No announcement yet.

Fighter of the Year Nominations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighter of the Year Nominations

Well, as my previous thread (which will hopefully be stickied) was about the best fights, this is about the other big award, fighter of the year.

So, you know what to do, list your top three nominations and I'll sort through them and count them. Preferably list them in order of preference. I know things are subject to change due to Loma and Rigo, so theres time for people to make amendments.

Your top ranked fighter gets 3 points, second gets 2 and third gets 1. Keep that in mind, anyone not posting a top 3 will have their votes invalidated.

As of now:

1. Anthony Joshua - no reason to explain

2. Terence Crawford - some distance behind but based off his achievements rather than simply opposition, this guy has to be up there

3. Sor Rungvisai - if the first fight was controversial and no one took him seriously, the second left no room for an argument
    Terence Crawford
    14.62%
    Sor Rungvisai
    15.38%
    Gennady Golovkin
    10.77%
    Anthony Joshua
    14.62%
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    44.62%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by soul_survivor; 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM.

Its a tough one, as many good fights weve had this year there aint really a stand out. Pretty much agree with everything you've said, think I'd have Rungvisai number 1 at the moment. See the outcome of Rigo/Loma though.

Comment

Lomachenko if he beats Rigondeaux.

This is a breakdown I did:

Had Mikey Garcia fought one more time this year against a solid opponent he would have been the strongest condidate, but since he will only end up with 2 fights that opens up the discussion.

A lot of people are going to choose Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (aka Wisaksil Wangek), but lets analyze it.
      Last year when Ward won a controversial decision, against Kovalev, people dismissed him as a possible fighter of the year because of the controversial decision.
      Sor Rungvisai first fight was a controversial decision against Chocolatito. Even if you think Sor Rungvisai won the first fight that still doesn't take away from the fact that the majority of people felt that Chocolatito won the first fight.
      We have to keep it fair. We can't say one guy doesn't deserve it after a controversial win and the other guy does.
      Remember there is a difference from a close competitive fight and a controversial fight.

Before anybody says that Chocolatito was the consensus P4P that is not true. A lot of people were ranking Ward, GGG, and Crawford ahead of him.
      So he was not the consensus P4P as it was very much still debated.

If Lomachenko beats Rigo he would have a strong case for FOTY. He would end up with 3 fights (Two against World Champions, against Top 10 ranked opposition at the time, and against a top 5 P4P in many people's opinion).
      I know people are going to say Rigo is small, but this is the fight many of you wanted you can't back out now.
      That also didn't stop people from giving Crawford the 2014 FOTY when he beat a smaller Gamboa.

Loma has to beat Rigo first obviously, but if he does then he may have the strongest case. Whether people like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        Well, as my previous thread (which will hopefully be stickied) was about the best fights, this is about the other big award, fighter of the year.

So, you know what to do, list your top three nominations and I'll sort through them and count them. Preferably list them in order of preference. I know things are subject to change due to Loma and Rigo, so theres time for people to make amendments.

As of now:

1. Anthony Joshua - no reason to explain

2. Terence Crawford - some distance behind but based off his achievements rather than simply opposition, this guy has to be up there

3. Sor Rungvisai - if the first fight was controversial and no one took him seriously, the second left no room for an argument
        Actually you do need to EXPLAIN and JUSTIFY that one!

Joshua beats a 41 year old Heavyweight coming off an 18 month lay off and a Heavy Defeat to his previous opponent and Also beating a Fringe Heavyweight Contender by a controversial Stoppage does not make you a CLEAR NUMBER 1 FIGHTER OF THE YEAR.

Comment

Terence Crawford. He unified ALL the four major belts in his division.

Something Joshua has yet to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Terence Crawford. He unified ALL the four major belts in his division.

Something Joshua has yet to do.
            Crawford and Sircricket or whatever he is calling himself now have way stronger cases than Joshua

Comment

Terence Crawford

Comment

If one of lomachenko or rigondeax wins clearly then they've got a good shot. I don't really see any stand outs tbh, maybe mikey Garcia but is broner really a top win any more? can make a case for golovkin cause in mine and most peoples eyes he beat two world class fighters which is more than anyone else has done that i can remember this year. know that thai guy had a good win but i don't really consider that as real mens prizefighting tbh, are the size of children and no one watches them.

Comment

I go Crawford

Comment

The fighter of the year rightfully belongs to the winner if it is a clear winner of Lom/Rigo because of the 2 gold medals each of them have and the historical significance of that and the high skill level of each.

Comment

Working...
                    X