No announcement yet.

which fight was joe louis best win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which fight was joe louis best win?

I am going to say the second schemling fight. anyone disagree?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    Nope, although the title win over Braddock wasn't too bad either.

Comment

Walcott or Baer(Max).

Louis performance in the Baer fight is one of the most complete performances you'll ever see. Period.

Comment

Well its certainly the most dominant performance over another legendary heavyweight (on paper). But for me Schmelling wasn't himself that night......he seemed depleted by the occasion and didn't even attempt anything other than one right hand cross in return.

Max Baer clearly was pretty scared of Louis before a punch was thrown too. He wasn't the super-confident guy who tore into Schmelling and Carnera a few years before. Another great on paper win though!

But Louis's best win for me was the return with Jersey Joe Walcott. It wasn't Louis's best performance being post prime, though the knockout was terrific, vintage Louis. But 'that' version of Walcott was clearly at the peak of his powers and was (for me) vastly superior to any Louis opponent up to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Well its certainly the most dominant performance over another legendary heavyweight (on paper). But for me Schmelling wasn't himself that night......he seemed depleted by the occasion and didn't even attempt anything other than one right hand cross in return.

Max Baer clearly was pretty scared of Louis before a punch was thrown too. He wasn't the super-confident guy who tore into Schmelling and Carnera a few years before. Another great on paper win though!

But Louis's best win for me was the return with Jersey Joe Walcott. It wasn't Louis's best performance being post prime, though the knockout was terrific, vintage Louis. But 'that' version of Walcott was clearly at the peak of his powers and was (for me) vastly superior to any Louis opponent up to that point.

I don't really think any one round knockout can be a "dominant" performance... there's really little we can learn about a fighter in less than 3 minutes.

To me, the best he ever looked against a decent opponent was against a very game but overmatched Braddock.

Comment

I say Schmeling II because it was a monumental occasion and Joe was primed like no one else in history for a fight. That fight was pure Joe Louis- a devastating array of punching and finishing power and technique. It's the night/fight you look at and think maybe no one in history could have defeated him.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              I say Schmeling II because it was a monumental occasion and Joe was primed like no one else in history for a fight. That fight was pure Joe Louis- a devastating array of punching and finishing power and technique. It's the night/fight you look at and think maybe no one in history could have defeated him.
              But just watch Schmelling the entire fight. He barely attempted anything! He was like a rabbit in the headlights. He had chances to throw punches......there were lulls in the action; but he only threw one right hand.

Joe Louis would have no doubt destroyed Schmelling that night regardless. But Joe looked far from unbeatable that night, his performance was flattered by Schmelling's no show.

I don't blame Schmelling; the political pressure must have been super intense and he had the bravery to get in the ring.....which is far more than most men. But Schmelling froze in a similar manner to Spinks or Seldon against Tyson or Golota against Lewis.

Its far more impressive to see Louis win against a live opponent who actually turned up to win and demonstrated a desire and competence in attempting just that......

Comment

But just watch Schmelling the entire fight. He barely attempted anything! He was like a rabbit in the headlights. He had chances to throw punches......there were lulls in the action; but he only threw one right hand.

Joe Louis would have no doubt destroyed Schmelling that night regardless. But Joe looked far from unbeatable that night, his performance was flattered by Schmelling's no show.

I don't blame Schmelling; the political pressure must have been super intense and he had the bravery to get in the ring.....which is far more than most men. But Schmelling froze in a similar manner to Spinks or Seldon against Tyson or Golota against Lewis.

Its far more impressive to see Louis win against a live opponent who actually turned up to win and demonstrated a desire and competence in attempting just that......
                While I don't personally agree, that is an interesting take on that fight.

Comment

Did Joe Louis not have enormous pressure on him to win? Schmeling was afraid of the guy he had dismantled, but that same guy was not afraid of his conqueror?

That fight, regardless of the state of the opponent, is Joe Louis putting on one of history's most ferocious displays in one of history's biggest fights. If you wanted to introduce someone to Joe Louis.....you wouldn't choose this fight?

Comment

That was arguably his best win, it was certainly his most important win, due to the international political bragging rights at stake. Louis' 13th. round KO of Billy Conn is also a high profile win after trailing the previous 12 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X