head coach of former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion Conor McGregor, suggested that his star pupil’s next fight would be against current 155-pound champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. So confident was Kavanagh that he said he’d be willing to bet “almost anything” that the lightweight superfight happens before the end of the year. But if he had his druthers, Nurmagomedov wouldn’t be the next fight up for “Notorious.”

In his sitdown with Robin Black over the weekend (h/t MMANytt), Kavanagh said that though the Nurmagomedov fight is the one on the horizon, he would prefer Conor revisit an old foe, Nate Diaz.

“Nate Diaz is my favorite fight, by the way,” Kavanagh said. “If I could pick a fight for the next one it would be that trilogy. I realize it’s not the fan-favorite. The fan favorite, without a close second, is the Khabib fight, but for me, it’s the Nate Diaz rematch and I think the Khabib fight is a lot more straight forward.”

Diaz and McGregor had a pair of bouts in 2016 that elevated the sport to new heights, breaking pay-per-view records and make both fighters household names. Diaz became the first man to defeat McGregor in the UFC, submitting him as a short-notice replacement. In the rematch, McGregor again struggled with the bigger fighter, winning a tightly contested majority decision. For Kavanagh, overcoming those difficulties and the stylistic challenges Diaz presents are a more intriguing fight for McGregor than, Kavanagh implies, “walking through” Nurmagomedov and winning back the lightweight title he was stripped of.

”For me, he had already lost to him, it’s a bigger guy, Conor’s skill set is shutting people’s consciousness off and he’s impossible – a freaking Homer Simpson head, he just keeps moving forward,” Kavanagh said. “Conor’s bravery in [the fight], I’ve seen Conor fight a lot of people that he’s able to walk through and that’s great, it’s fun and you raise a belt, but it doesn’t it doesn’t really excite me that much, not really. But that fight, if you’d been around him, by the time he’d got backstage [after losing the first Diaz fight], we were watching that night, and then the next morning he was not off the phone until Lorenzo and Dana said that would be his next fight.”

McGregor and Diaz have both been absent from the cage since 2016 but that hasn’t stopped both from getting in to dust-ups outside of it. McGregor is currently negotiating a plea deal for attacking a UFC media bus in relation to UFC 223 and Diaz was allegedly involved in a brawl at a Sacramento jiu-jitsu competition over the weekend. Perhaps both of them can put their energies to better use and settle their rivalry once and for all.

I'd love to see a third fight between them. I heard Nate didn't have much to do with that scuffle. It was his stablemates. Who knows what to believe. I say Nate takes the fight if they meet again. Conor doesn't seem to be living much of a "fighter life" of late. Living the good life, as is his right.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
      I'd love to see a third fight between them. I heard Nate didn't have much to do with that scuffle. It was his stablemates. Who knows what to believe. I say Nate takes the fight if they meet again. Conor doesn't seem to be living much of a "fighter life" of late. Living the good life, as is his right.
      So would I, but it seems that neither guy wants to fight.

Comment

Conor wins at LW 10 times out of 10 vs Nate, so no surprise he'd go for the known quantity rather than Khabib straight away.

His biggest weakness is his cardio. He has superior striking but that only hold up for 2 rounds at WW (almost 2 rounds in rematch). At LW, using the right pace I could see Mcgregor winning the first 3 rounds with his cardio, or at least the first 2 emphatically and letting off for round 3 and conserving his energy.

I predicted Nate would beat him in the first match at 170.
        I predicted Conor would win the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
          Conor wins at LW 10 times out of 10 vs Nate, so no surprise he'd go for the known quantity rather than Khabib straight away.

His biggest weakness is his cardio. He has superior striking but that only hold up for 2 rounds at WW (almost 2 rounds in rematch). At LW, using the right pace I could see Mcgregor winning the first 3 rounds with his cardio, or at least the first 2 emphatically and letting off for round 3 and conserving his energy.

I predicted Nate would beat him in the first match at 170.
          I predicted Conor would win the rematch.
          I dont know. Second fight was VERY CLOSE. Conor barely squeezed hat one out.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I dont know. Second fight was VERY CLOSE. Conor barely squeezed hat one out.
            Agreed, but his cardio after eating up in weight and not being fully acclimated gives him roughly 2 rounds at peak performance, at LW I'd wager he'd have at least 3 rounds at peak performance before he gasses, provided he doesn't KO Diaz.

If it were to go to decision I'd see it going 3 rounds to 2 in CM's favour.

Another thing is Mcgregor and Diaz will probably both weigh in at around 170 come fight night, as opposed to Mcgregor being 170 and Diaz being 180+. Diaz used his height and weight advantage in the clinch and against the cage to tire Mcgregor out faster.

I just don't see him beating CM at 155, even in that second fight you could see he didn't come out like a bat out of hell and was taking his time and landing some leg kicks which played a role over the five rounds.

I honestly think Kevin Lee is the worst matchup for CM at 155 as he has striking that can stand with him and has wrestling. Khabib is 50/50, he can be caught but he can also bring Mcgregor to ground. Tony can and will be hit, Lee almost finished him - and he had staph infection.

Guys like Poirier and Gaethje are too one-dimensional and Eddie...well, he got smoked.

Comment

Working...
            X